2024 Antelope meatpole

MT_Fin

WKR
Congrats to all. Bowhunting antelope looks like a great time, I need to give it a whirl.

lak2004

WKR
Got my first with a bow in CO this weekend.

Edit to add more story:
Failed a stalk first thing that morning, then called my wife to see what her and my boys were doing as I was planning on sitting a large herd and hoping for an opportunity. She asks, "Are you by your truck stalking the one just below your truck?" I said nope didn't see him when I parked but I saw one in that general area earlier from a distance.
So, I walked back over to the truck and met up with my family. They were all excited and telling me about a buck they saw and how it just stared at them but didn't spook. So we drove down the road looking and didn't find him. The youngest kid needed to go back to nap and eat lunch, so I turned around to head to camp. Drove a few hundred feet and looked uphill and voila. He was bedded at 90 yds from the road (blm road).
He didn't even give us a glance or care in the world, so I pulled up to some shrubs and got my bow out. Ranged some reference points and started work towards him crouched but with shrubs to conceal me. Got to the last shrub patch and ranged him at 60, which was as far as i was comfortable since i had not been shooting much.

Stood up and drew back. He stood quartering to me. I maybe should have waited for a better broadside shot, but i was worried he would spook (i had the ultimate predator doe decoy on my bow). So i took the shot and immediately saw blood. He did 2 wide circles in front of me at full speed, then ran downhill towards a riparian area with a creek. I watched to see if he would come out of that and go towards the highway, but he didn't. I figured he was hurt bad and went to bed by water. My wife and kids watched it all go down from the truck, which is how i got the photo of me at full draw. Went to find him and bumped him a couple of times before i got another arrow in him. He was moving slow each time, thankfully. It's pretty cool how it worked out and gave me a glimmer of hope for future bow hunts.

c13fcdea3ed37c8a56310b46c6bf0397.jpg

87b92a98dbec26fa73b2f7b4e2794f22.jpg
9e1f672e5acb7aee0d3dd78edf748974.jpg

Last edited:

waspocrew

WKR
Great photos so far! I have a Wyoming buck and doe tag this year. Doe rifle season starts 9/1, so this thread is getting me pumped.

Eastern Wyoming! New to this piece of land, very happy when this guy fed into range. There were several potholes for them to water at, so they kept picking anything that was 80+ yards from my blind. My fifth archery buck in four years. Definitely the physically easiest pronghorn hunt so far, first time using a blind.

Attachments

• 20240815212841_IMG_1445.JPG
    20240815212841_IMG_1445.JPG
    327 KB · Views: 87