2022 Turkey Season

mcfd45

FNG
So I wanted to share my experience with you. It’s been a fun couple of weekends chasing birds
I’m hunting public land in an area I am very familiar with. I used to do 911 as a medic here. I would drive by this area multiple times a day and see turkeys. I had forgotten about it and always remembered after turkey season.
My work buddy Jim decided he wanted to go and I remembered the birds I had seen for years. I offered to take him (this is his first hunt ever)

This will be second season for the area we are in.

Saturday last week we scouted. Saw “Whitey” and agreed that if she had a beard, fisticuffs would have happened. 😂😂. We both saw birds, none gave us a close shot.
Sunday I took a shot and missed. Bird got away clean with no issue. I fixed the cause of it (removed the scope rail on my gun that blocked the view of the bead. )
We noticed an interesting behavior. We are hunting a gas pipeline (30 yard strip of grass with hedgerows and thickets on each side) and noticed the birds were decoy shy.
A bird would poke out his or her head and take a few steps. They would see the decoys and stop walking. We would see them recoil back (snap their heads back as if to say “oh crap”) and turn and walk away. A few minutes later you would see that bird pop out 20-40 yards down the pipeline and quickly walk across.
So we decided to fart around with it. I put my decoys 60 yards down in each direction. Sure enough the birds showed up with no issue.
DNR stopped by and chuckled at the concept of a far away decoy. Showed them pics of “whitey” he was thrilled.

Went out yesterday and I F’d up. Saw a jake about 30 yards away. He ducked down into a low spot and I didn’t have a shot. I grabbed my box call and let out a light Yelp, hoping to turn him around. I set my box call down and look ahead and see two toms staring straight at me. The gig was up, they saw me move and they knew something was up. They turned tail and ran.
Today is Mother’s Day. Might call in Friday to go hunting. We will see how Wednesday looks.

Lotta ticks out this year. Flicked 4 off me. One came home and embedded in my leg. He was removed within an hour of getting out of the woods, I ain’t worried about him.

Like the bird but gotta warn you...posting pics in old school camo with holes in it is gonna get you banned from the Slide...better hit the classifieds if you want to keep your account active.
Watch it buddy. I'll break out the Vietnam surplus woodland camo or the Jim Crumley original "Treebark" camo (Godfather of modern camo (showing my age)). My sons laugh everytime I put the ragged coveralls on. Gotta squeeze into those babies every spring the more fat and sassy I get , but they sure are lucky. Lol. Good hunting

hunt1up

WKR
Last day of IL season and my daughter was able to get her first this morning. I’m glad it happened quick because it is hot and gross out in nature today! It was the perfect turkey season with both kids getting their first turkey. I didn’t get myself a bird but I couldn’t care less.

7c5bbcd882530329a23beb729503d62d.jpg

Congrats to everyone on their success!

My season has been off to a great start. Was lucky enough to shoot a Merriam's on a Reservation in AZ and an Eastern in GA this year. Headed out this weekend to try and knock one down with my bow.

Attachments

• SCR Merriam 2022.jpg
    SCR Merriam 2022.jpg
    853.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Georgia1.jpg
    Georgia1.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Georgia2.jpg
    Georgia2.jpg
    341.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Georgia3.jpg
    Georgia3.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 27
  • Georgia4.jpg
    Georgia4.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 32

mcfd45

FNG
We are having unseasonably warm weather. 80s in may. Any advice where to look for the birds? They normally stay on a pipeline with brush on each side. I saw a few dusting up in a field. Wonder how often they will return to that spot to dust up?
I am thinking that they will head to a section with pines in it. Kinda cooler and shady.

dtrkyman

WKR
Definitely find some shade, if no leaves on on yet look for a pine stand, it is a magnet in the midwest when it gets hot before green up!

I had no expectations at all for this morning. Best I hoped for was to hear a gobble way in the distance. Got sat down around 5:20. Two Tom's gobbled off at 5:30 about 6-8 times total, with in 75 yards from me. Called just a little bit. Saw both fly down, one went right the other went left. Both landed less than 50 yards from my setup. This dude just about landed in my lap. Blew his head off at 5:50.

First bird ever!

29442381d0beec627a22fbf71d1e96e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got my first on Saturday. Four feet of snow in mid April took a big chunk out of the season, but things worked out in the end.

View attachment 411751
Congrats, beautiful picture and turkey . I assume your in western ND ? My son hunted eastern ND and same issue with snow and flooding wiping out a lot of the season. He said they were very active the last weekend, but kinda windy. Congrats again. Great job

Sherman

WKR
Set up a ground blind and had my 15, 13, & 10 year old sons cramped in there with me. All of them came up empty last year and a turkey taken would be a first for any of them. I knew where they were roosting and the direction the headed out of the roost, so that’s where we set up before sunrise about 300 yards away. Two hen decoys about 20 yards away between some small trees. Turkeys start coming out of the roost, poke around for a bit, then start heading East straight to our setup. No calling needed. Then hens walked straight up to the decoys and started rubbing necks with them. A Tom and a drake pass by about 55 yards away without even looking in our direction. I let out a few soft purrs and a cluck. That got the small drakes attention and he scrambled over right between the decoys. My 13 year old already had his 20g poking out and settled on him. Didn’t have to say a word, he dropped the drake instantly. Proud dad moment. Glad all of the boys were in the blind to see it. Have a few more tags to fill before seasons end, so hopefully I will be posting another story of one of the kids first take. BBA7052A-1FD3-44B1-A852-E8475458FF5B.jpeg

jdyansick

FNG
First bird that decided to play this year. Got him at 630 this morning. Came in with two hens to just light calling with no decoys. Dropped him in his tracks. 9 7/8 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs and 20.25lbs. Hens were only about 10 feet from me when I shot and I split them to shoot him.
602e871cebd78b53fe85b91360348b6d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

j_volt

WKR
I shot 6 birds this year, and was with my dad for all of the 5 he killed this spring. My dad had both knees replaced two years ago, he has a hip replacement scheduled for June, and he cannot hear turkeys due to hearing loss. He always kept up with me, and made this spring so much fun. We each shot our first Merriam's in April which was a stellar trip. Great times!

Turkey 1.jpgTurkey 7.jpgTurkey 2.jpgTurkey 3.jpgTurkey 4.jpgTurkey 6.jpg