2019 First Lite

If the brooks using the same face fabric as the uncompahgre It would be a hard pass for me as casual/lifestyle wear. My uncompahgre solid color pieces show every minor smudge, water droplet, smear, and piece of dirt. After just a trip or two out with the wife they start to look disgusting. Great as packable pieces in the field, not so much for a night on the town.

That being said if they had made a brooks version without the turret hood i'd have picked one up. That's one thing I love about my cirrus.

I've said I before but, I wouldn't be surprised if those first lite guys were to put a hood on a pair of gloves!!!

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Since this thread is more active than other sites, does anyone know if First Lite has any plans to release lighter weight version of their Merino beanie? I love my brimless beanie but it can be too hot for early season. When I messaged FL on their website they recommended their trucker hat for early season headwear... not sure why they would overlook a lightweight version of their beanie. It would definitely be in my pack!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

colersu22

WKR
I just got the brush pants in the mail today, I wear a 36x30 in carhartts and went with the 36x32. Just tried them on real quick and fit around the waist is comparable to my carhartt pants. They are not as fitting as the guide pants and not baggy like the obsidians, reminds me of how the kanab 2.0 was for fit. I was pretty bummed when they changed the fit from the kanab 2.0 to obsidian since they are way to baggy in the thigh and I don’t have chicken legs.

I am excited to try them out since I have destroyed a few pair of kanabs, kanab 2.0 and guide pants hunting in thick western Washington so hopefully these are the ticket.

If first lite did change the fit of the obsidians I’ll definitely order another pair if they are close to the kanab 2.0

Since this thread is more active than other sites, does anyone know if First Lite has any plans to release lighter weight version of their Merino beanie? I love my brimless beanie but it can be too hot for early season. When I messaged FL on their website they recommended their trucker hat for early season headwear... not sure why they would overlook a lightweight version of their beanie. It would definitely be in my pack!

I use the tag cuff in September at night than during the day it's a trucker and a hooded crew when its time or for some extra warmth. Don't know how much lighter you're looking for?

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
I use the tag cuff in September at night than during the day it's a trucker and a hooded crew when its time or for some extra warmth. Don't know how much lighter you're looking for?

The tag cuff beanie is their heavyweight stocking cap beanie. Their regular and brimmed merino beanies are 350 weight (as heavy as their furnace baselayers.) I'd like them to offer their standard 3-panel merino beanie in 150-200 weight range for early season.

And, no offense, but i'm just not into wearing ball caps when i'm out hunting. I get that FL's crew is pretty hipstered out, but the trucker cap is just not something i'm wanting to wear in the field.

I just got the brush pants in the mail today, I wear a 36x30 in carhartts and went with the 36x32. Just tried them on real quick and fit around the waist is comparable to my carhartt pants. They are not as fitting as the guide pants and not baggy like the obsidians, reminds me of how the kanab 2.0 was for fit. I was pretty bummed when they changed the fit from the kanab 2.0 to obsidian since they are way to baggy in the thigh and I don’t have chicken legs.

I am excited to try them out since I have destroyed a few pair of kanabs, kanab 2.0 and guide pants hunting in thick western Washington so hopefully these are the ticket.

If first lite did change the fit of the obsidians I’ll definitely order another pair if they are close to the kanab 2.0
Good news! I might give them a try! Totally agree on the obsidian fit! If they will change back to kanab 2.0 I may sell a kidney and buy a dozen pairs!

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
No hooded crews work for you either then?

I'm probably sounding very picky (more like spent enough time in the field to know what works for me and what doesn't) but i can't stand hoods hanging off the back of my shirts/jackets. Being primarily a midwest whitetail hunter they are either flapping around, interfering with treestand harness, or constraining my hearing or vision in someway. I like a beanie where I can fold or pull up over my ear if needed.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I get that FL's crew is pretty hipstered out, but the trucker cap is just not something i'm wanting to wear in the field.

If a ball cap is not for you then that’s cool. But I wouldn’t say that First Lite is “hipstered” out. Also, that trucker hat is equivalent to a low profile Richardson 112 that 3/4 of non hipster America wears. It’s not an old school high profile foam trucking hat. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If a ball cap is not for you then that’s cool. But I wouldn’t say that First Lite is “hipstered” out. Also, that trucker hat is equivalent to a low profile Richardson 112 that 3/4 of non hipster America wears. It’s not an old school high profile foam trucking hat. Just saying.

I share the exact same abhorence to the hoodie but, she is right! I am as conservative as it gets but, I really like the trucker. It’s a normal ball cap.

Now Jordan, I am not putting you in this but, I like to call that first lite crew a bunch of GANGSTAS!!! They may be a little hip too! Lately, putting out all these baggy pants and hoods!!!🤪. A removable hood option would solve most of my problems. I know you have some influence!!!🤔

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I share the exact same abhorence to the hoodie but, she is right! I am as conservative as it gets but, I really like the trucker. It’s a normal ball cap.

Now Jordan, I am not putting you in this but, I like to call that first lite crew a bunch of GANGSTAS!!! They may be a little hip too! Lately, putting out all these baggy pants and hoods!!!. A removable hood option would solve most of my problems. I know you have some influence!!!

I’ll see if I can het the scoop on that!

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone comment on the Brooks warmth vs KUIU Super Down Ultra and/or Pro? Looks to be right between them on weight.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone got a pair of guide Lite gloves yet? I have a pair of sitka ESW gloves and wondering how they compare, but wouldn’t mind coordinating camo patterns either.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone got a pair of guide Lite gloves yet? I have a pair of sitka ESW gloves and wondering how they compare, but wouldn’t mind coordinating camo patterns either.

Very similar in my opinion. The First Lites have more width room in the fingers I thought.

ChrisAU

WKR
Can anyone comment on the Brooks warmth vs KUIU Super Down Ultra and/or Pro? Looks to be right between them on weight.

I have a Brooks and had a Super Down Ultra, the Brooks is definitely a notch above the Ultra IMO. Not a big notch, but noticeable. I can't speak for the Pro as I haven't had one.

d_rek

Lil-Rokslider
Very similar in my opinion. The First Lites have more width room in the fingers I thought.

Thanks! I think I’m gonna give them a try. That and the talus touch gloves are in my cart right now

sndmn11

WKR

I use a Wind River and folded up for a light weight beanie while running or to cut a little chill in the mornings.

I saw some more mention of hats, i wish there was a flex fit version. I despise adjustable hats because my 6 7/8" head ends up with a pony tail cup on most adjustable hats.

I should be getting some of the new Shale gloves today. I hope I ordered the correct size, but the chart said small so I went with it.

Only thing I have purchased from FL this year that is new/updated is the Shale Glove. It seems to be very nice but I only tried them on for a few minutes before I packed them away until late October.

I purchased a large because I am a large in everything FL. Fit is perfect for me and I should be able to shoot my bow with them on.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update on the Guide Lite pants..

Supposed to be in stock late July / early August.

Last edited: