2012 Mule Deer Goals

Hoytnut

FNG
First things first - I'm going to scout the heck out of my area. It could be an interesting year due to the dry conditions. After scouting, I will make my plan of attack to take the best buck possible. Hoping for anything in the 170+ range, but will consider any buck that excites me. Good luck to everyone!

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
My mule deer goal is the same as it has been for the last 30 years; have a good time chasing them with a bow, if I see something that makes my heart beat a bit faster then I loosen an arrow (regardless of score), share my failure and success with those who are interested.

I guess I'll add one more goal this year; be careful and safe I'll be backpacking solo in the high-country this year in CO for about 8 days, as my hunting partner can't do both trips (CO & AZ elk). He picked elk over mule deer (can't blame him since it's AZ). :)

Roy, sounds like you need another hunting partner......hmmmmmm.....

180"+, I prefer a non typical with a lot of trash. He must be a mature buck. I hunt mule deer in the high country at timberline and just want a big old gnarly buck I guess.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Considering I am going OTC, a buck with a pulse is my only prerequisite. I will be focusing on elk but if opportunity presents itself...

Pueblo

FNG
I'll be solo in CO above timberline on opening day. My goals are to physically perform in this wilderness well enough to enjoy myself, be satisfied with my effort and take a mature mule deer buck, one of the biggest in his bachelor group, preferably in velvet. Oh, and take about 400 pictures of the incredible scenery, enjoy the warmth of my down bag as I settle in each night and walk out in September with a smile knowing I did my best. A week or so later I would like to take a nice mature Blacktail spot and stalk on the windswept ridges that rise a few miles north of my home.

bobhunts

WKR
One of my goals would be to get a leftover tag where I am hunting Elk. Not gonna happen! But I always survey the list as I might see a tag where I might go as a back-up Elk unit. Bob.

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
My goals are # 1 kill the biggest buck I scout during the summer in north dakota with my bow,has to be at least 170#2 kill 175+ buck in eastern montana#3 kill biggest buck I scout in Idaho this summer 180 or bust.

The area I am hunting this year is brand new to me... But the area I hunted last year was brand new to me as well, so was mule deer hunting! With that, I have my cousin coming out to Idaho for a week long late season bow hunt. With litteraly no time on the ground in this unit prior to the hunt, my #1 goal is to show him a good time, give him every shot that becomes available until he gets one and make sure we both have fun.

If he shoots one, then it is my turn to hunt. My goal is to shoot one bigger than the one I shot last year. If that happens, great... If not, I will be spending time in the hills with my best friend and that is what matters most to me.

Good luck to everyone and your goals, may they all be realized!

BigSurArcher

Banned
Awesome thread! My number one goal for Nevada this year is to make the most of all the training I've been doing. I feel that if I hunt to my physical potential this year, everything else will fall into place. I would be stoked with a 170 type buck when all is said and done, but of course I will be keeping an eye peeled for something a tad bigger. But like others have eluded to, if it makes my heart go pitter patter... he's getting shot. Luckily it takes a pretty good buck to fire me up.

Good luck to everyone! I can't wait to see this forum go off come hunting season. It's gonna be impressive.

Jdog

WKR
Looking for a mature CO buck.

Would prefer something 170" or better as the unit I am hunting is hunted hard.

bowuntr

WKR
My goal is to hunt the biggest buck I can locate in the area I'm hunting. Hopefully it'll be in the 170 class. We'll see... can't wait ..... 30 days.... Ed F

Goal #1: Help my daughter shoot her first buck (which she wants to be bigger than the boys in class that told her "girls don't hunt")
Goal #2 : Anchor a mature Wyoming high country buck and help my partner pack out one of his own. Can't wait Matt!
Goal #3: Put an arrow in another desert buck in my home state

Every hunting season I see,miss, or have a close call with a trophy buck. And those encounters haunt me untill the next season. So this year my goal is to take all those lessons learned and bring that buck home. I also have the pleasure of hunting with two of my best friends on there first high country hunt so another one of my goals is to make sure they have the trip of a lifetime.

a3dhunter

WKR
1st goal: scout and locate a good buck for my hunting partner since I did not draw the tag this year and his scouting time is limited. Find something big enough he will keep from shooting the first forked horn he sees.
2nd goal: if I get a leftover tag, get a bigger buck than I have on the wall (mid 150")
3rd goal: Kill out quick enough to add South Dakota mule deer to the hunting season.

I'm heading to Colorado for a archery hunt and then in Utah for a rifle hunt and possibly Idaho for a rifle hunt. I'm way excited. It's been quite a while since I've taken a muley so I'm going for the biggest one I see.

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Well plans have changed, found a good basin back in a wilderness area that has Both mule deer and Coues deer. Glassed a few good bucks this morning before the rain hit. Then I hiked down into the middle of the basin and found a little spring running down the side of some cliffs into a rock pool. On the way out I bumped a really good cinammon bear so ill be there glassing for either a buck or a bear. Daniel