2012 Mule Deer Goals

Sounds awesome Daniel!

We're heading out this weekend for the first scouting trip of our ID muley unit... can't wait!

Mike

OP
Evan Williams
Just got off the phone with some of my landowners in Kansas!!!! Airplane has been spotted!!!!! The northern landowner gave me permission again which is a piece that he frequents but when the pressure is turned up he retreats to the southern neighbors property. I have gotten permission before but that is a face-to-face conversation.

Airplane: A typical frame over 180" (last year my two sightings of him were VERY quick but I would put his typical frame around 184-186) and he carries two matching 6" kickers. One off each G2. He broke one off last year.

JG358

WKR
1st goal: scout and locate a good buck for my hunting partner since I did not draw the tag this year and his scouting time is limited. Find something big enough he will keep from shooting the first forked horn he sees.
2nd goal: if I get a leftover tag, get a bigger buck than I have on the wall (mid 150")
3rd goal: Kill out quick enough to add South Dakota mule deer to the hunting season.

Limited? More like non existent:(

SD season doesn't start unlit About the last week of CO season, you'll have plenty of time.

ktowncamo

WKR
A lot of really good goals and ambitions, thanks all for sharing them. I think mine are a lot like many others. I've not killed a mule deer with my bow and although I'd likely settle for anything for a first mule deer buck with my bow, I want to hold out for a 4x of no particular score. That said, the primary goal will be to harvest the first buck that provides a worthy experience. What I mean by that is I will harvest once the experience feels like it's been what I wanted to get out of the hunt. Each of us put so much incalculable effort, time, money, hope into a season that more important than the kill for me is the right kill at the right time, when the hunt has proved to be "enough" of a payback. The cool thing is that point of "enough" is relative for each of us.

Anyway, here's to hoping we all fulfill our goals this season. 5 weeks!!

Usually my deer goals revolve around the tag that i draw. No use beating yourself up triing to get a 30" buck when a 25" buck is a mature willy buck for the area. My expectations have gone up with my cashing in on 15 points in colorado. Some tremendous bucks get taken and are seen every year in the area I drew. I expect to stay longer and work harder to put myself in position to take a 190"+ buck. Since i play the points game, sometimes I draw,sometimes i dont.But always accruing points.
This year i also drew a Nevada late rifle tag. With my 10-12 days i dont have time do both well, so i think i will give my NV tag back(keep my 4 pts) and put "all in" on Colorado.
Oh yes, Co 44 3rd rifle.
Embarassing plug...If you read this and would be willing to give some info please give a call, email, or send by carrier pigeon. 5309065850 :)

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I wont be personally hunting mulies this year, so my goal is to prove myself and get a client a nice buck my first season of guiding!

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
Goal #1: Help my daughter shoot her first buck (which she wants to be bigger than the boys in class that told her "girls don't hunt")
Goal #2 : Anchor a mature Wyoming high country buck and help my partner pack out one of his own. Can't wait Matt!
Goal #3: Put an arrow in another desert buck in my home state

Looking forward to it Bobby. I have a feeling that you will be punching your tag well before I do in Wyoming.

This will be my first mule deer hunt ever. Actually, I've got two planned. A bow hunt in Colorado Unit 43 and a rifle hunt in New Mexico Unit 58. I'm really looking forward to the high country hunt...been dreaming about something like this forever and am excited to finally make it happen. My goal on the Colorado hunt would be to punch my tag with a mature deer. Anything over 150" would be icing on the cake. Is 150" a reasonable goal for 43? I know some monsters are taken every year, but I really want to get an opportunity to try and stalk some deer and am hoping I'll get a few chances on deer at least 150". My goal on the New Mexico hunt may change depending on how I do in Colorado haha

Usually my deer goals revolve around the tag that i draw. No use beating yourself up triing to get a 30" buck when a 25" buck is a mature willy buck for the area. My expectations have gone up with my cashing in on 15 points in colorado. Some tremendous bucks get taken and are seen every year in the area I drew. I expect to stay longer and work harder to put myself in position to take a 190"+ buck. Since i play the points game, sometimes I draw,sometimes i dont.But always accruing points.
This year i also drew a Nevada late rifle tag. With my 10-12 days i dont have time do both well, so i think i will give my NV tag back(keep my 4 pts) and put "all in" on Colorado.
Oh yes, Co 44 3rd rifle.
Embarassing plug...If you read this and would be willing to give some info please give a call, email, or send by carrier pigeon. 5309065850 :)

Get in touch with me, I helped with two hunts in 44 last year. Both bucks we took grossed over 200 inches. 44 is my back yard.

Coloradoboy

Hey great buck wheere are you hunting in Kansas? I have about 10000 acres I hunt south of Hay and we have taken some really nice ones there and I hae even bigger ones on video.. I was chasing what I thought would be a new Ks record for typical I figured him to gross around 215" BUt as his nickname implied (Grey Ghost) he disappeared.. My landowner kept telling me about this buck for 2 yrs and I finally got some footage of him in 2010. I shot a buck that was most likely his son, grossed 179 net 170 typical w a 25" inside spread..