1 state to hunt

OP
M
Not off the subject actually... do you hunt public or private at home for deer? How big are your “best deer hunting around” deer? Maybe we can help each other. I really need to find somewhere outside of Pa to hunt whitetails. It’s much easier to kill bulls in Wyoming or Montana than a half decent buck here.

I hunt almost entirely private land here in Iowa, which I didn't realize how lucky I was until I traveled to hunt. PM me and we can share details, I may be interested in helping each other out.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado OTC for the win.
Hopefully this won't be an option for long. More and more units are moving to draw only. Also, Colorado applications from non-residents is exploding. Another 40,000 more applications (all species) this season. 10,000 more for just Elk.

Swede

WKR
Since you want to hunt every 4-5 years, I would think you could put in for points in any one of several States and get a good unit to hunt. Oregon has some units like that, and I believe Idaho does too. With New Mexico you never know if or when you will be drawn. In Oregon you can be sure by applying for just a point when you were just wanting to add on one more. I am no expert on any State draw especially as it applies to nonresidents, but refer to Oregon as I am more familiar with that State than any other. In Oregon I think you are better off if you apply for those units that take 4-5 years to draw than those that take 15-20 years. That is just too long and the 4-5 years units are going to be able to give you a respectable (10%-20%) chance at a branch antlered bull.

colorado for sure. You can’t swing a dead cat without hitting two elk in Colorado. Colorado has so many elk if you get out of your truck and just fire a round in the air you have a better chance of hitting an elk than dirt. Fact.

So true, but I think he's talking archery hunting not rifle. Just be careful with those heavy FOC arrows and broadheads or you'll end up killing 2 or 3 elk with one shot. :rolleyes:

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider
Since you want to hunt every 4-5 years, I would think you could put in for points in any one of several States and get a good unit to hunt. Oregon has some units like that, and I believe Idaho does too. With New Mexico you never know if or when you will be drawn. In Oregon you can be sure by applying for just a point when you were just wanting to add on one more. I am no expert on any State draw especially as it applies to nonresidents, but refer to Oregon as I am more familiar with that State than any other. In Oregon I think you are better off if you apply for those units that take 4-5 years to draw than those that take 15-20 years. That is just too long and the 4-5 years units are going to be able to give you a respectable (10%-20%) chance at a branch antlered bull.

Oregon sound horrible for elk hunting. 10% chance. Ouch. The more I learn about elk hunting the more I learn that we are spoiled in AZ for quality and opportunity.