15x Glass

Benjblt

WKR
I have a good tripod and some 10x Lieca's and an old Swaro 20 to 60x80 spotting scope. I want a good high power binocular in the 15 to 20 power range. I'd use it for many things but presently hoping to draw a late October mule deer hunt in Wyoming in open country. My budget is about $1,500 or less.

My question is 3 fold:
1. Do I need to increase my budget to achieve the advantage that a 15x + should have over my 10x Leicas?
2. What would you all suggest as a good value in that price range?
3. I was looking at the 16x ZULU6 and they seem interesting. I'd even thinking about leaving the Leicas behind and the tripod and bringing a handheld range finder. Is the glass so deficient in those or does the stabilization make up for that? How does the glass compare to something else in that price range? The image stabilization aspect really intrigues me though.

I'm also interested in the Zeiss Conquest HDs but they're at that $2,000 mark.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

4th_point

WKR
3. I was looking at the 16x ZULU6 and they seem interesting. I'd even thinking about leaving the Leicas behind and the tripod and bringing a handheld range finder. Is the glass so deficient in those or does the stabilization make up for that? How does the glass compare to something else in that price range? The image stabilization aspect really intrigues me though.
Shameless plug for my 15x Canon for sale :), but I can also speak to the 16x SIG if you have specific questions.

Axlrod

WKR
There is a company that rents high end glass, and sells their 1 or 2 year old stuff. A buddy bought 15x Swaros last fall from them at a good discount. I don't remember the name, but can get it if google fails ya.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a company that rents high end glass, and sells their 1 or 2 year old stuff. A buddy bought 15x Swaros last fall from them at a good discount. I don't remember the name, but can get it if google fails ya.
@Rent Outdoor Gear out of Boise rents and sells new and some used optics

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
I have a good tripod and some 10x Lieca's and an old Swaro 20 to 60x80 spotting scope. I want a good high power binocular in the 15 to 20 power range. I'd use it for many things but presently hoping to draw a late October mule deer hunt in Wyoming in open country. My budget is about $1,500 or less.

My question is 3 fold:
1. Do I need to increase my budget to achieve the advantage that a 15x + should have over my 10x Leicas?
2. What would you all suggest as a good value in that price range?

I'm also interested in the Zeiss Conquest HDs but they're at that $2,000 mark.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk
Look for a SIG ZULU 9 15x56 in the $700 price range you certainly won't be disappointed. SIG lowered their MSRPs in 2023 on their ZULU 9s. For reference the 11x45 ZULU 9s are $799.99 MSRP full regular retail according to SIG USA now brand new.

Blackbird

FNG
I have meoptas and they are pretty great. Have compared them side by side with zeiss and saw not much difference. However I have also used them next to swaros and if I were to do it all over again I’d buy the swaro 15’s.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
The Swaro SLC 15 is the best game finding optic I've ever used. According to several Rokslide members, the latest and greatest Meopta 15 are very close and arguably more robust for less money.
Indeed. Meopta B1 and B1.1 15’s have put through some hard use here in Arizona. Can’t recommend them enough.

TrackerG

FNG
I have extensively looked through them all. The list goes in this order
1.Swaros
2. Swaros
3. Swaros
4. Meoptas (the eye relief sucks)
5.Zeiss (the chromatic aberration on the putter 15% Is very evident)
6. Leicas (even worse chromatic aberration)
7. Leupolds

Save for the Swaros, find a good deal on the Swaros ect.

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I sometimes see older models of Swaro 15s (I think SLCs manufactured between 1991-2010/2013) listed for around $1500, and I'm wondering how those compare to a brand-new Maven B5 or a lightly used Meopta B1.1 at the same price? Or will 10–20 year-old Swaros still be superior?

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
I sometimes see older models of Swaro 15s (I think SLCs manufactured between 1991-2010/2013) listed for around $1500, and I'm wondering how those compare to a brand-new Maven B5 or a lightly used Meopta B1.1 at the same price? Or will 10–20 year-old Swaros still be superior?
Why spend $1500 on older Swarovski when for only $300-$400 more you can get newer ones with better glass? Those older Swaros are comparable to the Meopta B1 plus while the newer ones are clearer.

I have the new SIG ZULU 10s and Maven B5s and to my eyes the SIGs look clearer and they're much cheaper buying brand new if you shop around as cheap as $900 brand spanking new for the 15s. Makes me really wonder how much they're really marked up direct to consumer with no middleman to keep the cost down? Maybe you will see a sale at Midway USA for $600-$700 for these like they did for the ZULU 9s. I just bought two of the exact same models of Vortex Razor UHDs to check for for sample variance and will compare them with my ZULU 10s and B5s to see which of these same Kamakura cousins are actually the clearest.
The Burris Signature HD 2023 improved Japan version 15x56 I recently bought on sale for under $600 brand new from Amazon is another fantastic option while on a very tight budget and are actually comparable to both my way more expensive Leupold BX5 Santiam 15x56s believe it or not.

These seem relevant for the OP: