2024 Iowa Draw

PAE8824

FNG
Looks like there will be 447 other hunters in Zone 4 this archery season besides myself!

After striking out last year with 4 points, 5 points got it done.

Anyone else get lucky?

Scottyboy

WKR
Another point year for me. Will close my eyes and pick a zone next year and finally draw a tag after too many years of procrastinating.

BA-IV

FNG
This was another point year for me. I decided 4 years ago to accrue points and am really procrastinating, because I don’t even have a zone in mind to honestly hunt.

WCB

WKR
Another point year for myself and my dad. Farmer friend of my dads told him not to bother. He said deer are down in his area and found some big dead heads but no big sheds. Area had EHD last year not as bad as some areas NE of him but says it is noticeable when out shed hunting. Of course there will still be a giant or two around but...

This is Zone 4.

BA-IV

FNG
Another point year for myself and my dad. Farmer friend of my dads told him not to bother. He said deer are down in his area and found some big dead heads but no big sheds. Area had EHD last year not as bad as some areas NE of him but says it is noticeable when out shed hunting. Of course there will still be a giant or two around but...

This is Zone 4.
That’ll make you sick.

BA-IV

FNG
My problem is I’ve been gathering points just to gather them, and have no idea what zone I’m even wanting to hunt. At this point after next year I can draw a low odds zone most likely, but still have zero idea of where I even want to hunt. Iowa is a one and done thing for me, so I wanna go in a great zone where public is pounded, or just go through an outfitter, or try and pay a trespass fee?

WCB

WKR
That’ll make you sick.
I'm sure we will get pictures from him late this summer of a couple giants and probably should have just went. I was kind of relieved since I have 4 out of state/country hunts planned and some really good bucks around home that made it through last season.

I'm sure we will get pictures from him late this summer of a couple giants and probably should have just went. I was kind of relieved since I have 4 out of state/country hunts planned and some really good bucks around home that made it through last season.
Audubon, Guthrie, and Adair counties all had pretty massive EHD losses in '23. We've had decent moisture so far in '24, and with timely rains this summer hopefully we won't see another drought to exacerbate already decimated herds.

WCB

WKR
Audubon, Guthrie, and Adair counties all had pretty massive EHD losses in '23. We've had decent moisture so far in '24, and with timely rains this summer hopefully we won't see another drought to exacerbate already decimated herds.
The land my dad has hunted since the 80s is in Union and Ringgold. Place in Ringgold the deer on camera form the last 5 years before to last fall dropped easily in half if not more. Really consistent many of the same bucks year after year in in2018,29,20,21 and 22. Then last fall nothing even close to shooters and hardly any repeat customers. Just "no" deer in hunting terms on those pieces.

The land my dad has hunted since the 80s is in Union and Ringgold. Place in Ringgold the deer on camera form the last 5 years before to last fall dropped easily in half if not more. Really consistent many of the same bucks year after year in in2018,29,20,21 and 22. Then last fall nothing even close to shooters and hardly any repeat customers. Just "no" deer in hunting terms on those pieces.
Roger that and same story up here... LOOOOOTS of big dead heads found the last few years. From the highway bridge north of Coon Rapids to the Conservancy bridge roughly 5 miles south of town, there were 147 dead deer found in the Middle Raccoon River last fall. My wife and I walk the nature trail that runs along the river and it smelled like absolute death from August through December.