Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Meopta Meopro HD

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Leupold BX-4

Votes: 21 43.8%

• Total voters

mww982

WKR
I am starting to get gear together for my first elk hunting trip to Colorado and need binos. I have narrowed it down to 5, which would you buy.

-Maven C.1
-Vortex Viper H.D.
-Meopta Optika HD
-Meopta Meopro HD
-Leupold BX-4

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x42 Binoculars are excellent binoculars, made in Japan and are on sale at the moment for $529.99
  • Absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity – each is ready for a lifetime in the field, in all conditions.
  • Delivers a perfectly round exit pupil with virtually no edge distortion and a crisp, clear image.
  • Our ergonomic design ensures our products are slim, lightweight, and fit well in your hands no matter what size they are.
  • Our fully multi-coated lens system ensures maximum brightness for clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
  • High-definition, calcium-fluoride lenses ensure incredible clarity at all magnification levels.
  • Open bridge, roof prism design is extremely lightweight and ergonomic.
  • Phase coated roof prisms significantly increase resolution for a sharp sight picture from edge-to-edge of the visual field.
  • Features twist-up eyecups and generous eye relief for comfortable extended viewing.

Take a look at the comparison on the link below. Like anything else online, take it with a tequila shooter, a lime wedge, and a grain or two of salt.

Do you have a hard budget constraint or can you bump it up a bit?

I have an older pair of Viper HDs and they're decent. But they are not well suited for prolonged periods of use as they produce too much eye strain. Mine have been relegated to loaners.

EDIT: Do strongly recommend picking up the phone and giving Doug (Post #2) a call.

OP
M

mww982

WKR
Take a look at the comparison on the link below. Like anything else online, take it with a tequila shooter, a lime wedge, and a grain or two of salt.

Do you have a hard budget constraint or can you bump it up a bit?

I have an older pair of Viper HDs and they're decent. But they are not well suited for prolonged periods of use as they produce too much eye strain. Mine have been relegated to loaners.

EDIT: Do strongly recommend picking up the phone and giving Doug (Post #2) a call.
I am trying to stay sub $500.00

I am trying to stay sub $500.00
Call Doug, tell him what you want the binoculars to do (ex: hunt elk in XX but also use for whitetail in YY), and your budget. He can get you hooked up.

I'd also ask him about any demo models.

Hoodie

WKR
Having tried all of those except the Meoptas, I think the Athlon Cronus is far and away better than anything on that list. Especially if you like sharp edges. The review posted above ranked them the best in the $500 range and said it wasn't particularly close.

This thread has comparisons with the Tract Toric and Maven B6, both of which are more expensive:

Full disclosure, I am selling a like new pair in the classifieds for $375. 10x42 are SPF.

Still think the Cronus is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
BX-4 made in Japan; locking diopter for $500. ‘Nuf said. Can find them used for $350 in classifieds.

68Plexi

WKR
I have not looked through the Meoptas, but of the others you listed I would say:

Maven C1 < Vortex Viper < BX-4

I was not impressed with the C1’s at all (B1’s and B2’s whole different story). Vipers are ok but not amazing and the edge clarity bothered me. BX-4’s glass was a big step up from both of those. Much better IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Again, this sale runs through April 10th:
The Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD 10x42 Binoculars are excellent binoculars, made in Japan and are on sale at the moment for $529.99
  • Absolute waterproof and fog proof integrity – each is ready for a lifetime in the field, in all conditions.
  • Delivers a perfectly round exit pupil with virtually no edge distortion and a crisp, clear image.
  • Our ergonomic design ensures our products are slim, lightweight, and fit well in your hands no matter what size they are.
  • Our fully multi-coated lens system ensures maximum brightness for clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
  • High-definition, calcium-fluoride lenses ensure incredible clarity at all magnification levels.
  • Open bridge, roof prism design is extremely lightweight and ergonomic.
  • Phase coated roof prisms significantly increase resolution for a sharp sight picture from edge-to-edge of the visual field.
  • Features twist-up eyecups and generous eye relief for comfortable extended viewing.

Srp

FNG
I am starting to get gear together for my first elk hunting trip to Colorado and need binos. I have narrowed it down to 5, which would you buy.

-Maven C.1
-Vortex Viper H.D.
-Meopta Optika HD
-Meopta Meopro HD
-Leupold BX-4
I would go with the Leupold BX-4s. If you keep hunting out west you will likely eventually upgrade the binos. I started out with cheap nikons, and eventually ended up with Swaros. The nice thing is that binos will hold a fair amount of their value. It is easier to justify incremental upgrades then to jump in at $2K. :)

OP
M

mww982

WKR
I actually ended up not going with any of the choices that I had listed. I was able to find a pretty good deal on a pair of Steiner Predator 10x42's and went with those for just under $500.00.

MikeJ1970

FNG
I actually ended up not going with any of the choices that I had listed. I was able to find a pretty good deal on a pair of Steiner Predator 10x42's and went with those for just under $500.00.
How do you like the Predator's? I am considering these and can't find much info on them.

Thanks,

Mike J

OP
M

mww982

WKR
How do you like the Predator's? I am considering these and can't find much info on them.

Thanks,

Mike J

Man I am the worst person to ask this as I don't have a lot of experience with glass. They seem good to me for what I use them for.

MikeJ1970

FNG
Man I am the worst person to ask this as I don't have a lot of experience with glass. They seem good to me for what I use them for.

Yeah, I have zero experience using binos so I have no idea what I’m looking for. I’ve looked at everything in the $400-500 range that are offered locally and I think I would be happy with any of them. I just got back from Scheels and tested the Sig Zulu 5 against the Vortex Viper and Vortex Rage. All 3 looked good. I think the Zulu 5 and the Rage were a little clearer than the Viper. The Zulu 5 has the double hinge design like the Leupold BX-4 so they were noticeably lighter than the two Vortex models.

I don’t think anyone close to me sells Steiner so if I want to try the Predators I’ll have to order them and send them back.