140 Grain Reloads for 7 Mag

260madman

WKR
When I started reloading I went with 120s in the 7RM. I’m just hunting deer and Barnes were the ticket with RL 22. Then I found NBTs and hit just a bit under 3500fps. Both killed well and all exited. On deer the 120s did better than 150 NBTs and 139 SSTs. Less meat loss. 139SSTs back when Heavy Magnum loads were a thing, were a bit brutal on deer. They were Cratersauruses. Huge gaping exits. 120 NBTs hold together well and exit.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
In the 7-08 47.5 grains of Big game.

In the 7mmRM I've just used the RL22 because of having so much available.
Wait so are you running the 140 AB’s in your 7 mag or just the -08? Sorry trying to make sure I’m understanding correctly...

OP
N

nobody

WKR
When I started reloading I went with 120s in the 7RM. I’m just hunting deer and Barnes were the ticket with RL 22. Then I found NBTs and hit just a bit under 3500fps. Both killed well and all exited. On deer the 120s did better than 150 NBTs and 139 SSTs. Less meat loss. 139SSTs back when Heavy Magnum loads were a thing, were a bit brutal on deer. They were Cratersauruses. Huge gaping exits. 120 NBTs hold together well and exit.
How was the accuracy with the BT’s? What powder did you run?

260madman

WKR
RL22

I’d post a pic of the groups but I tossed the target 2 months ago When I was cleaning up my reloading room. You can impress the ROs a bit at 200 yards with the groups. I wouldn’t be lying if I said they were 3/8” consistently. Even loaded with Ramshot Hunter at 3050fps for a reduced load they do the same thing.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
RL22

I’d post a pic of the groups but I tossed the target 2 months ago When I was cleaning up my reloading room. You can impress the ROs a bit at 200 yards with the groups. I wouldn’t be lying if I said they were 3/8” consistently. Even loaded with Ramshot Hunter at 3050fps for a reduced load they do the same thing.
This makes me excited, thanks for the feedback!

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Not a single thing wrong with using 140 grain bullets from a 7mm Magnum although some today will argue otherwise. I had decent accuracy with the IMR350 but truthfully that is all I tried, I didn't even mess around with seating depth or anything complicated, loaded to book COAL and half way between book min and max powder charges from the Nosler load data got me between 1" and 1.25" 5 shot groups at 100 yards for the Nosler 140 Partition and Sierra Prohunter. I don't remember actually chronographing but suspect I was in the 2900 fps area.

Not a 7 mag but I have used the 140gr Accubonds in my 280ai loaded up to 3,100fps. Accuracy with them is great and they've killed everything I've shot with them. I can't speak to their weight retention, but they penetrate great for me and I've yet to get them to blow up. The last elk I shot with them was only 90 yards and I put 3 rounds into him seeing if they'd come apart but none of them did.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
I shot 140 Nosler BTs out of my old ruger 7mm for 20 plus years and they were great. Easily made the velocity numbers youre looking for. My rifle is not the most generally accurate rifle I own, but its always dead on for cold bore shots, which to me is the only one that matters for hunting. It will put 3 into an inch, but the thin barrel starts drifting shots on 5 shot groups.
Have you ever tried other 140’s? Not opposed to the Barnes, just curious!

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I shot 140 Nosler BTs out of my old ruger 7mm for 20 plus years and they were great. Easily made the velocity numbers youre looking for. My rifle is not the most generally accurate rifle I own, but its always dead on for cold bore shots, which to me is the only one that matters for hunting. It will put 3 into an inch, but the thin barrel starts drifting shots on 5 shot groups.
What is your twist rate? I'm assuming an old M77?

OP
N

nobody

WKR
Not a 7 mag but I have used the 140gr Accubonds in my 280ai loaded up to 3,100fps. Accuracy with them is great and they've killed everything I've shot with them. I can't speak to their weight retention, but they penetrate great for me and I've yet to get them to blow up. The last elk I shot with them was only 90 yards and I put 3 rounds into him seeing if they'd come apart but none of them did.
LOVE this. I just gotta get the scope mounted up now and get on to testing! Hoping to use it for elk and mule deer next year.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
What is your twist rate? I'm assuming an old M77?
I honestly don't know, it's a 70's vintage M77, it will shoot up to 175 partitions though. My dad used that bullet to shoot a caribou in alaska, and they shot under an inch as well. That bullet floored the caribou with a double shoulder shot. I think the 7mm is a great choice for anything short of grizzly bear, however that 175 partition would probably do that fine, just wouldn't be my first choice.

wapitibob

WKR
I've used Barnes 140 TSX out of my 7stw for years, 81.5gr rl25 going well over 3000. I shot a few nosler 140 ab's and they shot OK but I didn't spend any time with them.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I've used Barnes 140 TSX out of my 7stw for years, 81.5gr rl25 going well over 3000. I shot a few nosler 140 ab's and they shot OK but I didn't spend any time with them.
When you say they shot ok, are you talking like they grouped at about 1 MOA? Slightly larger? Slightly smaller? Just curious, as I'm not a huge fan of the Barnes projectiles.

OP
N

nobody

WKR
I really appreciate everyone's feedback and responses here! I got my scope mounted up and boresighted the other night, hoping to get to the range on Saturday. I've got 4 different types of factory 140 grain loads to get me rough sighted in and start building up brass and doing barrel break in. I'm really hoping I can get one of them to shoot decent!

That brings up the questions, has anyone run factory 140 grain loads with any type of success? I've squirreled away a variety of stuff, from cheap to expensive: Winchester Super X, PPU SPBT, Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Tip, and Federal Premium w/Nosler Partitions. I tried to get a good variety, but I was definitely limited with what has been available! Anybody run any of these in their 7 Mag with any luck?