12x42 binoculars

Can you name all of the 12x42 binoculars you can think of. Switching to them and want to research as many as possible.

So far I got:
Maven c1 12x42
Nikon monarch m5 12x42
Old vortex viper 12x42
Swarovski nl pure 12x42

Name anything you can think of. Doesn't matter the price range.

As Doug was suggesting — not that I’m a fan of 12x in a hand-held binocular, but would definitely recommend a 50mm over a 42mm objective. Going under a 4mm exit pupil isn’t a good bet for serious glassing.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ll take that bet. I do some pretty serious glassing. I’ve never had a more perfect binocular than my 12 x 42 NL Pures. Identified clearly the exact desert ram I had been trying to find again for 4 days at almost 2.5 miles with them. I’d put them against any binocular you can carry around your neck.

I’ll take that bet. I do some pretty serious glassing. I’ve never had a more perfect binocular than my 12 x 42 NL Pures. Identified clearly the exact desert ram I had been trying to find again for 4 days at almost 2.5 miles with them. I’d put them against any binocular you can carry around your neck.
Interesting how people see things so differently. I spent a week behind the 12x42 NL pures elk hunting and I thought they were super over rated 🤷🏻‍♂️

Steve - it‘s obvious that you are very satisfied with your 12x42 NL Pures — that‘s great, and I’m very happy for you. However, the # of 12x42 NL Pures up for sale both here and on other websites tell a very different story - especially for a glass so recently available.

hunt1up

WKR
I won a pair of NL 12x42s in a raffle back in December. Up to that point I was using SLC 10x42s. Myself and 5 friends went to TX for an Aoudad hunt in January and we glassed constantly for about a week. I loved the NL 12s both on tripod and free hand. That said, I also have the forehead rest and without it the freehanding wasn't nearly as stable. With the rest they were as stable as anything. We also had some Meopta 15s and EL 12x50s in camp. All three were very pleasant to use but the weight and stature of the NLs, at least for me, was a huge benefit. I can't fine anything about them I don't like. Just my $.02.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Steve - it‘s obvious that you are very satisfied with your 12x42 NL Pures — that‘s great, and I’m very happy for you. However, the # of 12x42 NL Pures up for sale both here and on other websites tell a very different story - especially for a glass so recently available.
I’ve been looking in the classifieds for months and only seen 1 pair of 12x42 NL Pures.

What don’t you like about them? I was high on getting SLC 15s for awhile then I keep hearing the new 12s blow them out of the water. And they say no problem hand holding the 12s.

Regardless there’s good optics for sale all the time.

OP- don’t forget about the 12x ELs, I’ve used them and they are great.

svivian

WKR
I believe the larger field of view on the 12x42 NL pures makes them feel steadier than they actually are. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I have never been able to hold a 12 steady free handed until I used my buddies NL pures. With that said I went with the 10x42 as I prefer an even larger field of view for locating animals.

For reference I have been using 10x42 EL's for the last 6 years and do think the NL pures are better.

I’ve been looking in the classifieds for months and only seen 1 pair of 12x42 NL Pures.
Just to illustrate - here are just a few 12x42 NL Pures offered for sale here on Rokslide - there have been many more if one searches.

Please don’t take my posts in this thread to indicate that I think the NL Pure is not a fine binocular. It certainly is, and one of the best currently available. Considered buying one myself, but just didn’t feel it was worth the cost of upgrading from my SFs. And, the extreme SW advertising blitz and staff endorsements created some extremely high (and sometimes unrealistic) performance expectations. Will I end up eventually buying one = who knows? So, I’m a fan of the NL Pure, just not a fan of the 12x42 configuration as a primary all-around hunting binocular.

Every optics choice is a compromise of features to some degree. So, the best optics choice depends on the environment and conditions the glass is intended to be used in. On a solid tripod in the mountains on a bright, sunny day (all else being equal) a 12x should resolve better than a 10x, but a 15x or 18x 56mm should out-resolve the 12x42. But as a hand-held optic, most will not be able to extract more image detail from the 12x NL than from the 10x NL, and the 10x will offer an easier, more saturated overall view, with greater depth of field. Also, when dipping below a 4mm exit pupil, poor lighting conditions will have a greater effect on image quality. All of this is just simple physics.

My 2 cents.

Just to illustrate - here are just a few 12x42 NL Pures offered for sale here on Rokslide - there have been many more if one searches.

Please don’t take my posts in this thread to indicate that I think the NL Pure is not a fine binocular. It certainly is, and one of the best currently available. Considered buying one myself, but just didn’t feel it was worth the cost of upgrading from my SFs. And, the extreme SW advertising blitz and staff endorsements created some extremely high (and sometimes unrealistic) performance expectations. Will I end up eventually buying one = who knows? So, I’m a fan of the NL Pure, just not a fan of the 12x42 configuration as a primary all-around hunting binocular.

Every optics choice is a compromise of features to some degree. So, the best optics choice depends on the environment and conditions the glass is intended to be used in. On a solid tripod in the mountains on a bright, sunny day (all else being equal) a 12x should resolve better than a 10x, but a 15x or 18x 56mm should out-resolve the 12x42. But as a hand-held optic, most will not be able to extract more image detail from the 12x NL than from the 10x NL, and the 10x will offer an easier, more saturated overall view, with greater depth of field. Also, when dipping below a 4mm exit pupil, poor lighting conditions will have a greater effect on image quality. All of this is just simple physics.

My 2 cents.
I mentioned I spent a week behind them elk hunting. The other set of binos we were using were 15x56 Santiams. There were several instances off a tripod, where we could see whether or not something was an animal with the santiam when we could not tell with the swaros. That was the consensus with 4 different people. Now there is obviousy a weight penalty with the 15x56’s and freehanding them is crazy hard. But I am still rolling with 15’s.

Hoodie

WKR
Something to consider is that in addition to brightness, a large exit pupil makes for easier eye placement. I've been testing some Athlon 15x56 vs Maven B5 18x56 this week. The Maven is likely a hair sharper on-axis (not apples to apples because of the magnification difference). But it is noticeably more difficult to get a good image out of them. If your eyes aren't lined up perfectly things look a little wonky. When you find that sweet spot they're excellent.

I'm sure the people at Swaro have designed their way around this as best as possible, but if the NL was out of my budget I would only consider a 12x50. Maven C series for instance. The C3 12x50 probably has an easier view than the C1 12x42.

The other thing with 12x42 is there aren't really any options in the $1k range. it goes straight from $400 binoculars to the NL. Lots of good 12x50 options in the $1k range.

Something to consider is that in addition to brightness, a large exit pupil makes for easier eye placement. I've been testing some Athlon 15x56 vs Maven B5 18x56 this week. The Maven is likely a hair sharper on-axis (not apples to apples because of the magnification difference). But it is noticeably more difficult to get a good image out of them. If your eyes aren't lined up perfectly things look a little wonky. When you find that sweet spot they're excellent.

I'm sure the people at Swaro have designed their way around this as best as possible, but if the NL was out of my budget I would only consider a 12x50. Maven C series for instance. The C3 12x50 probably has an easier view than the C1 12x42.

The other thing with 12x42 is there aren't really any options in the $1k range. it goes straight from $400 binoculars to the NL. Lots of good 12x50 options in the $1k range.
What would you say is the best 12x50 in that 1k range? Im in the market for some. Maybe 15x I'm undecided rn

Hoodie

WKR
What would you say is the best 12x50 in that 1k range? Im in the market for some. Maybe 15x I'm undecided rn

The two best 12x I've tried are the Meopta Meostar and the Maven B6. I haven't tried the GPO Passion HD or Tract Toric because their eye relief would be tight for me with glasses. The Maven B6 is much lighter and handier, has better eye relief, and is brighter. The Meostar controls CA better (like almost zero CA), and is much heavier but built like a tank. Overall I prefer the Maven.

I wouldn't recommend the Vortex Razor HD and I think the Maven B6 is better overall than the 11x B2.

For 15x56, everyone raves about the Meostar. If the glass is anywhere near as good as the 12x50 I'd agree. The eye relief is too tight for me, so I'm using the Maven B6 18x. I tested the Athlon 15x56 against the Maven and am only keeping the Maven due to the extra 3x making it a better spotter replacement. The Athlon is super impressive for the money.