2023 Utah Book Cliffs/Bitter Creek Late Elk

JK88

FNG
Anyone have any advice on hunting this area? Sounds like Late season is quite different then any early hunts

Irish Miner

Lil-Rokslider
Love the unit. Big, remote, excellent country. Have hunted it a long time. Elk herd is suffering a bit the last few years, but doesn't mean they aren't there.

CorbLand

WKR
Late season generally consists of lots of glassing into the deepest, darkest, why the hell would you go there kind of places.

OP
J

JK88

FNG
If that’s what it takes to get a decent bull im for it. Last year I hunted elk for the first time and that was only a few days. So this was a surprise to get a hunt like this! I have chased a lot of deer tho so I’m not completely green but close!

CorbLand

WKR
If that’s what it takes to get a decent bull im for it. Last year I hunted elk for the first time and that was only a few days. So this was a surprise to get a hunt like this! I have chased a lot of deer tho so I’m not completely green but close!
Expo tag?

I've never hunted the late rifle elk season in there, but spent years chasing lions and shed hunting on the winter range of those bulls. All of the places I'd like to go hunt that unit and season, I debate whether I can get an elk out of. The terrain is uniquely difficult.
If you don't know the unit, better start scouting next weekend. Meaning boots on the ground scouting, not on your computer and certainly not internet research. Right now, the bulls are very near where they'll be in November. Between now and April is your chance to figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
J

JK88

FNG
I've never hunted the late rifle elk season in there, but spent years chasing lions and shed hunting on the winter range of those bulls. All of the places I'd like to go hunt that unit and season, I debate whether I can get an elk out of. The terrain is uniquely difficult.
If you don't know the unit, better start scouting next weekend. Meaning boots on the ground scouting, not on your computer and certainly not internet research. Right now, the bulls are very near where they'll be in November. Between now and April is your chance to figure it out.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Thanks I will try make it happen. Closer to April should work out. Or go when everyone’s shed hunting and mark pickup truck locations?? You be in roughly the right area? Ya internet research only gave the area a really negative vibe… will I be the only one in there hunting or is there other tags?

Man I’m jealous! I don’t have any good info to share on the unit specifically. Like others have said, I would find good vantage points on google earth beforehand (ideally 1-2 per day) and use your glass a ton. Mature bulls will likely be bachelored up. Should be an incredible hunt. Good luck. Make sure you post pics of the hunt and your scouting

OP
J

JK88

FNG
Man I’m jealous! I don’t have any good info to share on the unit specifically. Like others have said, I would find good vantage points on google earth beforehand (ideally 1-2 per day) and use your glass a ton. Mature bulls will likely be bachelored up. Should be an incredible hunt. Good luck. Make sure you post pics of the hunt and your scouting
I will try get some useful pics on here for the next guy In my spot! I will most likely head there in April.. how’s the coyotes and prairie dogs in April in utah?

OP
J

JK88

FNG
I will try get some useful pics on here for the next guy In my spot! I will most likely head there in April.. how’s the coyotes and prairie dogs in April in utah?
Gophers not prairie dogs…..

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
You better give them a call as in years past its been closed to hunting on public
ec83250f94c0e8cea8e9d1fa8c6544f4.jpg

Utah subspecies is still on the endangered list so make sure which ones your shooting if the season is open.

OP
J

JK88

FNG
You better give them a call as in years past its been closed to hunting on public
ec83250f94c0e8cea8e9d1fa8c6544f4.jpg

Utah subspecies is still on the endangered list so make sure which ones your shooting if the season is open.
Good info! Ya I do read up or call and see what’s ok. Can’t take any risks now that I buy diapers and have two car seats!