129gr ABLRs in 6.5 Grendel

Sierracharlie338, would you be willing to PM me your comp load? I understand that if I blow myself up (or injure myself) it’s my fault.

MikeD, I understand the desire for longer range performance but that’s not what we have where I hunt. A 75 yard shot is “reaching right out there in the Adirondack forest. In many years of hunting, and taking quite a few deer, I can only think of one buck that was legitimately beyond 100 yards. The past two year’s bucks were inside 30 yards. One out of a tree and one coming toward me on the game trail I was still hunting on. They get out of sight pretty quick after you pull the trigger.

That’s even more reason to shoot a lighter weight, fast expanding bullet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Guide

WKR
Thanks Jay. What powder are you using? Near max? I’d be interested in your load if you’d be willing to PM it. Thanks.
To be honest with you, I have no idea as it is old factory Alexander Arms loaded ammo from before the Grendel was popular. The velocity tracks at 2375 fps so "slow" over all but super accurate and easy to shoot. We are on our last box (bought a case of the ammo when we found it shot well in the rifle in 2016) and will have to start with a new load using this brass. Both TAC and 8208 have quoted accuracy loads at near this velocity so I'll try them both since I have them both.

Jay

OP
F

fshaw

WKR
To be honest with you, I have no idea as it is old factory Alexander Arms loaded ammo from before the Grendel was popular. The velocity tracks at 2375 fps so "slow" over all but super accurate and easy to shoot. We are on our last box (bought a case of the ammo when we found it shot well in the rifle in 2016) and will have to start with a new load using this brass. Both TAC and 8208 have quoted accuracy loads at near this velocity so I'll try them both since I have them both.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I’m going to order a couple boxes of the 120BTs.

Sierracharlie338, would you be willing to PM me your comp load? I understand that if I blow myself up (or injure myself) it’s my fault.

MikeD, I understand the desire for longer range performance but that’s not what we have where I hunt. A 75 yard shot is “reaching right out there in the Adirondack forest. In many years of hunting, and taking quite a few deer, I can only think of one buck that was legitimately beyond 100 yards. The past two year’s bucks were inside 30 yards. One out of a tree and one coming toward me on the game trail I was still hunting on. They get out of sight pretty quick after you pull the trigger.
I’ll dig it up today and see what I can find for you

120 Nosler BT’s out of a Howa mini for me are 2290fps at 27.3gr of tac and are 2,474fps at 28.0gr of tac. Both at 2.245. 28gr is Nosler book max.

KenLee

WKR
As you might guess, I’ve read it extensively. I hunt in the Adirondacks (densely forested) and shots are close. I like exit wounds if I can get them and the ABLRs seem like the best combination of wound damage (over monos) and penetration. We don’t thpically get to watch animals long enough to wait for a broadside behind the shoulder shot. I cut my own meat and try to stay off the shoulder when possible. I also don’t want to rely on hitting bone to aid expansion. As I said in my original post, I have an accurate load with 123gr ELDMs and can use them if the ABLRs don’t work out. I’ve been trying to get an accurate load with the powders that I have but am seriously considering picking up a pound of AR Comp.
After trying multiple types of factory ammo in my lil grendel ar, now I only use the eld-m on game. Heart/lung or neck/head shots.
I like ttsx for exits when taking newbie kids or ladies hunting, but that's with faster shooting calibers.