2 bags, how cumbersome?

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I just went from a synthetic bag to a down quilt because I wanted more flexibility in my sleep system. I also do hammock style with an under quilt which I sleep great in. Never could get comfortable on the ground. I don’t set up the tarp if the weather is clear just a hassle if you are moving every day. I slept in 20* without a tarp and was very comfortable. I bought a liner for my bag and it was a pita to get in and out of so I can imagine using two bags to be similarly a pain. Either way good luck and have fun on your hunt.

SonnyDay

WKR
I would definitely bring a tent and assume you'll be setting it up each night. Not sure how high up you'll be, but between snow squalls that didn't make the forecast and likely a good bit of wind... a tent can keep you much warmer. It is especially nice in the mornings... even making coffee/breakfast or melting snow for water can bring the inside temperature of a tent up quite a bit while you get out of your sleeping bags and dress.

It sounds like you are truck camping... so throw a whole mess of additional pads/bags/quilts in there in case it gets really cold.

Have fun!