2 man shelter

best 2 man shelter for late season/WET western wa weather/alaska
stand up tall
wood stove
lighter the better, will be a base camp sometimes and backpacked in other times
enough room for cots would be a plus

what would you run?

6 man tipi would fit the bill.My Kifaru with no pole or liner is less than 5 lbs.I've heard S. O. shelters are even lighter although I have no first hand experience with them

Lawnboi

WKR
I recently got a kifaru 6man.

The PERFECT 2 man shelter IMO.

I have not tried a sawtooth though. I picked up the tipi over the sawtooth cause I liked a few of the features it had over the sawtooth.

3 people and a stove would be tight in the 6man, but 2 people, a whole bunch of wood, and a whole bunch of gear.... it is perfect.

If you are over 5 10, you may look at the 8 man if you want to stand straight up. 6' + guys in the six man with the stove going, you would have to crouch slightly. Still not bad though.

And with the new oval stoves, you can get a heated shelter for a very good weight.

When its wet, or im expecting below freezing temps for most or all of the time, ill be taking a liner and a stove with.

OP
fillthefreezer
never more than 2.
im 6', hunting pard like 6'2. wife's 5'8.

anyone run a sawtooth and a 6man have any highs or lows to each?

Sawtooth, 6 man tipi, even 8 man tipi. The 8 man would be a castle for room and it and a stove are really not that heavy to be split up between two guys.

Benny

FNG
Sawtooth is pretty tough to beat for two fella's.

IMG_0947_zps5e51febf.jpg

Stid2677

WKR
Sawtooth with Liner, Medium High wall Oval Stove and a couple luxury lite cots and you have a wonderful 2 man setup. I have used this setup from the mountain tops to the sea shore.

I do like the Tipis, and have experience with 12 man and SL5, if you are going to be exposed to HIGH wind, they simply cannot compare to the Sawtooth. The Sawtooth sheds wind like no other shelter I have used.

IMGP1504.jpg

IMGP1646.jpg

45b0737a-feab-41c7-8939-5d8dd37b6da5_zpsb707c3e1.jpg

P8200388_zps6ce2f73e.jpg

P8170294_zpsed49a020.jpg

Room for 4 around the stove and 5 was not too bad.

P8310034_zps8d4da312.jpg

Sawtooth on Kodiak in 50mhp plus wind, withstood this for several day, without issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUcs9kS4DRY

IMGP2091-1.jpg

IMGP0495.jpg

Steve

I'd like to have a sawtooth but I do have an eight man Kifaru and it's the Ritz for two guys and cots. There's usually a horse packing it though.

bbrown

WKR
I have no experience with either but on paper I would go for the 6 man for that style of shelter IE neither is real light weight and the possibility of being stuck inside for days. Sure its almost $200 more and 1.75lbs heavier but almost 60 more sqft and more interior space/volume inside the shelter. On the other hand, from the pictures above I don't think you can go wrong with either and I am hoping to borrow a Sawtooth to check it out.

Also a buddy of mine who I guide with has the Sawtooth and after using it for a couple years said he would go with the 6 man over the Sawtooth. Between him, his wife and occasionally their dog plus gear and the stove there is not as much usable space as it appears.
He is also a big ginger ogre who has a flock of pack goats so take that for whats its worth... hehe

OP
fillthefreezer
almost 60 more sqft and more interior space/volume inside the shelter. On the other hand, from the pictures above I don't think you can go wrong with either and I am hoping to borrow a Sawtooth to check it out.
im curious how much of the aditional sq footage is really usable to justify the 1.75lbs.

When we used the 6 man this past winter, we had 3 people and two dogs... No stove. There was plenty of room! However, seeing my buddy pull the entire Tipi, stakes, cord and pole out of his pack just made me wonder if the extra weight was worth it. There was a lot of room inside of it and we used it several times. I personally like the Tipi much better when you incorporate the liner and that adds more weight, the reduction of condensation was very nice, especially when it's below freezing.

If there is a chance that you could be stuck in your shelter for several days due to weather, the Tipi would likely be more accomodating.

That said, I still want a Sawtooth with a stove.