2013 Sheep Show update

shaun

WKR
Had a good time meeting everyone. Looks like I will be pulling the trigger for 2014 archery sheep. Met with Tom Shankster from AK Trophy hunts seems like a good guy gave me reference list and video of this years hunts and told me to make calls watch video then give deposit. Talked to guy workin B&C booth and he shot a B&C ram with Tom with a long bow

Lukem

WKR
Wasn't New Mexico selling a desert tag at the convention? Anybody know what that went for? Saw pics of a ram they think'll go over 200 down there. :eek:

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
Got a call while out goose hunting today. Turns out I won the <1 Club Dall sheep hunt!!! I can't thank the WSF enough for this oppurtunity, there is no way I would be able to go on a sheep hunt without this!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got a call while out goose hunting today. Turns out I won the <1 Club Dall sheep hunt!!! I can't thank the WSF enough for this oppurtunity, there is no way I would be able to go on a sheep hunt without this!

Right on dude! My friend won the first pick(fannin)! Congrats to you guys!

dotman

WKR

That is awesome! Congrats, better go buy a lotto ticket :)

bighouse31

Lil-Rokslider
How about the US flag that was flown at Bagram Air Force base in Afganastan that just sold for 100k. Goes to show that these sheep guys are not just in it for themselves. Well done WSF. I would assume this was bought and donated back multiple times to reach the 100k but it does not matter. This group of folks are some of the most generous people around and truly care about the wild sheep conservation effort.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved

Congratulations on the hunt. Either of the hunts would be fantastic! Can't say it will be the hunt of the lifetime, but the beginning of a journey that is hard to describe. Guarantee that you will find a way to hunt another one.

Mckinnon

WKR
Well I got to meet Aron and the guys at Kryptek. Nice guys and very knowledgeable to say the least. The borealis shirt seems to be a great piece of gear that I plan to invest in soon. I also got to try on some packs that I have been eyeing as well.

Lukem

WKR
I'm guessing two people with money think world record, not just book. That's an impressive price and won't include the scouting and guide expense to the tune of a few more dollars.
There were 4 bidders still in at $450,000

Congrats! That is awesome! Sweet to see that go to a fellow Rokslider.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
There were 4 bidders still in at $450,000.

That sorts the men from the boys. Last time I went to a sheep show I was sitting next to a guy from Wisconsin and he was bidding on the Idaho tag (11 was available that year). When the price got to about $100K, he asked me what I thought. I told him my opinion, but also told him that I wasn't the one bidding. He ended up the the tag and I think got a nice sheep. The same year, a guy bought the New Mexico tag for $100K+ and redonated it. Fun show to go to. Hopefully I can get back next year.

Last edited:
Awesome show and congrats to all the winners. Can't wait for the nbu dinner this year and sheep show next year. Also got to meet Aron yesterday he is a Down to earth guy it was good talking to him.

I had a great time at Reno. Always impressive to see the high rollers play.

Stopped by and talked with Mr. Snyder. He gave me a demo on his new pack design and showed me how much weight it would carry.......

IMG9590851_zpsc423713b.jpg

BigSurArcher

Banned
I also had a great time at the show. A few things stood out to me: 1.) The Kifaru Bikini frame/ Highcamp bag is a must-have by deer season. 2.) I can't wait to get some 15x56's. Definitely going with the Vortex, especially since the Swaro's don't close narrow enough for my eyes. 3.) The new Leica's are ugly, and feel strange in the hand (*to me). 4.) The new Vortex spotters are even nicer in person than they are on paper (ergonomics, quality, feel).

It was great to meet you guys, looking forward to more encounters in the future.