2024 Alaska moose hunting in remote solitude...father/son.

AKDoc

WKR
We landed in the hub village just before noon on 9/13. Our take-out/fly-back was planned for 9/23. Our transporter’s staff met us on arrival, then a short drive to the hangar where we quickly sorted through our gear that we had shipped in advance. We then both loaded-up and we were flying again by 2:30 to the exact same remote location as last year, just as requested…perfect!

We saw numerous nearby bulls when circling to land on our put-in flight…some were big guys.

IMG_9431.jpeg

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
After a tundra landing we unloaded our gear and got camp set. Then got our meat pole constructed using the willow poles that we had cut and assembled/disassembled last year. We also cut a few more poles so that we could hang two bulls at the same time if necessary (and it was). Also got a tarp staked out to catch rain water.

Got it all done in time to do some glassing, enjoy a welcome-back sunset, and then the typical after dark late dinner when hunting…Mountain House or Peak Refuel.
IMG_9432.jpeg
IMG_9444.jpeg
IMG_9481.jpeg

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
We were thankful to be in the field on the first day because the next morning Mother Nature reminded us that she’s the boss, especially in Alaska. We got hit with one storm right after the other for the first three days/nites, which would have kept us grounded in the hub village, and that is not a vacation hot-spot LOL! Wx challenges are often part of hunting in Alaska…it’s just the way it is and we go with the flow when it happens.

We collected more than enough rain water on the first day for our entire time in the field, which is a bonus because filtering any standing watering in that area clogs filters quickly…I had three with me just in case.

We also saw a lot of moose movement during those storms which was different than what I’ve observed in the past. Typically, they’re laying down during the storms and then popping out as soon as it breaks. Just when you think you understand moose behavior, they show you that you don’t LOL…I’m always humbled and learning, even after nearly forty-years hunting them.

We chose not to take a bull during the forecasted very brief storm intervals. I really try to avoid getting the meat soaked in the rain while we’re butchering, bagging and transporting…meat care is #1 priority.

IMG_9435.jpeg

IMG_0848 2.jpeg

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
When the wx cleared, we had a harvest full-moon, so on the clearer post-storm days we could hear the moose partying all night and then they were sleeping it off the next day. Additionally, we had a few much colder nights that produced fog at last light, which thickened through the night and into the next morning. In the middle of one calm night, my son and I both heard a bull scraping and grunting so loudly that it sounded right next to our tents, and we both swore the next morning that we heard hoof-steps on the tundra.

IMG_9463.jpeg

IMG_9488.jpeg

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
That said, we saw and enjoyed calling-in countless bulls during our 10-day hunt, primarily satellite bulls.

The rut had progressed during the initial storms such that the bigger bulls were further out with cows and holding in cover from the wind…and those bulls were secretive, only raking and grunting to our calls. We primarily knew they were there because the cows would bust them. Occasionally and very briefly the bull would stick it’s head out of the brush or wait until almost complete darkness to come out…never really giving us a sustained look. Then they’d all move as a group to a different holding area nearly every nite, almost an extended circle around us. Couldn’t get any quick photos of those big elusive guys.

As hunters, we are all a bit different in our preferences and goals, which I respect. I primarily seek the remote experience. It’s always a total reset of my perspective in life and values that I prioritize…and bringing home meat for family and to share with others. I prefer to call bulls to camp and take close shots. No doubt a preference driven by my age (72) and the many 10+ total mile humps over the tundra that I’ve done all day with heavy moose loads on my back.

I do truly enjoy watching bulls come to the calls. Here are some that did, there were more…

IMG_0855 2.jpegIMG_0842.jpegIMG_9495.jpegIMG_0881.jpegIMG_0892.jpegIMG_0850.jpegIMG_9456.jpeg

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
Midway through our hunt my son spotted a couple bulls further out laying down mid-afternoon. The wx was good, wind was right, and one bull looked pretty mature so we kept an eye on them. Later in the afternoon, they got up and started to browse a bit, so I cow-called. The bigger guy immediately turned our way, located where we were, and quickly walked directly towards us, doing the “head swagger” and grunting and drooling with every step.

The wind was just right to turn him towards our meat pole. When he was about thirty yards from the pole I got him to stop. My son had a direct broadside shot and double-lunged him perfectly. He didn’t drop in place, but ran about a hundred yards and died in a spruce thicket. We got him all butchered-up, bagged and hauled back to camp a little past mid-nite.

IMG_0909.jpeg
It was an older bull on the decline and missing some teeth…and the remaining teeth were pretty beat-up. His rack had a lot of character. The top of the palms were thinner and had been extensively rubbed-down and chipped from raking and head-banging the past month. The points on the sides of the palms were not very extended. However, the beams were large diameter and brow-tines were well palmated on both sides…a 5x4, 52”. (My son gave me permission to post his picture).

Our method for hauling meat loads for the past four years…

IMG_0902.jpeg

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
We continued glassing and observing moose behavior during the following days and my son practiced his calling skills. I decided to tag a meat bull a couple days before take-out. It’s an “any bull” GMU. We could have both tagged-out for bulls in the first two days, but that was not our goal. We now had two bulls hanging on our tented meat pole, dry and well chilled in the cool breeze and cold nite temps.

IMG_0931.jpeg IMG_0933.jpegIMG_0934.jpeg

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
There were numerous rodents in the tundra in our camp area. We enjoyed watching a pair of owls at last light each nite quickly flying around us and swooping as they hunted at last light…no photos of those quick flying guys in the dark.

We also watched this other guy early one morning chasing rodents all around our camp…and then he snuck back and watched my son taking his morning dump LOL!!

IMG_9502.jpeg

IMG_9501.jpeg

OP
AKDoc

AKDoc

WKR
After sunset on the last night, the temps significantly dropped and Mother Nature put together a perfect ending for our hunt.

IMG_9468 2.jpeg

We never saw another human being for our entire hunt except our pilots, who picked up our meat on take-out day.

As always, I have gratitude for each hunting experience in my life, especially with my children who are now both wonderful adults. My son and I had a great time together, observing and learning in the remote world of the animal we were hunting. He took some of the photos that I shared, and he is always wanting to be helpful on our hunts…thank you, son.

I am always and will always be grateful to Wade Renfro and his hard working crew of guys in the hangar and pilots…thank you guys!!! We are already booked for next year!

The very best to all ‘sliders for your future hunting adventures!

Right on, congratulations and thanks for sharing your story and photos! It looks like you’ll have another full freezer year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk