106 TAP for hunting?

eoperator

WKR
Did you have to sort them? If so based on what? Maybe I’m just lazy but I never sorted them and they all shot just fine. Granted they weren’t used for matches or big game
I bought 1k 77tmk 2nds 1/3 of them had missing tips or deformed meplant, length and weight was very inconsistent. The rest of them shot very poorly, saving a few bucks in this case was definitely was not worth it

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought 1k 77tmk 2nds 1/3 of them had missing tips or deformed meplant, length and weight was very inconsistent. The rest of them shot very poorly, saving a few bucks in this case was definitely was not worth it
Yeesh, that’s a mess.

FWIW, I only looked at one box quickly and just noticed that they were a white translucent color.

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
That sucks. So far, I've had pretty good luck buying seconds. I bought some 77tmk seconds from Powder Valley and only a few had deformed or missing tips, shot fine.

I found that interesting too because on the 105 Amax box it says a 9 twist or faster.
Yes, it’s a considerably more sleek bullet. It’s longer than the 108 and 109 ELDm and 108 Berger elite hunter. Applied ballistics gave it basically the same BC as the 109 ELDm which is a fair bit higher than the 108.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yes, it’s a considerably more sleek bullet. It’s longer than the 108 and 109 ELDm and 108 Berger elite hunter. Applied ballistics gave it basically the same BC as the 109 ELDm which is a fair bit higher than the 108.
That’s what like about it, the bullet has a higher BC than heavier ones, but is just a bit lighter. All that makes the bullet longer so it takes a higher twist barrel.

That’s what like about it, the bullet has a higher BC than heavier ones, but is just a bit lighter. All that makes the bullet longer so it takes a higher twist barrel.
You and me both. Shorter bearing surface should help with velocity too. It’s the most enticing (on paper) 6mm hunting bullet for creedmoor and smaller cases IMO. Save maybe the 106 ATip (DOD bullet) which has an even higher BC IIRC but might suffer from the inconsistent terminal performance that’s been reported on Atips.

If they are more erratic like other aggressive BC bullets like the 110 SMK and the nosler RDFs are reported to be they’ll be less exciting.

Wrench

WKR
Add me to the 1k club. I shoot the 105/103 in my kids 10tw howa to 600 with good (moa ish) accuracy at 3k asl.

That is also interesting to me since this bullet was put in a 6ARC case. I’m no expert on the ARC but with it being a shorter case I’m surprised they went with a longer projectile. That being said the upgrade in ballistics is hard to argue with. I’m looking forward to testing these.

eoperator

WKR
I picked some blems up to try too, they came with translucent white tips, not sure if that’s what TAP ammo looks like or if it’s a different bullet all together.
These were from Midway? Would you post a pic or 2 please?

That is also interesting to me since this bullet was put in a 6ARC case. I’m no expert on the ARC but with it being a shorter case I’m surprised they went with a longer projectile. That being said the upgrade in ballistics is hard to argue with. I’m looking forward to testing these.

Yeah, I’m not really familiar with how much it pushes up against the coal constraints in an ARC either. Assuming much of the added length is in a longer nose, that means by the time the bullet is meeting resistance from the lands, there would be more volume behind the bullet in the chamber than a bullet with more weight from base to ogive and thus reduced pressure. My understanding is that metric can be a bigger contributor to pressure levels than volume in case with bullet seated prior to the primer lighting and bullet releasing.

Sadler

WKR
Same experience here although I never checked weight but rest assured, they’ll still killIMG_2814.jpeg

sndmn11

WKR
The barrel is I ordered was on a whim with @Stockys sale; a 1:8 26" benchmark in stock. I did see the ask on this bullet of a 7.5 twist, but figure 5k-12k altitude will help and the velocity of the creed vs ARC might just maybe as well.

Last edited:

khuber84

WKR
Are these the same 106 atips that powder valley was selling 5 months ago? They were a DOD overrun for 6arc ammo. They fly very well out my 7.25tw 6br, g7 of around 0.283-0.285. They def need sorted though, as base to ogive seems to be of two distinct seperate ranges.

Are these the same 106 atips that powder valley was selling 5 months ago? They were a DOD overrun for 6arc ammo. They fly very well out my 7.25tw 6br, g7 of around 0.283-0.285. They def need sorted though, as base to ogive seems to be of two distinct seperate ranges.
No, the DOD bullet (ATIP) and the TAP (polymer tip) are 2 different bullets.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, I’m not really familiar with how much it pushes up against the coal constraints in an ARC either. Assuming much of the added length is in a longer nose, that means by the time the bullet is meeting resistance from the lands, there would be more volume behind the bullet in the chamber than a bullet with more weight from base to ogive and thus reduced pressure. My understanding is that metric can be a bigger contributor to pressure levels than volume in case with bullet seated prior to the primer lighting and bullet releasing.
Makes sense. I think it’s why they probably dropped a few grains so they could keep the nose long and still fit in a magazine. I wonder the difference in bearing surface.

Makes sense. I think it’s why they probably dropped a few grains so they could keep the nose long and still fit in a magazine. I wonder the difference in bearing surface.

Just to clarify, my post wasn’t intended to assume that was their design intention, just thinking out loud on a possible upside of that bullet in the ARC case.