ElkNut1

WKR
Not necessary! I assume he's putting you on an active waterhole, elk come in naturally on their own, don't throw a wrench into the mix by putting decoys there, they could make oncoming elk nervous & suspicious. Let them be relaxed & come in naturally.

No need for a bow mounted deke either, it could give you a false sense that you can draw on them anytime just because you think they may feel you're an elk. They can spook fairly easily when faced with any kind of outside movement, make sure you draw when they cannot catch your movement or it's a good chance the gig is up & they will bolt out of there!

That Extreme Predator is a cool deke, I'm not saying it will not ever work but it's not a miracle worker, be smart about drawing your bow at just the right time, cover & wind direction are your friend!

ElkNut/Paul

OP
D

do1122

FNG
Not necessary! I assume he's putting you on an active waterhole, elk come in naturally on their own, don't throw a wrench into the mix by putting decoys there, they could make oncoming elk nervous & suspicious. Let them be relaxed & come in naturally.

No need for a bow mounted deke either, it could give you a false sense that you can draw on them anytime just because you think they may feel you're an elk. They can spook fairly easily when faced with any kind of outside movement, make sure you draw when they cannot catch your movement or it's a good chance the gig is up & they will bolt out of there!

That Extreme Predator is a cool deke, I'm not saying it will not ever work but it's not a miracle worker, be smart about drawing your bow at just the right time, cover & wind direction are your friend!

ElkNut/Paul

Creating suspicion was exactly my concern, thanks for the input.

TJack303

FNG
Ive always considered decoys as a last resort method. It's not something I'd plan on using right away.