2024 Plans & Gear Upgrades

tpicou

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know how that works. I can't see it being fast enough to use bird hunting. Seems more like a hound thing to me. Might work nice around the house to keep track of the dog and not have the huge antenna knocking into things though.
Yeah for sure. Also good as insurance during training where I usually just use the 550 with that normal e-collar. It's probably $300 wasted but at this point, with dogs and regular hunting, who is counting lmao

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Well i have twin 16 year old boys who are addicted to duck hunting. so apparently we "need' more decoys. beyond that I am pretty well set. After archery elk, we will hit ND twice for ducks and once for pheasants. In addition, a lot of MN pheasant hunting around home. we talked about grouse, but the boys didn't want to give up any duck hunting!

OP
dkell

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
Well i have twin 16 year old boys who are addicted to duck hunting. so apparently we "need' more decoys. beyond that I am pretty well set. After archery elk, we will hit ND twice for ducks and once for pheasants. In addition, a lot of MN pheasant hunting around home. we talked about grouse, but the boys didn't want to give up any duck hunting!

All I wanted to do when I was a kid was chase ducks and geese so I get it! Grouse is my main passion now but I still get out quite a bit for ducks each year. Luckily ducks in the morning and grouse after breakfast is usually on the table.

WKR
Planning on a few trips with the draht boys this fall. Just got in some new Russell boots and a pair of Irish Setter budget boots. Breaking those in and waiting for my Model 12 16 gauge barrel to get back from Briley. Hoping for an awesome fall.

jmez

WKR
No gear upgrades. Not a lot of "revolutionary" must have products come out in the bird hunting industry. Pretty well have everything I need. Living in SD I really don't have to plan any trips. I may venture over to MT this year.

Bcon

FNG
Iowa in November and South Dakota in January for pheasants. Will spend the rest of the fall in a duck blind in Missouri.
Hopefully you can get to an area in Iowa that avoided all of the flooding. Seeing birds, but no doubt we lost a bunch in some areas in the NW part of the state.

Wheels

WKR
Hopefully you can get to an area in Iowa that avoided all of the flooding. Seeing birds, but no doubt we lost a bunch in some areas in the NW part of the state.
Had a local in Spencer send me some pictures of the flooding, bad news!
Lots of areas that aren’t prone to flooding so hopefully the birds should have survived.

cmahoney

WKR
Looking forward to the youth season, my son will be 10 and he really figured out how to consistently hit clays this year. It will be our first year taking advantage of that week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acquire the other half of my tanglefree panelblind and sock it in. Probably spend a morning gathering native vegetation at some point.

Might add a few more dozen goose sillouttes. Other than that, ready to roll.

Bcon

FNG
Had a local in Spencer send me some pictures of the flooding, bad news!
Lots of areas that aren’t prone to flooding so hopefully the birds should have survived.
Yes, it will be rough that direction. I would say that there have been good signs though as I have seen quite a few young ones while on my way too/from Okoboji over the past few weeks. Lots of good ground in that area.

TSAMP

WKR
I've got a 10 day trip planned to northern Wisconsin. It's going to be "interesting" my wife will be 6 months pregnant so not sure how much hunting we are going to get done.
Make sure you are up to date on tick medication. My dog got RMSF last October in Northern WI. I see on the box bravecto is a 12 week treatment for lymes but only 8 weeks for RMSF.

WRO

WKR
Hopefully all my spots don’t burn..

ID/WA/OR Grouse, chukars and Huns, with some quail tossed in. Possibly a prairie parrot if one gets lost.

Numbers were fantastic at the end of the season.

I'm heading to North West Iowa in November, although I've heard they've been hit with some really heavy rains this year. It will be interesting to see what the pheasant brood reports are this year.

I'll be doing some more duck hunting this year. My plan is to head up further north out of the usual central valley in CA that I hunt. Longer drives, but better bird populations. I have a few points on OnX that I'd like to check out. Cross referencing with some other info, I think I can find some public land ducks in the early season in some unusual places.

I've added a GFC superlite as I got tired of pulling all my gear out of the truck to crash in the bed for the night. Going to add an awning for the truck as well for the mid afternoon sun.

Upsizing my sled this year to the mini magnum. Duck, goose, spinners and a blind - I ended up dumping my overloaded sled in the marsh after a hunt. All my gear froze up, not a great time.
where you at? i outta lemoore deploying soon and being as my season is going to be cut short im planning on hunting north east zone when it opens. if you want to meet up and plan a hunt up there id be game. gonna be wide open hunting dove, duck, deer, pig, and quail.

TSAMP

WKR
I picked up a new water tank for the dogs. Got tired of my ruffland waterhole always spilling in my my truck bed. This one is 3 gal and has a lid.

if any WKRs want a discount code I'll share it via PM

Attachments

• 20240726_182700.jpg
    20240726_182700.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 24
OP
dkell

dkell

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a new water tank for the dogs. Got tired of my ruffland waterhole always spilling in my my truck bed. This one is 3 gal and has a lid.

if any WKRs want a discount code I'll share it via PM

Any experience with HeyDay decoys?

I’ve been contemplating getting a bundle for some hard to get into areas.

UpTop

WKR
Continue to get my young dog on as many birds as possible. That's about it.

I'm torn this September because I mostly archery hunt, but I want to get him on more grouse and huns.
You’ll never regret getting a young dog more experience. Especially when it all starts to come together.