10 REASONS WHY YOU’RE NOT FINDING MORE SHEDS

nphunter

WKR
Taking too many people that are beating you to them! My wife and boys all have longer legs than me and seem to always beat me to the good ones.

Honestly one of the biggest issues for me is not taking the time to actually get out and go. Also not taking time to keep tabs prior to them dropping. We do well when we go but only get out a few days each spring.

137736C8-6175-4D92-891D-53AC71EBB687.jpeg
F3002409-E975-493A-8234-1D1E1D509B2D.jpeg
6C6D63AA-2DE5-48DB-8730-79D3C4268058.jpeg
911C508D-354F-424A-8A10-C35A95BF100A.jpeg
78318A5D-1A0C-45CF-B8B0-E6C39BEEA0E0.jpeg
EE761D79-69F9-4A6F-B5D3-7C302F0BB56B.jpeg

OP
skregear

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
I will add think like an elk or deer and where would they go far removed to survive Mother Nature and predators to make it to greenup🤙 eat live and breath them and you will find them whether dropped or walking🤙I see them in my sleep😂
Impressive

CAB

FNG
I found a spot that year after year I would find sheds. Found it during turkey huntings season after the morning hunt for turkeys I always make a point to explore new areas(so why not shed hunt at the same time?)

1a. You are waiting until you won’t be harassing winter animals and the legal shed season is in, and all the other “hikers” have already picked them up.

Interesting topic. I believe it is recommended that you don't shed hunt until May so the animals are not bothered during their weakened state. Which makes a lot of sense. Do most people wait or do you think due to the rise in popularity of shed hunting, the animals are getting pushed around way sooner?
I'm so glad to hear that I'm not alone in my reservations about shed hunting!

JS1622

FNG
Decent list, my son found a dead head one year that was a 160 inch buck. Simply, he was paying attention and saw the tip of an antler under a bunch of grass.

TheTone

WKR
2 a.

You live in an area with lots of unemployed or “disabled” people that shed hunt constantly

10. You’re looking straight ahead and not scanning from side to side. You’re not looking behind you every once in a while.

9. You’re looking at your cell phone, on Facebook, Instagram, etc. instead of looking around for antlers.

8. You’re looking in places where there are no deer during shedding time.

7. You’re walking too fast.

6. You’re walking an area with a friend and more worried about where they are and what they’re finding than paying attention to your surroundings.

5. You’re searching for bedding areas too early in the season, pushing the Bucks off of the property.

4. You’re not walking enough. You’re not covering enough area. The average mileage per one antler in the midwest is 5 miles.

3. You’re looking for a whole antler, while you need to be looking for antler shapes, “pieces” or “points” of tines, the arch of a Tines Down Antler. Anything to tip you off to the presence of an antler.

2. You’ve been beaten to the good spot. Someone else has watched the deer and figured out when they shed. They beat you to the antlers that were surely there.

1. And last but not least the number one reason why you’re not finding antlers are you are in your recliner or on the couch.

Does anyone want to add to this list?
i like the looking at your cell phone one

Jbenson

Lil-Rokslider
Reason #1: you're not looking in the areas that they are in when they drop antlers 🤣

jrdnschl

FNG
I have found lots of bones and skulls, but no sheds yet. Looking forward to getting out more this spring to see what I can find.

10. You’re looking straight ahead and not scanning from side to side. You’re not looking behind you every once in a while.

9. You’re looking at your cell phone, on Facebook, Instagram, etc. instead of looking around for antlers.

8. You’re looking in places where there are no deer during shedding time.

7. You’re walking too fast.

6. You’re walking an area with a friend and more worried about where they are and what they’re finding than paying attention to your surroundings.

5. You’re searching for bedding areas too early in the season, pushing the Bucks off of the property.

4. You’re not walking enough. You’re not covering enough area. The average mileage per one antler in the midwest is 5 miles.

3. You’re looking for a whole antler, while you need to be looking for antler shapes, “pieces” or “points” of tines, the arch of a Tines Down Antler. Anything to tip you off to the presence of an antler.

2. You’ve been beaten to the good spot. Someone else has watched the deer and figured out when they shed. They beat you to the antlers that were surely there.

1. And last but not least the number one reason why you’re not finding antlers are you are in your recliner or on the couch.

Does anyone want to add to this list?