14 Day Stone Sheep Gear List - Resident DIY, Solo, Early August

Jimbob

WKR
LEARN TO COUNT RINGS, crazy to go through all this prep and investment for a hunt and then not feel confident counting rings.

You have to find the balance between bringing what you need and what you want. I know I bring more than I need and I am fine with that, it makes the hunt better. Only you can make that final call between the two.

1. I use a 15-45x65mm spotter and counted rings on multiple successful hunts, you don't need an extender but if I had one I'd probably bring it.

2. August in the northern mountains gets cold, A neck gaiter is lightweight and versatile, it goes on every hunt and hike with me. My buddy had puffy pants and wore them almost every day last year in August, I was jealous in my thin hiking pants.

3. August in the mountains gets hot, you NEED a T-shirt

4. Your silex would be a great choice. I use an Eolus and camp above timberline. I have weathered some serious storms where I did not feel very safe but the shelter held. You don't need the HIlleberg but if it helps you sleep at night.

5. Your pad is heavy unless you have trouble sleeping. So many VERY comfortable pads under a pound

6. Ditch the solar panel bring the battery pack

7. Ditch the go pro, unless you like your own personal videos.

8. The reactor pot/stove is HEAVY. My kit is a Toaks 550 ml mug and BRS stove = 3.8 ozs for both. if you are doing 14 days then maybe the heavier more efficient stove is worth it but not if you bring just in case fuel.

9. Clothes are personal, you could ditch the 250 hoody but what do you wear early morning as you head out? I like keeping my rain gear for rain and my puffy for stationary use. I use an Arcteryx Trino SL hooded softshell jacket at 12 ozs, it cuts the wind, breathes well, and handles light precipitation. I could ditch it and use my rain jacket instead.

Last edited:
OP
StopMakingSense
Makes sense, a good night's sleep is worth the weight.

I've been hitting material on sheep aging hard. I'm attending two counts at the Fraser River prior to the hunt, I've been reading Dream Rams of BC and aging every sheep in it, I keep reading literature on it and taking notes, then I have a couple of well-accomplished mentors sending me photos and quizzing me on the aging. Everyone has been so open to sharing knowledge, I've really been appreciative of the community here.

This was a new one that just came out, it's been awesome - https://figshare.com/articles/onlin...methods_for_yearly_horn_increments/19398710/1

Some points on the system, it's honestly the stuff that works for me and within my limits.

I like tarps in certain situations but the Hilleberg gives me peace of mind at night on long trips above timberline. Also, bugs, I can't stand them. I hear it can be ok or really bad. I've bailed on trips due to bugs at night when I sleep only to come back with a netted solution and be fine.

My stove, yep, folks will always say I could save weight there, I'll bring that reactor no matter what I do. It has never skipped a beat during any weather situation. All I do is boil water.

GoPro is coming with me, I like editing hunts after. Still torn on the solar right now, I'll figure out what I feel comfortable with by the trip. I have a few spring bear trips planned along with a bunch of scouting. Trying to see if I can get away with just the panel. I'm very used to 3-5 day trips and bringing a 10-20k and sucking it dry by the end.

It's really just figuring out a mid-layer for me right now. I like the 250 Kiln but it just doesn't do it when it comes to breaking the wind. The 150 is a long sleeve but I wear it like I would a shirt, you just keep cooler when the skin isn't exposed to the sun. The ability to layer my 150, with a mid, to my puffy, to my rain jacket is everything.

I've been hitting material on sheep aging hard. I'm attending two counts at the Fraser River prior to the hunt, I've been reading Dream Rams of BC and aging every sheep in it, I keep reading literature on it and taking notes, then I have a couple of well-accomplished mentors sending me photos and quizzing me on the aging. Everyone has been so open to sharing knowledge, I've really been appreciative of the community here.

This was a new one that just came out, it's been awesome - https://figshare.com/articles/onlin...methods_for_yearly_horn_increments/19398710/1

Some points on the system, it's honestly the stuff that works for me and within my limits.

I like tarps in certain situations but the Hilleberg gives me peace of mind at night on long trips above timberline. Also, bugs, I can't stand them. I hear it can be ok or really bad. I've bailed on trips due to bugs at night when I sleep only to come back with a netted solution and be fine.

My stove, yep, folks will always say I could save weight there, I'll bring that reactor no matter what I do. It has never skipped a beat during any weather situation. All I do is boil water.

GoPro is coming with me, I like editing hunts after. Still torn on the solar right now, I'll figure out what I feel comfortable with by the trip. I have a few spring bear trips planned along with a bunch of scouting. Trying to see if I can get away with just the panel. I'm very used to 3-5 day trips and bringing a 10-20k and sucking it dry by the end.

It's really just figuring out a mid-layer for me right now. I like the 250 Kiln but it just doesn't do it when it comes to breaking the wind. The 150 is a long sleeve but I wear it like I would a shirt, you just keep cooler when the skin isn't exposed to the sun. The ability to layer my 150, with a mid, to my puffy, to my rain jacket is everything.
Here's what's going into my pack for a 14-day solo northern BC sheep hunt, early/mid-August with about 20 kms hike from lake to where I'll be hunting. Everything based on what I packed last year other than a new tent. https://lighterpack.com/r/xxe7cx

Not bad at all. I’d think about the following changes:

Dry bag and pack cover? I’d pick one and save 4.5-5 ounces.

See if you can lighten up that big tripod, might be able to cut as much as 8 ounces. It probably only needs to be tall enough to use seated or kneeling.

Ditch the camera tripod and use your full size tripod if you need one for your iPhone. 2.6 ounces saved.

Are your pants DWR? I personally wouldn’t bring the rain pants. 16 ounces.

How much does your cup weigh? Why not just drink your hot drinks out of the pot? Maybe another 3 ounces.

That would save over 2 lbs. you could also ditch the tarp for another pound. You have a bomber tent. Or go with a lighter tent. Or both.

I’m a minimalist but wouldn’t consider myself “ultralight”.

Not bad at all. I’d think about the following changes:

Dry bag and pack cover? I’d pick one and save 4.5-5 ounces.

See if you can lighten up that big tripod, might be able to cut as much as 8 ounces. It probably only needs to be tall enough to use seated or kneeling.

Ditch the camera tripod and use your full size tripod if you need one for your iPhone. 2.6 ounces saved.

Are your pants DWR? I personally wouldn’t bring the rain pants. 16 ounces.

How much does your cup weigh? Why not just drink your hot drinks out of the pot? Maybe another 3 ounces.

That would save over 2 lbs. you could also ditch the tarp for another pound. You have a bomber tent. Or go with a lighter tent. Or both.

I’m a minimalist but wouldn’t consider myself “ultralight”.
Clothes are in the dry bag inside the pack.

The IPhone tripod is much easier to attach and more versatile than spotter tripod. I'm not concerned about the 2.6 ounces.

I don't know what "DWR" is for the pants. I have found that my HH rainpants over my boxers is great for moving through soaking willow brush or hiking if it's reasonably warm but wet.

The cup weighs about 2 ounces - no concern. I'd rather not burn my lips on a hot metal pot.

Tarp earns it's keep while glassing in an all-day rain or hot sun.

First year with this tent.

Decker9

WKR
Sounds like the shaping of an epic hunt!!

My first ram came from a solo trip. It was the most stressful hunt I’ve been on, and the most rewarding.

Best advice I have, is a good dog with a pack, made a big difference on my trip.

I dont think there’s anyone who can tell 2-3-4 pounds difference in a 50+ lb pack. Don’t stress the ounces.

Good luck!!

Jimbob

WKR

My first ram came from a solo trip. It was the most stressful hunt I’ve been on, and the most rewarding.

Best advice I have, is a good dog with a pack, made a big difference on my trip.

I dont think there’s anyone who can tell 2-3-4 pounds difference in a 50+ lb pack. Don’t stress the ounces.

Good luck!!

Ed,
aren't you such a weight weenie that you even leave the range finder at the truck? ;)

Good luck!!

True, however that 2-4 lbs on top of a 120+ lb pack is an entirely different story. Just something to remember that on the way out is where you really feel any extra weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck!!
Thanks. This will be my second solo effort.

jmannas

FNG

Good luck!!

Decker - I’ve backpacked with my dog, but never during big game outings. He is a fit 40lb dog and in his pack he has all his items (food, water, emergency items, etc.) so I don’t carry any of his weight.

What else do you load your dog up with? I didn’t think I could put much more burden on the dog.

Decker9

WKR
Decker - I’ve backpacked with my dog, but never during big game outings. He is a fit 40lb dog and in his pack he has all his items (food, water, emergency items, etc.) so I don’t carry any of his weight.

What else do you load your dog up with? I didn’t think I could put much more burden on the dog.

It’s the same with us, she will pack her own gear, food/water/treats and dish. She usually sits in the 70-75 lb range in fall, I don’t like to put any more then 10-13 pounds on her on the extended trips. I think it would be pretty easy to sour a dog with big loads

Coming out, she always packs the garbage (non burnable stuff), which is usually a lighter load.

On my sheep hunt, she did pack out 17-18 pounds of sheep meat for me, she was a trooper that day.

OP
StopMakingSense

Good luck!!

Thanks man, can't wait for this one!

OP
StopMakingSense
Jeez, I guess I've been used to a 6.9 R Pad for 10 years now, trying the 3.2 R was a rude awakening. Definitely returning the EtherLight XT Pad, going to grab the Extreme

I also just ordered a Soulo, the Enan wasn't for me then the Niak was within about a lb.

Last edited: