2013 Sitka Alpine ruck

Negative on the new pack, but some experience with the old ones. It looks good in theory, but unless they changed some basic things with their pack manufacturer, I would steer away from Sitka packs in general. I've got a 2012 Bivy 30 in inventory, and while it is very detailed out design wise, it has some major issues with the quality of the straps and hardware. Not what I would expect from the price range they are selling for.

Yk

Yellowknife is there anything specific that broke or could we get more information on the major issues. Just curious because I was considering a Flash 32. Snipershirt I haven't done anything but look at it in the store and I didn't go over it all that close. Looks like most of the other Sitka bivy packs in general just uses whatever the different sack material is instead of their typical fabric. The new pack body is very lightweight material. I will look closer the next time I see one in a store.

My dad and I both got a Sitka pack for Christmas a year and a half ago. Both of us have experienced buckle breakage at the slightest provocation. In dads case, almost every one on the pack has been replaced at this point. Also the straps are all tend to fray and feather at the end. Since Sitka made the straps WAY too long, we have been able to keep cutting and remelting them, but they are obviously sub par material.

Other minor beefs specific to the Bivy 30 is that the pockets can't be easily loaded if the main bag is full, and the arc frame takes up much of the main bag space, so it's often full. Shoulder strap and harness attachment is pretty cheesy too.

Some things about the pack are really slick and I wanted to like it, but IMO the execution was weak.

Yk

I looked at the alpine ruck again today. It appears to be narrower and use the different material I mentioned before and also has a different frame/support than the typical mesh back panel with an arched aluminum frame on most of the Sitka packs I have looked at, instead it feels like the same hard material used between the pack bag and that frame mentioned above. No other frame that I can find. Probably the reason for the lower price even though it is a new pack?