1st impressions of my new Kimber Montana

So I needed/wanted a new lightweight rifle for my 2020 Yukon sheep hunt. Yes, I’ve read all the horror stories about Kimbers not living up to their MOA promise. I’ve also read all the critics posts saying it’s mostly shooter error due to a lightweight rifle being “difficult” and a different beast. After handling several Kimbers and a couple of Tikkas, I decided to take a chance on the Kimber. It, and a VX-3, arrived, were assembled with Tally LW rings and I was ready to go. 1st up for testing was 2 flavors of Hornady Superformance. I should say here, the gun is in 270win. 130 GMX got me a couple of 2”-2 1/2” groups. I moved on. 130 SST’s got me down to 1 1/8”. Not bad but I certainly wasn’t thrilled. Back to the LGS for more varieties 130 Interlocks, a bullet I’ve had great luck with in the past, wouldn’t go under 1 1/2”. Now doubt is creeping in about the Kimber. Were the naysayers right? I finally pulled out the Hornady Precision Hunters with 145gr ELD-X’s. 1st 2 shots nearly touching, 3rd shot spreads out to 1 1/4”. Could’ve been me I decide. 3 more shots get me 1 1/8”. Cliser but I’m still not jumping up and down or brimming with confidence. I sit back and reflect a bit. I’ve been shooting groups all my life, but with 7 1/2lb+ rifles. No one, in the threads I’d read, or myself, wants to believe it’s them. I decided more focus was needed as I really didn’t want to go crawling back to Kimber saying “this thing won’t shoot”. Loading up 3 more, vowing to let the barrel cool more than sufficiently, I fire off another group. Turns out it was me all along. 15/16” is good enough for someone learning to shoot a lightweight rifle. I have to find some Barnes and Noslers to try and I’ll definitely be handloading for it, but at least I know, in my own head, that the gun can do it’s part. Yes, it’s a different beast than the heavier rifles, but it’s gonna be lots of fun to play with.
8E8B5237-4DF5-4CAB-957C-32706836059C.jpeg

I'd say stay with premium or monolithic 130's - Accubonds, Etips, TTSX, TSX, Hornady INTERBONDS (if you can find some) - You might want to try 140 Accubonds but I'd not go heavier and 130 is the sweet spot for .270

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Went through that exact same thing when I got my first kimber, I just worked on it more and more and now have no trouble shooting a sub 1” group with several types of Ammo that work in my gun.

OP
Ariettabob
Any time a gun will shoot 1-1.5 moa with random samples....it'll likely shoot half that with the right stuff. Stuff isn't just ammo, form and conditions apply too.

Stay on it....it's close.

I couldn’t agree more. I think I was letting the negative reviews get in my head when I was into the 4th variety and wasn’t seeing the expected results. Thanks for the encouragement
I'd say stay with premium or monolithic 130's - Accubonds, Etips, TTSX, TSX, Hornady INTERBONDS (if you can find some) - You might want to try 140 Accubonds but I'd not go heavier and 130 is the sweet spot for .270

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll start with them in my reloading process, plus a couple more boxes of factory. I enjoy the process.
What are you thinking?????

If the rifle won't group, it's always the rifle!!!!!

Good luck on your new learning curve and especially good luck preparing for and going on your hunt!

😂 20-30 years ago I’d have surely blamed the rifle. The whole age/wisdom thing I guess. Thanks, prep work is something I love, so between now and August 2020 I’m in heaven.

Went through that exact same thing when I got my first kimber, I just worked on it more and more and now have no trouble shooting a sub 1” group with several types of Ammo that work in my gun.
Thanks, some of your posts/replies on the subject were what prompted me to choose the Kimber and also to re-evaluate my form.