2024 Sheep Hunt Conservation Raffles

mt100gr.

WKR
my buddy purchased a table evidently, do I still need to get dinner tickets?
Nope! If you have a seat at his table, your dinner ticket will be in his table packet. You just have to worry about which guns and other cool stuff you want to win!!🤑

Idaho RM Bighorn Lottery (Cost varies) Unlimited

Oregon RM Bighorn Lottery (Cost varies) Unlimited

Wyoming RM Bighorn Supertag ($10 each) Unlimited

Colorado RM Bighorn RMBS ($25) Unlimited Drawing May 4

SCI Governors Chugach Tag Dall ($100) Unlimited Drawing Feb 24

Idaho WSF Stone Sheep Terminus ($250) 1:700 Drawing March 16

California WSF Stone Sheep Sikanni ($100) 1:600 Drawing April 27

Eastern WSF Desert BH La Palmosa ($150) 1:800 Drawing Feb ?

Oregon WSF Desert BH Sonora ($100) 1:700 Drawing May 4

Montana WSF Desert BH Sonora ($250) 1:650

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmmm- that sounds a little (a lot) high. My buddy won a Dall hunt from MT WSF last year and had to pay taxes on it, guess like winning the lotto????

JJ1179

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
The winner of this raffle has to pay $15,000 (estimated) in taxes??? First I’ve ever heard of this for a raffle winner.
That’s as far as I got before I decided I had better not apply. That seems really expensive for a “raffle” prize.

The winner of this raffle has to pay $15,000 (estimated) in taxes??? First I’ve ever heard of this for a raffle winner.
Thank you! Complete horseshit. If the $15K in taxes weren’t enough, I live in FL and I guarantee you if I log on right now and buy tickets it will charge my credit card all day long. Wonder if they just throw my tickets in the trash? Genuinely curious if there is any kind of control, and where it is? Or do I win the hunt and they just post that to cover their asses? I’m sure there are plenty of other people living in these states who are not going to see that and send them money, thinking they have a chance to win this

Starting to see a pattern here……

IMG_2846.jpeg

Last edited:

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Hmmm- that sounds a little (a lot) high. My buddy won a Dall hunt from MT WSF last year and had to pay taxes on it, guess like winning the lotto????
Yeah that’s a bunch of BS seems like. Wondering if this is a Montana thing possibly? Never heard of any other raffle winner having to pay anything like this.

mt100gr.

WKR
Thank you! Complete horseshit. If the $15K in taxes weren’t enough, I live in FL and I guarantee you if I log on right now and buy tickets it will charge my credit card all day long. Wonder if they just throw my tickets in the trash? Genuinely curious if there is any kind of control, and where it is? Or do I win the hunt and they just post that to cover their asses? I’m sure there are plenty of other people living in these states who are not going to see that and send them money, thinking they have a chance to win this

Starting to see a pattern here……

View attachment 671136
Montana law prohibits "gambling" on credit. As a non-profit we have to jump thru a lot of hoops to even sell raffle tickets at our events and prove that they were cash sales. Folks will have a credit card on file in our system and we have to send them to a contracted ATM that we rent and provide at the venue so they can buy raffle tickets. It is bull shit. You can buy a bottomless beer cup on credit and drive home but the state won't let you gamble....

mt100gr.

WKR
The Dall hunts that we have given away the last few years were booked in a 3 or 4 year block with the same outfit. That price was likely negotiated in 2018 or 2019. I'd guess he paid 7-8k or so in taxes? This Desert hunt is a 60k hunt. A 25% estimate on the "winnings" is what it is.

Montana law prohibits "gambling" on credit. As a non-profit we have to jump thru a lot of hoops to even sell raffle tickets at our events and prove that they were cash sales. Folks will have a credit card on file in our system and we have to send them to a contracted ATM that we rent and provide at the venue so they can buy raffle tickets. It is bull shit. You can buy a bottomless beer cup on credit and drive home but the state won't let you gamble....
Can you comment on the sentence about states where online sales are prohibited? What happens when someone from one of those states purchases a ticket?

Reactions: CHL

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
The tax payment/withholding appears to be a Federal requirement applicable to noncash prizes having a value greater than $5,000.

25% of the value of a sheep hunt would be a hit, but would be a heck of a deal.
Yeah that’s 100% not the case (maybe in MT). I know 5 guys (including myself) that have won Sheep hunts the last 3 years and no one has had to pay taxes on anything. Two of these hunts were for Stone Sheep and valued at $75K. These were won at the Sheep Show, through Epic, and then the Hunt Expo. Additionally, of all the raffles that are out there, and wow there are ALOT, this is the very first one I’ve ever seen that reads as it does, and references … “taxes must be paid by the winner prior to receiving and booking this hunt.” Just seems a little odd to me, but sounds like MT has a few obstacles to deal with on raffles / gambling.

Could it be that some of these raffles cover the taxes for you as well? Strange that they all don’t advertise the tax. My wife wouldn’t be very happy if I “won” a hunt and it still cost me 15000 plus transportation ect.