1.6x Extender on Kowa 66a

Tahoe1305

WKR
Has anyone had a chance to try the extender on the new 66a Kowa?

On some other spotters it appears value is minimal because light and resolution get poor at higher zoom.

But the glass on the new Kowa is impressive. Curious if it adds value.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
That’s a great question. None in mind yet.

The thought was the optics on the 66 appear above extremely good. Curious if the extender could make it capable of resolving as much as the bigger spotters in good light.

Looking for a reason not to need a big spotter. Again I’m not concerned about light gathering with it or glassing in first and last hour of the day.

dapesche

WKR
That’s a great question. None in mind yet.

The thought was the optics on the 66 appear above extremely good. Curious if the extender could make it capable of resolving as much as the bigger spotters in good light.

Looking for a reason not to need a big spotter. Again I’m not concerned about light gathering with it or glassing in first and last hour of the day.

You made the correct point..'in good light'.

that extender would be fine is marginal light for deer and elk. If you're trying to age and sex a billie or count annuli on a sheep, then you'll really want a bigger objective.

I have the 883. Love it. Have the extender. Works great. I have though about the new 66a, but I'd be spending thousands of dollars to save a pound of weight and reduce bulk. not really necessary.

good luck spending your money. If you're stuck on weight and size, then you're in between the 66a and the 773.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Already have the 66a. Just wondering if it adds value. Will probably give it a try.

jb_358

FNG
Already have the 66a. Just wondering if it adds value. Will probably give it a try.
I would be curious to know too... especially if someone has both the 66a and 773 to compare at 96x at the same time. I'd be afraid the 66a would show up too dark.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
A
I would be curious to know too... especially if someone has both the 66a and 773 to compare at 96x at the same time. I'd be afraid the 66a would show up too dark.
About to “rent” one on Amazon and see for the 66.

sndmn11

WKR
How the heck can it suck? Please elaborate.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
It's a nut kick to resolution and that results in having the soul function if looking at things with full magnification that you don't need to see clearly. Without it in you can resolve better at any magnification than with it in and at the lowest magnification. It is neat at the gun range, and inside a few hundred yards in good light.

dapesche

WKR
Interesting.

We used it on our Aug 2023 stone sheep hunt and it was incredibly useful. Would never hunt without one now.

I was able to see the 2nd annuli on a broomed ram from 1km thanks to the extender. Through the olin digiscope and my samsung s22, there was a drop off in quality due to the shitty camera. With my naked eye, I could count the ram.

jb_358

FNG
A

About to “rent” one on Amazon and see for the 66.
Do you happen to have an update on this? I've seen other reviews mention the 66 with or without the extender, but never anyone comparing the extender value for different prominar objective bodies

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Do you happen to have an update on this? I've seen other reviews mention the 66 with or without the extender, but never anyone comparing the extender value for different prominar objective bodies
Not yet. Focusing on an NRL match this week. Can hopefully get to it in a few weeks. Sorry.

Interesting.

We used it on our Aug 2023 stone sheep hunt and it was incredibly useful. Would never hunt without one now.

I was able to see the 2nd annuli on a broomed ram from 1km thanks to the extender. Through the olin digiscope and my samsung s22, there was a drop off in quality due to the shitty camera. With my naked eye, I could count the ram.
What spotter was this on?

dapesche

WKR
jxYebhRh.jpg

this would've been taken at approx 0.60m = ~1km. Likely magnified on the cell phone cam.

Last edited:
I had the extendar and bought it when I had my 88, then went to the 77 tried it on there and it wasn't amazing. Around the time the 66 came out I offered it up to be used for a review, they didn't want to use it so I sold it, it never was anything that was amazing, sure you could get higher mag, but your picture deteriorated quite a bit. Never tried my self on a 66 and not sure it's worth buying at full price to play with on that scope.

See Matt's review on the scope he talks about the extendar in there on the 66