10 post rule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHNC

WKR
I think I read somewhere you must be at 500 posts in order to post a unit number in your title or anywhere in a thread. I could be wrong tho. :)

76lelv.jpg

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
You must wait 360 seconds between posting posts.

I had posts in feedback section deleted, so I thought maybe it was a subject you were not allowed to talk about, because it is such a unique rule. So emailed the site, and they never answered. I hit 10 posts and still had 6 minute timer between posts. Then yesterday, the timer went away.

Not sure how I can be any clearer than that.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
You must wait 360 seconds between posting posts.

I had posts in feedback section deleted, so I thought maybe it was a subject you were not allowed to talk about, because it is such a unique rule. So emailed the site, and they never answered. I hit 10 posts and still had 6 minute timer between posts. Then yesterday, the timer went away.

Not sure how I can be any clearer than that.
Odd, never had that and never heard of it on this site

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Odd, never had that and never heard of it on this site
I thought maybe you had to have 10 posts, which is weird. But I saw the rule about 10 posts for classifieds. I tried to start thread asking about in feedback section, but I couldn't start a thread.

I hit 10 posts but still had the 360 second timer. Then it went away yesterday

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That may all be true. but why will no one answer if the 6 minute timer goes away? it is unique to this site. So I am curious. I am starting to think it doesn't and people are afraid to say anything. Which is not good.

Now the 6 minute timer is gone.

OK, I got your answer.

1) 6 minute timer is on until member gets PM privileges (10 posts AND 1 week), or if someone answers the post within the 6 minutes. It's bot prevention. Keeps the Russian hack from blowing up the site with a million dildo ads; also helps keep the unsavory from trying to scam you out of your binoculars on the classifieds

2) If your post got deleted it was probably in a redundant "why the 10 post rule" threads that pop up like acne around here. as we're taking those down constantly because that questions been answered for years. We weren't avoiding anything, just have a huge site to run

All of this is to protect you guys and the site.

There you go! And good question btw.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
OK, I got your answer.

1) 6 minute timer is on until member gets PM privileges (10 posts AND 1 week), or if someone answers the post within the 6 minutes. It's bot prevention. Keeps the Russian hack from blowing up the site with a million dildo ads; also helps keep the unsavory from trying to scam you out of your binoculars on the classifieds

2) If your post got deleted it was probably in a redundant "why the 10 post rule" threads that pop up like acne around here. as we're taking those down constantly because that questions been answered for years. We weren't avoiding anything, just have a huge site to run

All of this is to protect you guys and the site.

There you go! And good question btw.
If it was so common, I would think people would know what I was talking about. Also if it was mentioned any where I didn't see it. All I say was PM and classifieds.

But the time it took a mod to delete my post, I would think they could just answer the question or PM. I never got a reply to email either.

Maybe a sticky, because I have never heard of site doing this. 6 minutes is a long time. I would go do some dishes and come back.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it was so common, I would think people would know what I was talking about. Also if it was mentioned any where I didn't see it. All I say was PM and classifieds.

But the time it took a mod to delete my post, I would think they could just answer the question or PM. I never got a reply to email either.

Maybe a sticky, because I have never heard of site doing this. 6 minutes is a long time. I would go do some dishes and come back.
You should be way more thankful of that loooong 6 minutes timer as it's the invisible barrier providing valuable bot protection.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

the "why the 10 post rule" question is common, not the "why 6 minute rule". I didn't even remember it was out there.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved

I think most people don't try to hammer out a bunch of replies. I take more than 6 minutes reading between posts. Sometimes I spend 30 minutes or more just to writing a post.
You should be way more thankful of that loooong 6 minutes timer as it's the invisible barrier providing valuable bot protection.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Is the 6 minutes only on the same thread? From Robby's description I get the impression that it is. But, I find it hard to believe anyone would post to the same thread without someone else replying to it in less than 6 minutes.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
You seem to be the only one here that knows about it. I had 11th posts and same issue.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I think most people don't try to hammer out a bunch of replies. I take more than 6 minutes reading between posts. Sometimes I spend 30 minutes or more just to writing a post.

Is the 6 minutes only on the same thread? From Robby's description I get the impression that it is. But, I find it hard to believe anyone would post to the same thread without someone else replying to it in less than 6 minutes.
Set a 6 minute timer I don't think you realize how long 6 minutes is.

You can read a few pages, reply, and still have minutes on the clock. You can't go to another thread, if you want to post. So I went and did some dishes, messed around in garage.

6 minutes is longer than you think I suspect.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Set a 6 minute timer I don't think you realize how long 6 minutes is.

You can read a few pages, reply, and still have minutes on the clock. You can't go to another thread, if you want to post. So I went and did some dishes, messed around in garage.

6 minutes is longer than you think I suspect.
I suspect not. Example, Robby (who owns the site) explained in his post why you would still have the timer after getting 10 posts, yet you post
You seem to be the only one here that knows about it. I had 11th posts and same issue.

Slow down and stop speed reading is my advice. You can also reply to multiple people in one post to avoid posting back to back. It is a forum, not Twitter.

It is also a good practice to take advantage of the lag in response allowed by this modality, write what you want, then think on it for a few minutes before hitting post.

For me, I should proof read for typos, but fail at my own advice there and only consider content most of the time.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I suspect not. Example, Robby (who owns the site) explained in his post why you would still have the timer after getting 10 posts, yet you post

Slow down and stop speed reading is my advice. You can also reply to multiple people in one post to avoid posting back to back. It is a forum, not Twitter.

It is also a good practice to take advantage of the lag in response allowed by this modality, write what you want, then think on it for a few minutes before hitting post.

For me, I should proof read for typos, but fail at my own advice there and only consider content most of the time.
I don't have twitter. But its a forum, which to me the vary nature is to interact. Other wise you might as well lurk and not sign up.

Yes I know how to do multiple posts. But sometimes people are wrting while you are writing, or sometimes you just see something interesting to reply to. I guess who cares. Some times I also think multiple post stand out better if the subjects changes. Not an issue with quoting people.

But I have been on long threads, where I replied on first or second page. Then when I get to the 5th or 6th page see something interesting. Again wo cares?

As for sitting and pondering for a few minutes, I don't have that much life left. I'll let my editor do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.