2 man 4 season tent recommendation

mcseal2

WKR
I am headed to Kodiak to hunt deer early this November. There will be 4 of us dropped by plane and camping/hunting for a week.

We are taking a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man tent that’s about 10’x10’. Two of the guys will be sleeping in it, plus it will be our spot to hang out in the evenings. The other two of us are planning to each take a 2 man tent to sleep in.

Steve is planning to get a Hilleburg Staika. I was planning to get a Kuiu Storm Star or Stone Glacier Skyscraper but both are backordered. I contacted both companies and they don’t expect to get tents in before my hunt. Kuiu recently changed their expected arrival date for Storm Stars from June to November, I did not expect to have issues getting one until now.

Any other options I should consider? I’d prefer to keep the weight down in the 5-6lb range for future fly-in hunts with a tighter weight limit. That weight slot is secondary to having a tent capable of handling Kodiak weather.

Thanks for any help you can give.

*zap*

WKR
My rei asl arete 2 is the closest I come to a 4 season....it is very wind proof and handles snow very well. Built in vents on each side at the top fight condensation well. Staked/guyed properly and it will stand up to high wind/snow very well. I often use an rei garage on it for more vestibule size.

Htm84

WKR
I don’t have a real world experience with these but they look like a pretty bomber tent.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I love the tipi type tents with stoves for a lot of things. Not sure I’ll have wood to burn or if it will handle the wind for Kodiak though. A buddy and I have a Seek 8 man.

I have a North Face Mountain 25 that will handle anything you can throw at it weather wise. It's my go to for winter hunts. A bit heavier than you are looking at, but it's an absolutely bombproof expedition 4 season tent. Look into single wall climbing tents like Bibler too, some awesome 4 season lightweight tents out there that weigh very little. All just depends what your budget looks like. My Kuiu Mountain Star (2p) handles weather up to about late October before it gets a bit chilly. It's fairly small, and I look at it as a solo tent, don't think I would want to cram into it with anyone but my wife.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I love the tipi type tents with stoves for a lot of things. Not sure I’ll have wood to burn or if it will handle the wind for Kodiak though. A buddy and I have a Seek 8 man.
I bet a Seek Outside Cimarron with proper guy outs will handle the wind much better than you think. personally, I would be confident taking any of my Seek Outside shelters to Kodiak, however I lack personal experience, so take that with a grain of salt.

@Kevin_t

Edit: Looks like the Cimarron, in all 3 flavors (double door, light, and DCF), is in stock.

CO-AJ

WKR
Agree with Marbles. I love my SO Cimarron in DCF. They also make a liner for it and if you threw in a small stove you may have everyone wanting to hang out at your tent. I have not had mine in AK conditions, but have had it out on some shoulder seasons in the high rockies with no issues.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bet a Seek Outside Cimarron with proper guy outs will handle the wind much better than you think. personally, I would be confident taking any of my Seek Outside shelters to Kodiak, however I lack personal experience, so take that with a grain of salt.

@Kevin_t

Edit: Looks like the Cimarron, in all 3 flavors (double door, light, and DCF), is in stock.
Many Kodiak residents use the Redcliff and Cimarron , in DCF. They use them for field work, pack rafting, hunting you name it

I have used our mountain hardware trango 3 in some.nasty stuff including snow and ot was great. Its heavier then you want but plenty of room for 2 guys a gear. You could look at a trango 2 which would be lighter.

I haven't tried it but you are supposed to be able to use just the poles and tent fly as a light weight set up as well.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks all for the advice.

I was looking at another option too. The Hilleberg Nammatgi 2. It is 6lbs 10oz and looks to be stout. Not a true free standing tent but it checks all the other boxes.

Mannsbuick

Lil-Rokslider
I am headed to Kodiak to hunt deer early this November. There will be 4 of us dropped by plane and camping/hunting for a week.

We are taking a Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man tent that’s about 10’x10’. Two of the guys will be sleeping in it, plus it will be our spot to hang out in the evenings. The other two of us are planning to each take a 2 man tent to sleep in.

Steve is planning to get a Hilleburg Staika. I was planning to get a Kuiu Storm Star or Stone Glacier Skyscraper but both are backordered. I contacted both companies and they don’t expect to get tents in before my hunt. Kuiu recently changed their expected arrival date for Storm Stars from June to November, I did not expect to have issues getting one until now.

Any other options I should consider? I’d prefer to keep the weight down in the 5-6lb range for future fly-in hunts with a tighter weight limit. That weight slot is secondary to having a tent capable of handling Kodiak weather.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Hilleberg “Tarra” it’s a (2) man and it’s their “black label” line.. really can’t get any better 💪