2023 Bird and Dog pics

These 2 pics from the weekend sum up my boys to a T.

Boone is the Britt, he heard a rooster cackle right before the pic and is ready for more, despite turning in 86 miles in 2.5 days of hunting.

Cooper, the golden, is ready for a 3 day nap and struggling to hold it together 🤣

Team Thunder 'n Lightning!
View attachment 654141View attachment 654142
My first golden's name was Copper. My second golden was an outstanding bird dog and buddy, and his name was Calvin. Absolutely love those dogs and would have another, but needed a long break from the shedding in the house. Congrats man!

Rchery

FNG
Until this day he has been upland only. Dropped the duck in the water n sent him out, went chest deep n turned around to look in the brush. Threw stick towards the bird n sent him again. Saw the bird n pushed it for 10 ft. before turning around n bringing back stick! 3rd time brought bird back n set it in my hand.Good boy!

Attachments

• 20240106_145140.jpg
    20240106_145140.jpg
    777.7 KB · Views: 31

ianpadron

WKR
View attachment 653602

Still getting after it. Pipers favorite time of year. Snows getting deeper, giving her the chance to root em out of the cattails.

Question. Hate wing shooting with gloves on. But temps in the teens with a stiff breeze a guy needs something.

Tried a pair of sitka mountain gloves, and they were just ok for the situation.

Used to use a thin pair of kangaro skin leather gloves that were a dream. Can't seem to find anything similar lately. Any suggestions.
I really like the REI leather work gloves, fleece lined, super low profile. I wear them on 90% of late season bird hunts.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Possibly my labs last hunt. He turns 10 in a couple of months and has really slowed down this year. Hoping for one more season! He has been so good...
View attachment 655544
That's tough when a dog hits the end of their run. I used to have a "white" yellow lab and a teen, and I've always been a sucker for them ever since. It does look like that fella ain't missing any meals. You might be able to get a bit more zip out of him for another year or so if he can lean out a little. Even just 5lbs makes a big difference on a dog's joints.

She's a pudelpointer. Normally she doesn't ball up with snow like that, but standing on point that long gave her body heat time to melt and have snow refreeze on her. My buddies with griffs this time of year usually have to cut their hunts short from the snow accumulation in their coats.
You may want to suggest they try and find some "Cowboy Magic" at local farm and home store. It's made for horses, but works great on dogs to reduce bur and snow sticking to their fur. My Griff is tight coated other than his head and neck, but I've seen some that are super shaggy. I could see them really getting balled up.

Laramie

WKR
That's tough when a dog hits the end of their run. I used to have a "white" yellow lab and a teen, and I've always been a sucker for them ever since. It does look like that fella ain't missing any meals. You might be able to get a bit more zip out of him for another year or so if he can lean out a little. Even just 5lbs makes a big difference on a dog's joints.
He is constantly spoiled by the wife and rest of the extended family- makes it tough. But I do agree, he has been on a weight loss plan basically his whole life. For whatever reason the english line he comes from is a bit stubby and holds weight. His mom and dad and the siblings I have seen are all basically the same. Fantastic nose and brain but a bit tubby.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
You may want to suggest they try and find some "Cowboy Magic" at local farm and home store. It's made for horses, but works great on dogs to reduce bur and snow sticking to their fur. My Griff is tight coated other than his head and neck, but I've seen some that are super shaggy. I could see them really getting balled up.
I've heard cowboy magic is pretty good for that. I know a number of folks that use Pam cooking spray pretty effectively too. She normally doesn't have that issue--but she also normally doesn't hunt more than 125-150 yards from me, so she normally doesn't have to stand on point that long in deep snow! Even still, it all knocked loose pretty quick once she was moving again. I was just whupped and needed to be done. I'd already done 3 miles on my skis, and had a mile to go back to the sled.
He is constantly spoiled by the wife and rest of the extended family- makes it tough. But I do agree, he has been on a weight loss plan basically his whole life. For whatever reason the english line he comes from is a bit stubby and holds weight. His mom and dad and the siblings I have seen are all basically the same. Fantastic nose and brain but a bit tubby.
That makes it tough. Good luck, and here's to hoping you can still get a few more hints with him.

OP
Cant hit em
2 snows today is all

9cfe5aacac4a0147ea659dff766dc27a.jpg

52f3cf9b81130d7322831181b7e307be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro