10x SWFA for hunting?

gostovp

WKR
SWFA doesn’t have the 6x in stock, and I called them and they don’t have an expected in stock date. For my Tikka T3 RoughTech in 7mm Mag, is the 10x a bad choice? Expected use cases are Mule deer, elk and field edge / open country whitetail. Under 40 yard shots aren’t expected but anything is possible… is a fixed 10x a stupid idea?

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
When I was about 17, 30 years ago, in Florida I was in a tripod stand and was watching some does though my scope at 10x, out of the corner of my eye I saw a buck crossing right under the stand. All I saw was a flash of hair and antler in my scope as he jumped when I tried to get on him.

I know you aren’t supposed to glass with your scope. Less of an issue out west where you are spotting with binos and then moving in, but there could still be times when a surprise shot comes up and the 10x won’t be great

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
For 99.5% of open country hunting I don’t know why it wouldn’t work great.

Out in the sage brush country we got to within 300 yards of a buck, about the time it spooked and he ran right at us. Blowing a cow elk call stopped him at 75 yards, but he was more scared of whatever was behind him than us and he passed within 5 yards going 100 mph. My ex wife short stroked her 7 mag and didn’t make it go bang, but she would have had him otherwise. With a 10x that kind of shot becomes a lot harder.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Yeah those scenarios where a deer is right on top of you would not be good. I have other rifles for my WI woods hunting (30-30 lever with a peep for the really thick stuff, and a REM 7600 pump in 30-06 that has a low power Leupold variable on it)

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Oh and a bolt action Howa Mini action in 7.62x39 which is a kick ass sub 150 yard deer rifle … stupid accurate to

TxxAgg

WKR
It can be done just not ideal. I'd be more worried about spotting my shot than a close up shot.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
SWFA doesn’t have the 6x in stock, and I called them and they don’t have an expected in stock date. For my Tikka T3 RoughTech in 7mm Mag, is the 10x a bad choice? Expected use cases are Mule deer, elk and field edge / open country whitetail. Under 40 yard shots aren’t expected but anything is possible… is a fixed 10x a stupid idea?

For that use it will work fine.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I shoot everything on at least 10x regardless of if it’s 200 yards or 50 yards. I’ve never had any issues or missed an opportunity because of too much magnification.

TaperPin

WKR
Yeah those scenarios where a deer is right on top of you would not be good. I have other rifles for my WI woods hunting (30-30 lever with a peep for the really thick stuff, and a REM 7600 pump in 30-06 that has a low power Leupold variable on it)
To be honest, I like a 6x for most western hunting, but a 10x on my wish list to replace a 3x9 backup, and as a primary antelope/varmint/plinking scope. A fixed scope sure has a lot fewer parts to go bad.

Geewhiz

WKR
One of my rifles is fitted with a fixed 16x swfa. I never really rifle hunt much brush or thick timber so it works just fine for my purpose. 🤷‍♂️

Axlrod

WKR
Get the 10x and backorder the 6x. If you don't end up liking the 10x you can swap them, and sell the 10x. or put it on a varmint gun.
When I first heard about the SWFA's 10 or so years ago, I ordered 1 of each 6x,10x,12x,16x, & 20x on their black friday deal. The 2 high power ones are nearly useless for hunting, so I use them to do load development and such. They work fine from a bench, and preferably with some sunshine.

OP
gostovp

gostovp

WKR
Get the 10x and backorder the 6x. If you don't end up liking the 10x you can swap them, and sell the 10x. or put it on a varmint gun.
When I first heard about the SWFA's 10 or so years ago, I ordered 1 of each 6x,10x,12x,16x, & 20x on their black friday deal. The 2 high power ones are nearly useless for hunting, so I use them to do load development and such. They work fine from a bench, and preferably with some sunshine.
That sounds like a plan

Personally, I'd pick something else. I've had too many weird things happen hunting deer and elk pre and post first shot. I've also had bears come to camp.

As long as the action is fairly slow or the animal remains outside about 100 yards I guess it would be okay.

I set my buddy up with a fixed 10 for eastern whitetail last year and he shot his personal best iirc under 100 yards.

No issues. A 6x fits better but it’s doable

Edit* just texted him, under 40 yards

TaperPin

WKR
How good was the Black Friday sale?