15x binos or a 50-65mm spotter? what do you prefer and why?

rmarshall

WKR
My hesitation with the compact spotters is their ability to gather enough light at the key time periods, maybe quality glass makes up for that.
Lets hear your thoughts or experience. thanks

Norm555

WKR
What are you trying to accomplish? Most people like 15x power binos when they are actively searching for game (e.g. Coues Deer or Mule Deer in big country). Spotters are usually used for looking at game you've already spotted with binos. At least that's how I use my 15x power binos and 65 mm spotter. I don't like using the spotter for searching for game having to keep one eye closed.

mlgc20

WKR
Agree with Norm, that it depends on what you're trying to accomplish. If you are trophy hunting, or at least being very selective, a spotter is much more important. For me, I just want to find them and see if they're legal. IMO, that's easier to do with 15's.

IMNSHO, having 10x42 euros, 15x56 Swaro's, and an ED 82 spotter. I would chose the 15s unless I was going to go with a quality 77mm or larger spotter along with 10 or 12 binos. Or in short, I do not think you are gaining much of anything over quality 15s compared to a quality spotter under 77 power.

OP
R

rmarshall

WKR
I run 10x43 for spotting game, and my do everything glass thus far, I just want a little more to see what I'm looking at exactly, but I do not want to carry a lot of gear. Hunting mule and elk mostly.

If you are glassing, then use something that allows you to use both eyes. It can be binoculars or something like a BTX.

I've tried to glass with my spotter (STX) but that sucked. Still do not understand how folks can glass through a spotter from before dawn to last legal light. Eye patch?

JakeSCH

WKR
Lol I've literally tried an eye patch and it does help a lot but eye fatigue still happens quickly compared to my 15s / 18s. I can sit behind binos for hours and have spotted elk over 4 miles away with them. Spotter comes in handy if you are judging size / antler class.

I owned 2 leica televid 62 apo spotters with 16-48x eyepieces. I have a set of swaro 15x56 hds that I much prefer over them. I could see just as much detail at distance with the 15s as the spotters. I sold the first one then bought another one and once again sold it. I just could not see keeping a spotter in that class when I own good 15s.
I ended up with a Kowa 884 with the WA eyepiece and never looked back. No more 65 class spotters for me.

fatrascal

WKR
I prefer 10x42 binoculars and a 65mm spotter. And with Kowas new 55mm spotter it gives another option for weight savings. 15's are nice and I used to have a pair but I put the 15s and 10s side by side and I feel that I can spot with 10 power anything I could spot with 15s. Unlike others I do spot with a spotting scope. First I spot with 10x42s on a tripod then move up to the spotter on 25 power then start zooming in and looking farther. There is no way a pair of 10s or 15s can compete with a 60 power zoomed in spotter. Therefore you are covering more bases by glassing near and far. Fatrascal

MtnMuley

WKR
Norm's post was spot on. Now that you've said you basically glass with 10's and are looking to get a better idea of what you've glassed, then I think the spotter is by far your best bet. Especially when you mentioned muleys and elk.

Thoughts on 15x vs. 18x binos? Read an article that really pushed the 18x as a significant step change, but on paper that just does not make sense for me. It's only a 20% increase in magnification which is less than the step change from 8x-10x which I have not found to be hugely dramatic.
I have a pair of great Mavin 15x that work very well. But I've only looked on paper at the 18x.

So I am hoping to hear from folks who have actually used both in the field.

Thanks.

I'm a glass guy... I'm young and pack to much weight in glass with me... 9x45 on my chest. My 15x56 binos go everywhere and most of the time my 77mm spotter. I love my 15x56 and if you like to glass from a tripod I think you will to

If finding game is more important, binos. If making judgments is more important, as big a spotter as you're willing to take.

Broles32

FNG
Binos if you are trying to locate animals, spotting scope for when you found what you’re looking for and want to take a closer look.

AndyB

WKR
15x for me, I don't see any advantage in clarity at distance with the 65 spotter, I can glass all day with the 15x, 20mins with one eye and the spotter and I am done. That 'could' be different with a larger objective spotter.
Both are swaro.