2 man shelter

Benny

FNG
You're more than welcome to grab mine and try it out if you're ever in the Puyallup area....

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Betwen the 4 man and Sawtooth, the Sawtooth WITHOUT A DOUBT.

Between the 6 man and Sawtooth, the 6 man has a lot more room.

For two people in a backpacking environment, the Sawtooth will win every time.

bbrown

WKR
They way my buddy described it the sloped lower portion of the sawtooth is only good for sleeping and/or some gear storage. Stove and wood storage takes up a good portion of the taller area so that only leaves a bit of "standing room". Where the six man has the typical pyramid shape so these is more options for interior layout. Again I do not have any personal experience with either yet but its his only back country shelter and he has spent quite a bit of time in it. Being familiar with pyramid/tipi style shelters all of his complaints make sense to me.

bbrown

WKR

When you say backpacking environment do you mean literally carried in a pack or just off the beaten path? I am a ways out of picking up either of these shelters but for an Alaska fly in or float style hunts or even horse back hunts here in CO I am curious which you think would be best.

OP
fillthefreezer

what about splitting duty as a base camp 60% and backpacking 40%. would that sway things or still go with the sawtooth

Shrek

WKR
For a height reference , I'm 6'4" and can stand if I dance with the pole in my Sawtooth but I brush the fabric with the stubble on my head. Your friend at 6'2" will clear right up against the pole for dressing and such but he isn't stepping anywhere. I love my Sawtooth and stove , I can't stand to crawl into a tent.

bbrown

WKR
For a height reference , I'm 6'4" and can stand if I dance with the pole in my Sawtooth but I brush the fabric with the stubble on my head. Your friend at 6'2" will clear right up against the pole for dressing and such but he isn't stepping anywhere. I love my Sawtooth and stove , I can't stand to crawl into a tent.
Pole dancing in a sawtooth huh - not sure I needed that mental image

Shrek

WKR
I wasn't thinking about it that way but now that you mentioned it it's messing with my own mind. Now I will feel self conscious when I get dress. Thaks for the help ! Lol.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I would choose the Sawtooth out of the three, but the 6 has more room.

The tooth takes up less room in the pack/boat/plain, and weighs less as well.
When you say backpacking environment do you mean literally carried in a pack or just off the beaten path? I am a ways out of picking up either of these shelters but for an Alaska fly in or float style hunts or even horse back hunts here in CO I am curious which you think would be best.

bbrown

WKR
Sorry Shrek - I've been told I have a "sophomoric" sense of humor... ha

I would choose the Sawtooth out of the three, but the 6 has more room.

The tooth takes up less room in the pack/boat/plain, and weighs less as well.
Thanks - looking forward to using one and seeing how well it would work for me. I guess depending on the area it might be tough to find an area big enough to pitch the 6.

Stid2677

WKR
I have packed my Sawtooth for 20 plus miles one way many times, one thing to consider is when the wind really starts rocking the Sawtooth has way more USABLE space than a 6 man as the gear has to be kept away from the flapping sides or holes will get worn in it. During calm weather no problem, but when it starts rocking you have to move stuff back. I have used mine in Alaska for over 3 years and spent over a 100 nights in it.

Steve

Shrek

WKR
Since we are hashing out the Sawtooth I'm going to throw a question out. I've damaged and lost several stakes and I purchased three replacements from Kifaru. They sent three vargo aluminum stakes instead of the durapegs. I haven't seen durapegs available and the aluminum ones I purchased all bent . Question is do the vargo ti crevice stakes hold as well as the durapegs and hold up as well or where do I get replacement durapegs ? Any other good stakes for the sawtooth that don't give up so easily ?

Lawnboi

WKR
I posted on the kifaru forums when my six man came with those vargo aluminum pegs. No more dura pegs.

I wish I would have gotten groundhogs though. I've bent half my vargo pegs in the same ground that I have never bent a groundhog.

Anyone else who got vargo pegs think they are junk?

Shrek

WKR
I don't just think the vargo aluminum stakes are junk I know they are junk ! What I want to know is how tough are the vargo ti stakes and will they hold well enough ? I guess I can wait for a 20% off coupon from campmor and get two packs of groundhogs but they are aluminum too so how tough can they be ? I'd pay the price if the ti stakes are tough enough I don't have to worry about pounding on them with a big rock. If they were a little longer I would have already bought them , the ti long spoon is tough so I expect the stakes are too. I would use my spoon for a stake in a jam without hesitation.

Lawnboi

WKR
Shrek I've used groundhogs for a few years now. Pounded them into frozen ground,rocks and stomped them in with my feet. I bent more of those vargo pegs in 1 trip with the tipi than I ever have with my groundhogs. I wouldn't base your opinion on aluminum based on those flimsy vargo pegs.

And the groundhogs I have bent we're not the 90degree bends I put in the vargo pegs. Shoot on the vargos I bent the head of a few of them just from pounding them in like you do with any other stake.

Shrek

WKR
Yes sir ! The vargo aluminum bent at the head. I was afraid to pound them in any further because I didn't have but 1 spare at the time. Does anyone know if durapeg went out of business ? After I put little loops of 550 through all my state loops so I could pull the durapegs I really started to like them.