1/2 ton GMC

Bears

FNG
Another consideration is the cost of diesel is pretty close to diesel, and the 6.2 is recommended to run premium fuel.

I have a 6.2 in my Yukon, and get 22MPG on the highway. It's a rocket ship too, very nice truck towing, passing, just general driving.

There's nothing like the low-end torque of a diesel engine so consider that when towing.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice. Pick the best deal.

bpa556

FNG
Another consideration is the cost of diesel is pretty close to diesel, and the 6.2 is recommended to run premium fuel.

I have a 6.2 in my Yukon, and get 22MPG on the highway. It's a rocket ship too, very nice truck towing, passing, just general driving.

There's nothing like the low-end torque of a diesel engine so consider that when towing.

I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice. Pick the best deal.

I know you meant premium, but my wife has the 6.2 and premium is more expensive than diesel where we live.

I drive a Cummins (for clarity on my price comparison).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

randy66

FNG
I have a 2020 3.0 Silverado rst. It has been trouble free until last month. The timing chain went. I have 110k on it, just out of warranty but GM is splitting the cost of repairs with me. Beyond that I love the truck, great mileage, great towing, very comfortable.

Bears

FNG
I know you meant premium, but my wife has the 6.2 and premium is more expensive than diesel where we live.

I drive a Cummins (for clarity on my price comparison).

Yeah kind of hard to compare premium to itself....I wish that were true here, premium @ Costco is $3.61/gal, while diesel is $3.99/gal today.

(My weekend truck is a 6.6 Duramax, but didn't mention it as it's irrelevant to the OPs comparison)

I'm longing for the days of 99c diesel, never to return.

The small fuel tank (24 gallon) for the 6.2L is an issue for me. I bought an AT4 6.2L last September. It has 5100 miles. I've tracked every tank of fuel. It's averaged 14.5 mpg. My best mileage was actually my very first tank with all highway miles at 17.9 mpg. My worst was 12.4 mpg. The low fuel warnings usually start about 19 gallons into the tank, so regularly 250 miles you start planning the next fuel up. We didn't take my truck on any of my longer road trips last fall, as I was waiting on a camper shell to arrive. I imagine on more desolate night time drives, I'd start thinking about the next gas station at the 200 mile mark.

I debated the two engines quite a bit. I probably would have gone with the 3.0, but went with a nearby "on the lot" 6.2L, because AT4 standard 6.5' boxes get a little trickier to find and they had one.

While researching, I looked into after market fuel tanks. From what I remember diesel tanks are easy to find and you could get up to 50 or 60 gallon tanks. Larger gas aftermarket tanks were almost nonexistent. I think there was a company in Australia that made them. I assume liability issues for someone to market them in the US.

Other than the fuel tank size, I love the truck and the 6.2L is a runner. No issues with passing or getting up to speed on an interstate on-ramp.

Good luck with your choice!

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
Myself and my brother in law recently switched from gas to diesel and the range on the fuel tank was a primary driver for both of us. He had suburban with the 6.2l and bought a 1500 Silverado with the 3.0l diesel. He's only had it a couple weeks and loves it, but clearly hasn't had any of the long term maintenance issues. I had an F150 with the 3.5l turbo and a 30 gal tank. When you're towing a trailer the fuel ecconomy/range is about 1/2 to 3/4 of that when you're empty. As a result when you're on a trip pulling a trailer, you're getting gas ALL THE TIME! There are gas stations all over the interstate that are frequntly busy and you're in a truck pulling a trailer so it's significatly more challenging. In addition to the longer range, one other benifit to the diesel is you can get fuel with semis at truck stops instead of withthe cars, so it's much less of a cluster fu#$ (my expieience so far).

Last edited:

Mrcrosno

FNG
I was in the market for a new truck this past June and I wanted the super cruise feature which was pretty hard to come by at the time. I finally found a dealership that had gotten one, that wasn’t pre-sold but it was the 3.0 diesel.

Always having gas trucks in the past, I wasn’t sure but after some research and reading reviews I decided to give it a try. I don’t need the diesel I only tow a small enclosed trailer a couple times a year.

Here are my thoughts after 8’ish months and 13,000 miles.

1. Over the 13,000 miles I have averaged 21.7 mpg according to the trucks computer. I don’t think I drive that aggressively and have been pretty disappointed with that number. If you drive longer commutes without much stop and go between 55-70mph you will get good mileage though.

2. Fill ups can be a pain waiting for a diesel pump to open up.

3. I never realized how much the price of diesel fluctuates from one station to the next so I’ve had to start paying attention to the stations off the highway that are .75/gallon more than some others.

4. Oil changes at the dealership are double what gas vehicles are.

5. DEF while I’ve only had to put 15’ish gallons in is just another thing to have to do and pay for and pay attention to.

6. Outside of that I really like the interior of the truck, the comfort and drive-ability and I personally like the super cruise and use it frequently.

If you’re trying to save money over gas with a lower fuel bill it’s quickly outweighed by the additional cost and I will most likely go back to gas or hybrid in the future. My friend has a power boost and averages 20mpg.

Weldor

WKR
I'm not an expert by any means but I personally would be concerned.

So many DEF horror stories out there...had a couple myself until I deleted it.

I'd have a hard time buying a diesel for a daily driver/around town/short trips rig unless I planned to get rid of it before the warranty was up.
I agree they are not made for soccer mom's and grocery getter's. They are made to work and tow. Short trips just soot them up. As far a s maint. goes you don't see many gasser's on the road with 450,000 mile on them and still going strong.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I was in the market for a new truck this past June and I wanted the super cruise feature which was pretty hard to come by at the time. I finally found a dealership that had gotten one, that wasn’t pre-sold but it was the 3.0 diesel.

Always having gas trucks in the past, I wasn’t sure but after some research and reading reviews I decided to give it a try. I don’t need the diesel I only tow a small enclosed trailer a couple times a year.

Here are my thoughts after 8’ish months and 13,000 miles.

1. Over the 13,000 miles I have averaged 21.7 mpg according to the trucks computer. I don’t think I drive that aggressively and have been pretty disappointed with that number. If you drive longer commutes without much stop and go between 55-70mph you will get good mileage though.

2. Fill ups can be a pain waiting for a diesel pump to open up.

3. I never realized how much the price of diesel fluctuates from one station to the next so I’ve had to start paying attention to the stations off the highway that are .75/gallon more than some others.

4. Oil changes at the dealership are double what gas vehicles are.

5. DEF while I’ve only had to put 15’ish gallons in is just another thing to have to do and pay for and pay attention to.

6. Outside of that I really like the interior of the truck, the comfort and drive-ability and I personally like the super cruise and use it frequently.

If you’re trying to save money over gas with a lower fuel bill it’s quickly outweighed by the additional cost and I will most likely go back to gas or hybrid in the future. My friend has a power boost and averages 20mpg.
I’d have to try hard to get 21.7 when I had mine. Even my wife that drives like a 16 year old boy trying to impress the prom queen did better. 😂

Mrcrosno

FNG
I’d have to try hard to get 21.7 when I had mine. Even my wife that drives like a 16 year old boy trying to impress the prom queen did better. 😂
Lots of traffic and stop and go, driving with the flow of traffic.

If your on a highway under 75mph it’s 25mpg plus but that’s not the majority of my driving.

I think the highway estimate of 28 mpg is correct but the city of 24mpg is not.

the 6.2 is one of the best gas engines you can get with just a electronic afm delete and proper oil change schedule. millage is s good or better than a 3.5 ecoboost, 5.0 5.3. The 2.7s from gm and ford may best it. Lift anything you will loose millage.

premium is not required, its recommended. We've put a combined 400,000 km on 2 different 6.2 8 speed combos at work and 99% 87 octane. they occasionally ping a bit on acceleration. no knocking no check engine lights. I also use 5w-30 in them no 0w-20.

The 3.0 duramax time will tell. Local dealer says they have been better than the v8s(lifter failure) as has the 2.7 inline 4.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
I went from the 5.3 to the 6.2. It’s amazing and the power is nice when pulling a trailer.

LFC911

WKR
As far as maintenance goes on the 3.0, i do my own oil changes and order the kit from RockAuto, which the last one i did in January cost me $67.91 with 7 quarts of oil, filter, tax and shipping. That's the cheapest I've found.

schmalzy

WKR
I would definitely get the baby Duramax.

The era of large displacement gas engines being the best option in a half ton pickup (really the vast majority of pickups) is over.

What’s interesting is I think it’s the opposite in 3/4 tons. Reliability on big gas engines in GM 2500s is tough to beat.

I just went through this.

If not going to tow 7500lbs or more than the 3.0 is awesome. Loved the way it drove too, though short test drives.

Be aware the 9-12k tow rating is very deceiving. Many guys have good experience towing 7500+ but officially it’s likely over both the payload and tongue weight capacity.

Payload rating in 1400-1600 range I think.

Tongue weight rating about 900lbs.

Depends on model but this was a sad deal breaker for me towing 7500-9000mule trailer. Was so bummed.

Otherwise I’d have hopped on it fast.

What’s interesting is I think it’s the opposite in 3/4 tons. Reliability on big gas engines in GM 2500s is tough to beat.

I'd agree. For most people buying a 3/4 ton (especially GM) the gasser is the logical choice.

I drive a diesel F250, but I'm just a diesel guy. Lol

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
I have a '22 3.0 SLT and have had a few minor issues, covered under warranty. I had a 4" Ready Lift installed and 34" tires and sits slightly higher than a Trail Boss or AT4, for a lot less $$$$. I average around 22 mpg on the highway running 5-7 over and get about 500 miles out of a tank of fuel. I love it as a hunting rig and has been one of my favorite trucks.
View attachment 682392
View attachment 682393
@LFC911

That is a beautiful ride. Any more pics with the lift? Also what cap is that