2023 Caribou hunt with Arctic Air

Spaulazzo

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from Kotzebue AK hunting caribou using Arctic Air as our transporter.

Cliff notes
10/10 experience
3 for 3 on caribou tags
Highly recommend. New owners are awesome.

With all the closures, negative reviews and new owners, our group was quite nervous on what to expect this year. We did not want to bail on a hunt that we booked back in 2021, we highly considered canceling and ultimately decided to go.

Upon showing up in Kotzebue we were able to get from airport to hotel seamlessly. We made contact with Gary to meet later that day for an orientation. We then repacked our bags preparing for bush fight. We had meeting and made a plan on when we were going to get picked up to go to hanger.

Next day we got picked up. All our gear weighed. Got in planes and were dropped in the field. As we were flying into our spot we saw about 20 caribou. Landed and dropped us off. Immediately we were seeing caribou everywhere.

We set up camp and had to wait til 0300 the following day. We headed out around 0200 to start hiking. Upon 0900 we had found a nice group. Planned a stalk. By 1000 my buddy and I doubled up on caribou. We took photos, cut up and packed all meat. Got back to camp around 1700. We had one more for caribou tag to fill. That was my brother who was hunting with a recurve.

My brother was about to get it done with a 22 yard stick bow shot a few days later.

Pilot was able to come in and pick up our meat for us. The following day he picked my brother and then 2 days later he picked my buddy and I up.

During the hunt we say 1000s of caribou. They would walk by our camp everyday. Saw a few grizzly’s, one wolf (season didn’t open til 8/10), fox and a dall sheep. This is one of the best hunts I have ever been on.

Arctic air was very helpful in every way. The had fish boxes for our meat. And bigger boxes to put your antlers in (had to modify box). Arctic air also picked us up from hotel to bring us back to airport on day we left.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

High recommend flying with these guys. We will be back again if there are no more unit closures.

OP
Spaulazzo

Spaulazzo

Lil-Rokslider
We would also not recommend tipi’s in the brooks range. There was nothing for us to burn and it was basically a big sail. 2 days before we flew out, we’re guessing a gust of 60mph give or take, snapped our tipi pole. We used tape, paracord, trekking poles and a strap to fix pole. Low profile backpacking tents would have been perfect. IMG_5709.jpegIMG_5713.jpeg

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Glad your hunt was a success with no problems. Did you find it easy to get within 60yards of the groups?

OP
Spaulazzo

Spaulazzo

Lil-Rokslider
Glad your hunt was a success with no problems. Did you find it easy to get within 60yards of the groups?
Yes. If I knew there would have been that many caribou I would have brought my bow. My brother had 5 shot opportunities within 40 yards

OP
Spaulazzo

Spaulazzo

Lil-Rokslider
Everything got weighed including us. No planes went out over 700lbs . My buddy and I are both 230-235lbs with all our gear and own camp we flew out at 655lbs.

AKBorn

WKR
CONGRATS on a dream trip! I have been caribou hunting many years, and can tell you that it has been rare to see that type of numbers for quite a while - glad you guys got in the middle of it!

I don't see a million mosquitoes in the pics you have shared, how were the bugs?

OP
Spaulazzo

Spaulazzo

Lil-Rokslider
Everything got weighed including us. No planes went out over 700lbs. My buddy and I are both 230-235lbs with all our gear and own camp we flew out at 655lbs.
CONGRATS on a dream trip! I have been caribou hunting many years, and can tell you that it has been rare to see that type of numbers for quite a while - glad you guys got in the middle of it!

I don't see a million mosquitoes in the pics you have shared, how were the bugs?
bugs were bad when wind died down. For the most of the trip bugs were not an issue.

When the bugs were out it really was not that bad because we got a break from the wind. Nothing 100% Deet couldn’t handle.

Awesome hunt! We unfortunately booked with golden eagle who is refusing to take hunters along with refunding money. Why are these other places finding success and golden eagle refusing to drop hunters for caribou??

OP
Spaulazzo

Spaulazzo

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome hunt! We unfortunately booked with golden eagle who is refusing to take hunters along with refunding money. Why are these other places finding success and golden eagle refusing to drop hunters for caribou??
I can’t speak to golden eagle. Hit up Arctic Air to see if they have had any last minute cancellations.

Gary is a great guy and a good friend of mine; I am not surprised that everything went well. He's as meticulous as they come when hunting is involved, and I am certain he is treating these hunts as if they were his own. Glad you guys had a great trip!