2022 Updated Kuiu Mountain Star 2P Tent

j33

WKR
For those looking for an official weight savings of this new model vs the previous it’s right at 3oz for carbon vs Carbon pole version. I reached out to Kuiu for this number.

Thank you for the review. Im going to place an order for one, but I can’t decide on carbon or aluminum poles. I’m leaning toward carbon. other than being lighter, what are the pros v cons

Looks like some very good minor design improvements. I've been very happy with my Mountain Star 2P hunting and hiking the past three years, and see a place for these updates.

Weight-wise, looks like the new tent is very close to the same weight as the old tent. Understanding the review in this thread was an almost-finished model, KUIU lists the new weight as 3 pounds 8.5 ounces for tent, poles, stakes, and the bag for each. My 2019 Mountain Star 2P on my scale is 3 pounds, 8.9 ounces for tent, poles, stakes, and bag for each (so like-for-like setup weights). I added the (separate purchase) KUIU ground cloth which weighs on my scale at 5.3oz (but which KUIU lists at 5.7oz), giving me a total of 3 pounds 13.8oz for the older model, compared against KUIU's list weight of the new model plus ground cloth (again like-for-like weights) at 3 pounds 14.2oz.

Last edited:

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I couldn't resist upgrading to the new model and am excited to try it out. I have only set it up in the yard so far to make sure everything was there and good to go.

I did think it was actually slower to setup and take down having to feed the poles through the sleeves.

Wilderness Spirit

Lil-Rokslider
Received my Mountain Star.a few weeks ago. Did an overnight in it two weeks ago. I don’t have any experience with the previous model but the new one worked fine.
Set up was easy and fairly quick even for the first time I pitched it at camp. Plenty of room for me and my 65lb. English Setter . Not sure if I would use it with another adult unless it was my wife.
The vestibules are a good size and I stored my Kifaru 44mag inside easily. We did have some rain and snow in the morning and stayed completely dry.
Overall I am satisfied with this tent and look forward to using it through out the spring and summer into fall. It is lightweight and packs easily into the side pocket of the 44mag .

Ten Bears

WKR
Just had mine set up side by side with my Hilleberg Anjan 3. Decided to keep the Anjan after having both next to each other. The Anjan 3 was only 9.4 ounces more on my scale and the space needed for set up was similar but way larger inside. Also thought the Anjan set up easier even though it is not a freestanding tent. With that said the Kuiu was a really nice design, came in at 3lbs 6.3 ounces on my scale.