2019 Arizona live archery hunt

Day 6
The snow refuses to go away. Walking into our glassing spot was like walking in on bags of rice crispies. Once we got closer to the glassing location it turned into a game of frogger, hopping from one exposed rock or plant to another. Jimmy's normally positive and upbeat attitude is being tested. I hope he's strong enough because he's critical to mission success, comparatively I shot my bow like a 10yr old at boy scout camp for the first time. The south facing slopes have mostly defrosted so we will start there. It's supposed to be warm today so hopefully that takes care of the rest of the snow.
a140e9f1637d4ae838a96df1bba2ff44.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Despite the rocky start, theres a coyote moving below us, which is in serious danger if he gets close enough, and coues buck spotted two ridges over.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
There’s a shooter coues in the group. Let’s hope they bed in a stalkable area away from the snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Things are looking up. Turn that frown upside-down and go kill that deer

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jimmy must be re-centering, he sat further away than he normally does. It's probably for the best its kept us from talking so much, so we have been much more quiet. We have learned how to communicate in near silence using a series of eye flutters, rock throwing and text messages.
b6e857557530b9ad46d743ed20a8322d.jpg

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Today isn’t near as cold as yesterday. Feeling a little bit more like AZ

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Those coues are still tucked up under a big cedar surrounded by snow. Let’s hope they don’t bed there. I located another herd of mule deer does but it doesn’t look like they’ve got a buck with them

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
Ok sign me up for the princess club! Jimmy is sitting in lavish dry comfort and I'm sitting on a bag from a pillow I bought at walmart last night.
d6d4a0030385e0dd31b67c1282b347f3.jpg

CAMOFIREs got ya covered today! Good luck:D

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Me and Billy are going to go two different routes. We found the herd of mule deer that’s holding the 3 point but they’ve bedded in snow. I’m going up high near coues and javelina and hopefully I can locate something to put a stalk on. Billy is probably going to get close to the mule deer and wait them out.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I wish I had something to report but we haven’t seen anything. Billy is still above the herd waiting them out. It’s about prime time so hopefully something good happens

If I had unlimited battery life I could do this all day! Put a posiden dark enery charger on the list of things to get. So far on the list helinox zero chair, dark energy battery pack and a quieter rf pouch

If I had unlimited battery life I could do this all day! Put a posiden dark enery charger on the list of things to get. So far on the list helinox zero chair, dark energy battery pack and a quieter rf pouch

Alaska Guide Creations. I have been thru several brands and find these to be the quietest and easiest one hand operation.
A good battery pack is key. They make super small ones for phones on day hunts too. Weigh nothing and can charge a phone a couple times

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
It was getting close to dark and the deer weren’t moving to Billy so I worked my way down and thought I would try to get the deer between us and push them to Billy before dark. He was set up on a saddle. One of 2 escape routes for the deer. I’m sure you know where this is going lol. They side hilled right under him to the other saddle . What’s worse is, I thought the canyon they were in was much wider. When I got to them, I blew them out at 50 yards! Then they ran across to where they were bedded and stopped. That was only 90 yards. Wish I would’ve known but when we watched them all morning that side didn’t even seem possible. Deceiving as hell. I know now for next time that ever happens. And I’ve seen them bed there a few times over the years.

TheCougar

WKR

I’ve got the marsupial rangefinder pouch. I really like it and I don’t think it is noisy, but I’ve never used the FHF pouch so I can’t tell you how loud it is in comparison. I’ve been eying those Helinox chairs for years, but never pulled the trigger. How much back support do they give you? I used to do a tripod stool, but lately I’ve gone with the foam pad and lean against my backpack a lot.

Alaska Guide Creations. I have been thru several brands and find these to be the quietest and easiest one hand operation.
A good battery pack is key. They make super small ones for phones on day hunts too. Weigh nothing and can charge a phone a couple times
I'll look at the acg one, I run their binoharness. Jimmy is using a crooked horn one.

I’ve got the marsupial rangefinder pouch. I really like it and I don’t think it is noisy, but I’ve never used the FHF pouch so I can’t tell you how loud it is in comparison. I’ve been eying those Helinox chairs for years, but never pulled the trigger. How much back support do they give you? I used to do a tripod stool, but lately I’ve gone with the foam pad and lean against my backpack a lot.
Il check out marsupials rf pouch also, thanks for the suggestion. The helinox chair is pretty comfy and I feel like the back support is adequate