2023 Colorado Secondary Draw Results

Seth

WKR
One kid drew, the other didn’t. At least the more excited of the two drew, so we’ll be going for his first deer!

Jmoore

FNG
1 son pulled a muzzy goat tag, me and the other son struck out. Good luck to those that got lucky.

Ucsdryder

WKR
My 11 year old daughter struck out on a cow tag that should have been guaranteed in previous years. Pretty sad deal.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I'm all for kids getting tags, but this secondary draw is a crock of shit. Money grab for DOW.

Should have a quota for youth hunters, just like NR's. Probably an unpopular opinion, but it is what it is.
I agree with you. It’s pretty insane to me that a NR kid has complete preference over a resident adult. I understand resident youth preference but if a kid is going to be traveling from out of state for a hunt, I’m gonna assume he/he is already into hunting and doesn’t need additional recruiting

I understand applying for tags with low odds. But, when most of the tags that grown ups apply for in the secondary draw have literally 0% draw odds, go by yourself a milkshake instead. Or burn your $8 to keep yourself warm.
For the record, I dislike the youth preference in the secondary. The kids already get extended opportunities without it.

On the other hand, I came out of it with a cow tag and a couple of $8 donations. Seems ok to me.

Before the CPW changed the game and you had to actually apply in the first round to be eligible for the second, there were numerous tags to be had. Removing the requirements to front the tag fees was another way they screwed everyone with the odds.

I don't like the current system in general but will play the game within the framework I am provided.

Ucsdryder

WKR
For the record, I dislike the youth preference in the secondary. The kids already get extended opportunities without it.

On the other hand, I came out of it with a cow tag and a couple of $8 donations. Seems ok to me.

Before the CPW changed the game and you had to actually apply in the first round to be eligible for the second, there were numerous tags to be had. Removing the requirements to front the tag fees was another way they screwed everyone with the odds.

I don't like the current system in general but will play the game within the framework I am provided.
Colorado doesn’t do crap for youth. No special seasons, no special tags, etc. They can extend a cow tag to another season, big deal. I’m happy they get preference in the 2nd draw. I don’t think non-resident youth should get preferential treatment over residents and nonresident adults should get the same odds as residents though.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Colorado doesn’t do crap for youth. No special seasons, no special tags, etc. They can extend a cow tag to another season, big deal.
Most of the cow and doe tags have a 15% allotment just for youth hunters in the first draw. And if they do draw an either sex tag and don't fill that tag during that season, they can turn it in for a cow tag after their season is over and still hunt the rest of the year in that allowed area during an active cow season. Add in 100% priority in the secondary draw, and I'd say CO does plenty for youth hunters. Some of these tags in the secondary draw were 7+ point NR tags. It's a gift to just give them all to the youth. If I was a NR parent, I'd be salivating over all of the tags available to my kids.......all for just $100 ea. My daughter doesn't even need to do the secondary draw because she always gets one of the allotted tags through the first draw.

Last edited:

Ddubs20

FNG
I stopped donating $8 this year. You have better odds playing the powerball. What really annoys me is paying $8 to not draw the first draw, then seeing a few tags on the secondary draw lists that I put in for already. If people turn tags in or don't pay for them they go on the secondary draw list, then leftovers. It also seems like CPW enhances the lists with some desirable tags just to collect thousands of $8 app fees.
I'll be burning my points over the next few years, and then just hunting OTC / leftovers from here on out to avoid being pushed into poverty $8 at a time.

I love that it's 100% youth preference for the secondary draw! Residents or non residents, I don't care. Get the kids hunting. Adults have plenty of other opportunities to get tags. I was more excited when my neighbors kid drew his elk tag in the secondary draw, than I was for my own tags in the primary!

I’m all about the youth too - but CPW should just have a youth draw then to keep it simple. Common sense.

When I grew up in Pennsy we all went to the class for hunters ed which was about 10 years of age.

Now I see pictures in the local Pennsy paper with 3 and 4 year old kids that “shot a deer” which I personally would not (and didn’t) put a kid behind a big game gun at that age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado doesn’t do crap for youth. No special seasons, no special tags, etc. They can extend a cow tag to another season, big deal. I’m happy they get preference in the 2nd draw. I don’t think non-resident youth should get preferential treatment over residents and nonresident adults should get the same odds as residents though.
Yea, if you ignore reduced license fees and preference from the regular pool in the first draw. Then, all they get is the ability to buy an either sex tag, not fill it and continue to hunt antlerless (potentially in more units) until the tag is filled. Sounds rough.

They're obviously more limited by their parents' willingness or ability to keep taking them. The opportunity is not lacking.

JAM7

FNG
I drew a second rifle season tag and will be hunting Colorado for the first time this fall. I didn’t originally plan to, but found out a few weeks ago that I would be traveling to Colorado a lot for work in September (I.e. free weekend scouting trips), and since my other fall plans didn’t pan out, the Colorado second draw became the best plan B option.

I did my research and knew I had no shot with most of the available tags going to youth applicants, and instead prioritized units that made it to the adult draw in prior years.

The unit I drew is by no means highly sought after, but it at least provides an opportunity. Come October I’ll be driving out from Wisconsin, and if nothing else will see some new country. If any CO locals are willing to chat with a first timer in the state, feel free to drop me a PM.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yea, if you ignore reduced license fees and preference from the regular pool in the first draw. Then, all they get is the ability to buy an either sex tag, not fill it and continue to hunt antlerless (potentially in more units) until the tag is filled. Sounds rough.

They're obviously more limited by their parents' willingness or ability to keep taking them. The opportunity is not lacking.
I guess I don’t see a ton of value in the extended seasons. Not a lot of youth…or parents…have the stamina and willingness to go season after season to shoot a doe.

A long time ago I took advantage of some youth opportunities in another state. Still some of my best memories and best hunts.

Reduced tag fees? A full price tag is 61 for an elk. Getting an elk tag for 40 or whatever it is isn’t a big sales point. I’d rather pay 200++++ and have youth pay 150 to get better resident opportunities.

The preference in the regular pool is limited from what I’ve seen. Mostly doe and cow tags, I believe that doesn’t extend to bucks and bulls.