2016 Alaska Draw Results are out

Snyd

WKR
Congrats to any here who drew. Nuthin for me this year but I've been blessed with drawing DCUA Walk-in in the past, we got 2 rams. Plus I accompanied a buddy on another hunt and he got his ram on that hunt so I figure I'm ahead of the game. 2 DCUA walk-in hunts and 3 rams.

Get in Sheep Shape and go get em boys!! You've got 5 months!

VernAK

WKR
Good morning Snyd!

I drew nothing either but was hoping for one last DCUA tag also.
FYI.....2015 DCUA [DS203] walk-in yielded 22 rams for 44 hunters....50%...14 tag holders did not hunt.....heavy rains and wind hampered many hunters so I consider that as fairly successful.

The later, motorized [fly-in][DS204] 39 hunters took 18 rams....46%

There is quite a lot of bare ground exposed for winter feeding so perhaps the DCUA herd will flourish.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I drew DS140. October Chugach is going to be a ton of fun and close enough to get some extra scouting in. I'm a wanna be bow hunter though, so that is going to require a whole new bag of tricks... I also drew DC485. In 9 years of applying I've only won twice, so excited to get after these tags.

deadwolf

WKR
I drew DS140. October Chugach is going to be a ton of fun and close enough to get some extra scouting in. I'm a wanna be bow hunter though, so that is going to require a whole new bag of tricks... I also drew DC485. In 9 years of applying I've only won twice, so excited to get after these tags.
What a great hunt that will be! I just started shooting a bow this winter, liking it quite a bit but it is a whole new challenge for sure

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
VernAK... Ya, weather was brutal in the AK Range last year. We went in on the 8th and it was in the high 70's, sunny. Morning of the 10th we had snow. Quite a mix.

deadwoof... good for you! Have you ever been in that country before?

I just heard from an old friend that he drew DS203 (the walk-in) also. He drew it years ago, had a fall on a solo hunt, missed an easy shot at a ram, found his scope was damaged/off. Weather came in and if I remember right I think he found himself swimming/tumbling down Riley creek trying to get out. So for him this is round 2, time to take care of unfinished business. I'm thinkin about going with him for my sheep hunt this year. I got to pull the trigger on a dbl broomer last year so hey.

deadwolf

WKR
Yeah Snyd, I think it was about 6 years ago I drew 204, we went in on wheelers. Long and short of it was my partner, dad, wasn't really cut out to be chasing sheep and we came out early. I wanted to make a second go of it but couldn't due to work. Not the case this year though, got the time off, good hunting partner, and a new spot to check out : ) Congrats on your ram last year! I don't know why but I like the broomed ones : )

Bambistew

WKR
It has finally sunk in... pulled a great tag for the back yard. September can't get here soon enough.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
It has finally sunk in... pulled a great tag for the back yard. September can't get here soon enough.

Congrats man!!! That is awesome!!! Can't wait to read or hear the story on this hunt!!! You taking the bride along?

BRWNBR

WKR
i've hunted the DS140 tag two or three times i think. what i found is that the sheep are incredably spooky after being shot at and harrassed for two months. figure on getting back in where they sheep will be feeling comfortable. i know off eklutna lake strip i saw 15 planes take off last day of bow season a few years back. depending on snowfall it could be ugly. go hard core...practice out to 80 yards( that way less feels like a cake walk) and in wind. know your gear, and your shooting ability and stick to it.

Mike21

FNG
My hunting partner in AK drew ds138. He is a novice and I have just begun research. Any words of wisdom or advice for that area?

Bambistew

WKR
Congrats man!!! That is awesome!!! Can't wait to read or hear the story on this hunt!!! You taking the bride along?

Not sure if she can make it, we're going to try some of the closer stuff at the end of the hunt if I haven't tagged out. We have another little sheep hunter, due next month so it will be tough.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
i've hunted the DS140 tag two or three times i think. what i found is that the sheep are incredably spooky after being shot at and harrassed for two months. figure on getting back in where they sheep will be feeling comfortable. i know off eklutna lake strip i saw 15 planes take off last day of bow season a few years back. depending on snowfall it could be ugly. go hard core...practice out to 80 yards( that way less feels like a cake walk) and in wind. know your gear, and your shooting ability and stick to it.

Thanks. Good info to know.. The Aug / Sept pressure makes scouting tough as who knows were they end up pushed to. Knowing where previous tag holders found pockets of them is going to be critical, or so it seems.

AK4

FNG
Hey guys new to the forum, found some good stuff, I got lucky enough to draw ds180 (Friday creek) any ram tag. I have never been up there, I am going to try and fly in. Very excited if anyone has any info about the area or just sheep hunting in general I would like to hear.
Thanks,
Ron

Ray

WKR
Hey guys new to the forum, found some good stuff, I got lucky enough to draw ds180 (Friday creek) any ram tag. I have never been up there, I am going to try and fly in. Very excited if anyone has any info about the area or just sheep hunting in general I would like to hear.
Thanks,
Ron

You are going to want to hook up with Meekins for the flight. There is another guy out of Palmer that might be able to get you into the unit. I don't know his name, but he showed up for other Friday creek threads over on the AOD.

You can access the area off of Lazy mountain by walking in. Most guys ask about ATV access but the trails up Friday creek are pretty hard going once you are at some old mine sites. If you want to obtain more than "any" ram flying is the best way to get in there.

AK4

FNG
Thanks for the info I will contact meekins. I plan on hiking lazy mountain throughout the summer to get a better idea of the land and hopefully be able to watch some sheep in the process.
Thanks again,
Ron

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks,
Ron

Hunted this with my brother last fall (he drew it). Fun hunt. PM me for details.

Jdog

WKR
Good luck to all his fall...missed last sheep season with a military move to England.

Moving again this summer to Kansas.

Not sure if I'll be able to hit the AK mountains this fall--it's killing me!

Thanks,
Ron

Drive to the end of Maud road and park. If you have a ATV, unload it there and drive it up the trail as far as you're comfortable. Hike the rest of the way, which isn't far, and kill your ram. Probably the easiest sheep hunt in the state.

AK4

FNG
Does that trail at the end of maud go up into the mountains or down into knik river bed?