165gr TGK from a 30-06

sndmn11

WKR
I have only ever shot at animals with mono ets, and might continue doing so. However, if I did want to switch, would the 165gr sierra tipped game king be a good choice? It seems to be economically priced compared to the Barnes I current have loaded but am nearly out of.

BFR

WKR
I’ve used the sierra 165 gr lead boat tails for 50+ years with excellent results. Don’t know about the Game Kings but you should be fine, or drop to 150s for more velocity. Have you tried them in your rifle for accuracy? That is the key, if they’re good then go for it.

TX_Diver

WKR
If you do go that way the factory seconds are in stock at PV currently...

wayno945

FNG
I shot a muley buck with that bullet this year out of a 308. Plenty of expansion and passed through. I plan on using them again.

Grumman

WKR
Hope you feel better soon. My boy shot an antelope with those and they worked well. 265 yards if I remember correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EM_556

WKR
I have had excellent results with this setup. I am loading 58gr of H4350 with the 165 TGK out of my 24" Proof Rem700 30-06 Build. It has consistently shot at 2975fps and right around 5/8" groups at 100yards.

Shot my first whitetail deer this year with it. Granted it was only 80-100 yards away but dropped it in its tracks.

I would recommend it.

wish I knew! I bought 500 of these due to availability. other reports I've heard on them is that they are a harder copper than traditional GK's, and supposed to hold up better.

I'm running them in 308's, fwiw.

TX_Diver

WKR
I got the flu and have been in a blanket fort the last 24 hours so I haven't decided anything.
No fun. I don't reload a whole lot but the last 2 times I had covid and was stuck home I got some solid reloading sessions done in the basement lol. I have a bunch of accubonds and 178 ELD-X so probably gonna pass on these for now but that bullet interested me awhile ago.

Good luck w/ the blanket fort!

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
No fun. I don't reload a whole lot but the last 2 times I had covid and was stuck home I got some solid reloading sessions done in the basement lol. I have a bunch of accubonds and 178 ELD-X so probably gonna pass on these for now but that bullet interested me awhile ago.

Good luck w/ the blanket fort!
We got to blanket level 8; that's a lot of blankets and similar to DefCon 4. Touch and go for a bit.

Dang. $145 for 500 130 grain 6.5 TGKs.... that sure is tempting.
I saw that too. I'd buy those but our rifles don't shoot them well.

We got to blanket level 8; that's a lot of blankets and similar to DefCon 4. Touch and go for a bit.

I saw that too. I'd buy those but our rifles don't shoot them well.
I had a 6.5 Grendel that shot those over LeverEvolution into itty bitty little groups. But they were too hard for the velocity on that Grendel and I watched them pencil through a couple whitetails that took far too long to die after I shot them. I wouldn't use them again under 2700 fps. or so.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I had a 6.5 Grendel that shot those over LeverEvolution into itty bitty little groups. But they were too hard for the velocity on that Grendel and I watched a couple whitetails take far too long to die after I shot them with those. I wouldn't use them under 2700 fps. or so.
Our creedmoors don't shoot much well. Last winter I tried around 20 bullets and ended up with 140vld hunt, 130scirocco, 85 and 124 hammers. I was going to buy a new barrel last weekend but @KickinNDishin got wind of that plan and said NO.