2024 Montana Spring Bear Road Conditions

deef56

FNG
Hey guys, headed to Western Montana in a week and a half for spring bear. Headed in the general direction of west and north of Missoula in Lolo. Does anyone have current updates on snow line and road accessibility in that area? Reading through a couple other forums here and elsewhere (not specifically about access), it sounds like a lot of those roads were accessible. The NWCC maps only have one sample point in the mountains in that giant area (Hoodoo Basin at 6050' elev. with 65" of pack) and from what I am seeing and reading, that specific data point is an outlier because it is on a North Slope and in a 'snowier area'; I also see Lookout Pass (5200' elev with only 11" of pack) just over the Idaho border on 90 but south facing, so there is a huge discrepancy between those (2) data points. I know the routine and we may not see snow for a while and then come across a huge bank on the roads, but looking for general information on elevations so we can work our plans back from there. Would rather have an educated guess to formulate a plan around than go with what I'm hoping to do and waste a day driving to in-accessible areas. Have Plans A, B, C, D, E, & F ready, but would rather start further down the list if possible.

Pre-emptive thanks to all the boots on the ground and early season guys for any relevant information. Good Luck All.

Plains/Thompson Falls RD- 826-3821
Superior RD- 822-4233

Call and they’d most likely be able to get you specific road condition info.

South and West facing slopes snow line around 6000 and climbing.

it is still may, don't expect to go anywhere you want. got denied getting to a spot to go packrafting saturday. no snow on the slopes, but 3 feet on the road.

Snow line is 4800 to 5100 feet on the Idaho side of Hoodoo Pass with south and aspects fairly bare to 5500’ I’m thinking similar on the superior side.

Last edited: