2014 Stone Glacier Packs

dotman

WKR
Uggghh. I just ordered the Terminus 6000 with all the fixins from Schnees. Is there a date that the 5100 or 7400 will be available?

Isn't there a 30 day return policy if you decide the 2014 bag is what you want?

G Posik

WKR
Hey Kurt, I know in your email you sent me you said the end of January, come on man hurry up! I would really like to have the Sky 5100 along with the other items on that list. You could send me the stuff on my list early and I will not tell anyone! I promise:)

Glenn

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Scotto ~ Yes, we will have all the packs and accessories at the Sheep Show in Reno, we will be in the Schnee’s booths.

Rick~ The primary differences between the 3 piece belt and the 1 piece with lumbar comes down to personal preference and price. Some guys prefer the fit of a 3 piece belt, others prefer the full wrap 1 piece belt, I wanted to offer options for both belts that also offer lumbar adjustment. The 3 piece belt allows you to change the thickness of the lumbar in the same general way as the original lumbar pad for the 1 piece belt, but it is $21 less expensive overall.

Annelo~ No problem on ordering the Terminus, if you decide that one of the new bags will work better once they are available, I will be happy to swap for the Terminus. Shoot me an email [email protected] and I will make sure you get what you need. While we do have a 30 day return policy, I am very flexible with this and will do whatever we need to make sure the purchase works for you. All products are expected to be available by the last week of January.

Glenn~ I am as excited to have the new packs as you, promise to keep you posted!

Kurt

stephen b

WKR
I posted this regarding SG packs last month in another forum; and I think anyone that deals with Kurt would agree:

IMO- Stone Glacier builds excellent well thought out products. By a fella that knows what he is doing and has been where we have been in the field. OK- he has been to cooler places than I have been. ;^)

On top of that- Kurt is a nice guy to deal with and CS is top notch. Pretty amazing to come out of the gate with a new pack line, and in less than a couple years compete with the heavy weights in the hunting pack market. Except, that his are lightweights. :D

tttoadman

WKR
Because he spent years perfecting it before the general population got to see it. He was smart enough to know not to throw something out there that wasn't going to cut it. If it wasn't good enough for him, it wasn't going to be good enough for us either.

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Kurt, what is the maximum torso length that the krux frame can adjust to. I am 6'6" and need a 23" to 24" length on the torso adjustment. Several people have told me that your pack system would work.

jmez

WKR
Very quick and simple. Pack has compression straps that go all the way around. Lay the bow on the pack and buckle the compression straps.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
He just posted that he is updating the site. I'm sure a new link well be provided once the update is complete.

Anyone try the new 3 piece belt yet. what advantages over the one piece and lumbar pad would there be is any?

I tried out SG's three piece belt a few weeks ago. I liked the ability to adjust the lumbar pad up or down to get the best fit. The belt didn't have the power pull straps but tightened down just fine. I didn't get to take the pack out on the trial but was able to load it up at my house with various weights up to 75 lbs. I found that with 75 lbs no matter how I adjusted the lumbar pad it seemed like the weight was riding on the bottom edge of the pad. I fought to get more even pressure of the lumbar pad on my back. I eventually took a wash cloth, folded it, and inserted it into the top half of the lumbar pad pouch. By increasing the thickness of the top half of the lumbar pad I gained slightly better distribution but nothing I would have been comfortable hiking with for a long period of time. I'm sure if I cut some type of additional padding I could build a more comfortable fit but I didn't go that far. Under a 40 lb load the belt felt fine.

For me, I'd like to see denser material used in the lumbar pad and more of a rounded pad like Kifaru uses. The flat pad as currently designed doesn't fit the natural shape of your lumbar area as well as it could.

I thought the same thing about the lumbar pad as you. To me it was more if how the frame was formed at the lower back with the Kifaru and was straight with the Stone Glacier. The SG felt good with light weight, but nothing like the Kifaru did when I got above 50lbs.

At this point I'm running a MR, but, looking to swap out to something lighter this year. At least I have a lot of choices in 2014!
I tried out SG's three piece belt a few weeks ago. I liked the ability to adjust the lumbar pad up or down to get the best fit. The belt didn't have the power pull straps but tightened down just fine. I didn't get to take the pack out on the trial but was able to load it up at my house with various weights up to 75 lbs. I found that with 75 lbs no matter how I adjusted the lumbar pad it seemed like the weight was riding on the bottom edge of the pad. I fought to get more even pressure of the lumbar pad on my back. I eventually took a wash cloth, folded it, and inserted it into the top half of the lumbar pad pouch. By increasing the thickness of the top half of the lumbar pad I gained slightly better distribution but nothing I would have been comfortable hiking with for a long period of time. I'm sure if I cut some type of additional padding I could build a more comfortable fit but I didn't go that far. Under a 40 lb load the belt felt fine.

For me, I'd like to see denser material used in the lumbar pad and more of a rounded pad like Kifaru uses. The flat pad as currently designed doesn't fit the natural shape of your lumbar area as well as it could.

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
AK Shane – That must be the pack that has been floating around Anchorage the last 2 years, it has the very first prototype 3 piece belt I built almost a year ago. I sent that one up for feedback just like yours, there have been 3 revisions since that first belt and lots of miles under load. I was not aware that particular belt was still floating around, I need to round it up or update it as it is not an accurate representation of the final product.
With the foam supplied with the 3 piece belt you can create that custom roll as you suggested, that is the primary function behind the design. The roll is adjustable vertically and the foam can be shaped to the user’s preference. There will also be foam blanks available for those that prefer a very aggressive lumbar pad or would like to further customize. There is really no limit on the sizing or shape you can create as the spacer mesh fabric will allow lots of flexibility. Hopefully you will get a chance to test the final product as I think you will find function and comfort quite different that your results with that prototype belt.

Stephen – Thanks for the kind words, good to hear you have been satisfied with the service.

For those that may be interested, I just finished updating our website with all the new products, specs, and photos. Videos are to follow shortly as I am in the process of editing…hopefully soon Schnee’s has been working on their site to start accepting pre-orders, but we are not 100% there yet. They are scheduled to have it ready tomorrow.

Thanks
Kurt

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Kurt, I had asked earlier in this thread, but, what is the maximum torso length that your packs adjust to? I am looking for a pack that can get to at least 23 inches.

Thanks in advance

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
E Wa Hunter – I apologize I missed your previous question. I am 6’4” and have a 21” torso, there are still over 2 inches of vertical adjustment. I am confident the shoulder straps and harness will have enough adjustment. However, as I have mentioned to other customers, we do offer a 30 day money back guarantee to insure that the pack fits properly under load and meets your expectations.
Thanks
Kurt