15" or 18" Sawvivor?

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have been looking at these also. I think I will go with the 15" . Heck I have been using those little cheepo hunting hand saws until now that only have an 8" so the 15" should be more than enough.

Why do you guys carry a saw? I can understand if you're base camping, but backpack and bivy hunting I don't see any use to it. I can break down a game animal with just my knife. Unless you're cutting wood for the fire... but then again you can break those sticks.

Mike7

WKR
One can use it to cut off the antlers/skull plate or to help in making an emergency fire/shelter. Can't think of any other reason to have it.

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you guys carry a saw? I can understand if you're base camping, but backpack and bivy hunting I don't see any use to it. I can break down a game animal with just my knife. Unless you're cutting wood for the fire... but then again you can break those sticks.

why pack out the whole head unless you are doing a full mount. I cut the skulll cap with antlers. The saw is way lighter than packing out the head. Also for our tipi we sometimes have to cut trees to make a tirpod to hang the tipi from instead of packing a center pole, once again the saw is lighter than the center pole. Firewood etc.....

why pack out the whole head unless you are doing a full mount. I cut the skulll cap with antlers. The saw is way lighter than packing out the head. Also for our tipi we sometimes have to cut trees to make a tirpod to hang the tipi from instead of packing a center pole, once again the saw is lighter than the center pole. Firewood etc.....

What if you only kill bulls that you shoulder mount? :)