10x42 Binoculars for a new hunter

pc3

WKR
I was in the same price bracket as your self and finished up with Meopta 10x42's at the time $800+ cheaper than slc's I looked at as well here in Oz...and I couldn't tell the difference.

The Meopta's are also apparently very ruggedly built.

Kentivan

FNG
Last season I hunted with my neighbor in rough terrain and optics were very important to us. We were very lucky that we had two binoculars with a range finder for two of us - https://tacticsfaq.com/nikon-laserforce-vs-vortex-fury/. I can tell you for sure that both of these binoculars did not let us down and we were satisfied with both. So I can highly recommend you these reliable devices

Rich M

WKR
What are you wanting to do? Just see animals in the distance or are you wanting to calculate inches of antler?

So, if you are just wanting to see if there is a herd of caribou on the next mountain, a pair of V Diamondbacks will do it and not break the bank. I'm not real big on binoculars for thick cover.

Seriously tho - if you can, go try a bunch of binoculars, you'll be surprised at what makes a $500 diff between some and your eyes will like one or two pairs better than all the rest. Buying a pair off someone else's recommendations may or may not be a good idea.

I would go cheaper on the binoculars and put a better rifle scope on your gun tho. Can live without the binoculars in many instances, not the scope - you want rugged and reliable.

OP
emarr

emarr

FNG
What are you wanting to do? Just see animals in the distance or are you wanting to calculate inches of antler?

So, if you are just wanting to see if there is a herd of caribou on the next mountain, a pair of V Diamondbacks will do it and not break the bank. I'm not real big on binoculars for thick cover.

Seriously tho - if you can, go try a bunch of binoculars, you'll be surprised at what makes a $500 diff between some and your eyes will like one or two pairs better than all the rest. Buying a pair off someone else's recommendations may or may not be a good idea.

I would go cheaper on the binoculars and put a better rifle scope on your gun tho. Can live without the binoculars in many instances, not the scope - you want rugged and reliable.
I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

tony

WKR
Just ordered a set of Kowa BD 2 10x42 from Doug at cameraland, on sale right now.
Talked at length with Neil about what I want to do with them and price range. I said $400.00, even though I could spend a lot more. If I hunt, its whitetails in Ohio / WV. These will see more daily use than hunting.
Neil is a riot!

OP
emarr

emarr

FNG
I talked to Doug at Camera Land. As of now the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides are at the top of my list. I'm still going to think about it for a few days. I appreciate all of the input.

Agross

WKR
There is a great deal on a pair of maven c1’s in the classifieds right now ($300). I much preferred those over the bx4’s.

I talked to Doug at Camera Land. As of now the Leupold BX-4 Pro Guides are at the top of my list. I'm still going to think about it for a few days. I appreciate all of the input.
At the top end of your budget, you should be able to get the kowa genesis 10.5x44… also from cameraland, that’s my vote, and just don’t think you can do better under 1k$…. Or 2k for that matter unless you spend that 2k on used glass.

Those genesis are the most impressive binos I have ever used considering the price new… for the niche I currently have NL pures, so my wife gets my kowas, which are a noticeable upgrade from the slc’s she stole from me… those kowas are legit for the price and I have compared them side by side with a lot of binos on a tripod, and they continue to impress me for 1k$ binos… the 44mm objectives may add to the effect, but regardless, they are fun to sit behind

Outwest

WKR
Good deal. I would take these few days to think about the following...

1. Do you eventually want to upgrade to alpha level glass? If so, consider holding off until you can find a deal on used or save up to buy new. It will save you a lot of money in the long run as many of us can attest to.

2. How many days per year (being honest) will you spend behind those binoculars? If its more than a good handful, I would save for a little while longer and upgrade to something like a leica trinovid, zeiss conquest or meopta meostar if you arent going to go the alpha route (2-3k). Each can be found for around 1k or a little less in some cases and IMO are the most top tier "feeling" mid level binos. I have no experience with the Kowa Genesis or the Tract but have heard good things.

Best of luck to you, welcome to rokslide and the beginning of a forum full of like-minded addicts enabling you at every turn.

OP
emarr

emarr

FNG
Good deal. I would take these few days to think about the following...

1. Do you eventually want to upgrade to alpha level glass? If so, consider holding off until you can find a deal on used or save up to buy new. It will save you a lot of money in the long run as many of us can attest to.

2. How many days per year (being honest) will you spend behind those binoculars? If its more than a good handful, I would save for a little while longer and upgrade to something like a leica trinovid, zeiss conquest or meopta meostar if you arent going to go the alpha route (2-3k). Each can be found for around 1k or a little less in some cases and IMO are the most top tier "feeling" mid level binos. I have no experience with the Kowa Genesis or the Tract but have heard good things.

Best of luck to you, welcome to rokslide and the beginning of a forum full of like-minded addicts enabling you at every turn.
Thank you for the response and helpful information. Yes, so many variables to take into consideration. I do not see myself upgrading to alpha glass anytime soon. I began my search thinking the Vortex Diamondback HD's is where I would start. Then I began researching and talking to people with much more knowledge than myself. I am now comfortable with options in the $500 range strongly considering options closer to $1000. Such a tough decision.

Outwest

WKR
Thank you for the response and helpful information. Yes, so many variables to take into consideration. I do not see myself upgrading to alpha glass anytime soon. I began my search thinking the Vortex Diamondback HD's is where I would start. Then I began researching and talking to people with much more knowledge than myself. I am now comfortable with options in the $500 range strongly considering options closer to $1000. Such a tough decision.
Understood. It is a tough decision but best advice I've heard is simple but absolute. Buy the best glass you can afford and go use it. If you can afford 1k, spend 1k and rest easy knowing you bought quality and wont need to upgrade anytime soon.

Everyone I know who started out buying brand x (<$500) because they were 'just as good' or they 'couldn't tell a difference' is either hunting no more than 1-2 days per year or now has top of the line glass and kick themselves for starting with entry-level.

IMO entry level is for people who don't know if they even like hunting yet or people who really couldn't care less. You sound like neither.

MooreAK

FNG
Classified Approved
If you decide to go with Maven. I just listed a pair of Maven B1s in the classifieds that might be in your price range. Price obo. Just upgraded to the B1.2. Pretty much new.

OP
emarr

emarr

FNG
Update: Thank you for the responses, I appreciate all of the input and suggestions. After much research and discussion I now have a much better understanding of binoculars in general and have numerous makes and models I'm considering. I am flying to Anchorage in a couple of weeks and before making such a large investment I would like the opportunity to actually look through some glass before deciding.

Update: Thank you for the responses, I appreciate all of the input and suggestions. After much research and discussion I now have a much better understanding of binoculars in general and have numerous makes and models I'm considering. I am flying to Anchorage in a couple of weeks and before making such a large investment I would like the opportunity to actually look through some glass before deciding.
Binos are VERY subjective.

I think these will be a great choice. The BX-4 or the predecessor the Pinnacles have suited me well for many years :)