2024 Alaska moose hunting in remote solitude...father/son.

Midway through our hunt my son spotted a couple bulls further out laying down mid-afternoon. The wx was good, wind was right, and one bull looked pretty mature so we kept an eye on them. Later in the afternoon, they got up and started to browse a bit, so I cow-called. The bigger guy immediately turned our way, located where we were, and quickly walked directly towards us, doing the “head swagger” and grunting and drooling with every step.

The wind was just right to turn him towards our meat pole. When he was about thirty yards from the pole I got him to stop. My son had a direct broadside shot and double-lunged him perfectly. He didn’t drop in place, but ran about a hundred yards and died in a spruce thicket. We got him all butchered-up, bagged and hauled back to camp a little past mid-nite.

View attachment 773144
It was an older bull on the decline and missing some teeth…and the remaining teeth were pretty beat-up. His rack had a lot of character. The top of the palms were thinner and had been extensively rubbed-down and chipped from raking and head-banging the past month. The points on the sides of the palms were not very extended. However, the beams were large diameter and brow-tines were well palmated on both sides…a 5x4, 52”. (My son gave me permission to post his picture).

Our method for hauling meat loads for the past four years…

View attachment 773145

Love it! Don’t see many custom A-Bolts.

>>>——JAKE——>

Doc that's all awesome. That sled is nice over the tundrascape, huh?
Your sled is totally awesome! I was going to say, "Thank you LB" under that picture when I posted it!

It is very well designed and keeps it's shape well when pulling loads...great work LB...thank you for bringing that to the market for the rest of us to experience and appreciate.

Edit: And your TAG bags are my go-to's for the past decade...they are hanging in those photos...thank you for those as well LOL!!

Last edited:
It's ideal over gravel and rocks, wet or dry, although i much prefer to sled march on wet days. Scenarios with moist to a few inches of water is my favs because it offers some flotation in motion. That sled is useful for many things drag related.

Thanks for taking us along. Sounds like once again a successful hunt in all aspects. Always enjoy your story!!

Back