1/2 ton GMC

Have the 6.2 at4 and would not get it again if you travel a lot. No maintenance issues in 45k miles so far and love the truck. 17mpg is about my best highway on average. Towing and passing is great with or without a trailer, but I am always looking for the next gas station. I can always find diesel but sometimes struggle to find premium and if I do, some of those one off or smaller stations have supper old premium gas causing knocking issues. My main gripe has always been that the tank is far too small for the truck. If it was 30 ish gallons I would love everything about the 6.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
Have the 6.2 at4 and would not get it again if you travel a lot. No maintenance issues in 45k miles so far and love the truck. 17mpg is about my best highway on average. Towing and passing is great with or without a trailer, but I am always looking for the next gas station. I can always find diesel but sometimes struggle to find premium and if I do, some of those one off or smaller stations have supper old premium gas causing knocking issues. My main gripe has always been that the tank is far too small for the truck. If it was 30 ish gallons I would love everything about the 6.2.

That’s another good point. The 3.0 diesel gets 650 or so on a tank of fuel!

JBHunt_3

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2022 GMC 3.0 duramax and the advice I would give is get every warranty available, you will need it. I just rolled over 70k miles on mine and have had all kinds of problems.

Leaky radiator
Melted fuse box
Multiple thermostats needing replacement
Engine Cooling fan comes on full blast at start up (assume this is due to the bad thermostats)
Check engine light is constantly on

Now this is a work rig and it gets rode pretty hard but it seems like I have had a lot of problems in the 1.5 years I’ve had the truck.

I average about 22.5 overall and you can definitely average 25-26 on the freeway or more if you keep the speeds reasonable.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider

That’s interesting that you’re getting 17 highway, I regularly get 23-24 (highway) with mine. Major difference is that mine is an X31 SLT instead of the AT4, so it doesn’t have the lift and has less aggressive tires.

LFC911

WKR
I have a '22 3.0 SLT and have had a few minor issues, covered under warranty. I had a 4" Ready Lift installed and 34" tires and sits slightly higher than a Trail Boss or AT4, for a lot less $$$$. I average around 22 mpg on the highway running 5-7 over and get about 500 miles out of a tank of fuel. I love it as a hunting rig and has been one of my favorite trucks.
IMG_2793.jpeg
IMG_1481.jpeg

LFC911

WKR
No onw is concerned with his "short short" daily commutes and the diesel?
I have 42k on mine and live 2 miles from work...obviously with those kind of miles in 2 years we drive a lot of other places but I'm rolling the dice...probably should have bought the extended warranty but the drive train is covered up to 60k.

tdhanses

WKR
I have a 2022 GMC 3.0 duramax and the advice I would give is get every warranty available, you will need it. I just rolled over 70k miles on mine and have had all kinds of problems.

Leaky radiator
Melted fuse box
Multiple thermostats needing replacement
Engine Cooling fan comes on full blast at start up (assume this is due to the bad thermostats)
Check engine light is constantly on

Now this is a work rig and it gets rode pretty hard but it seems like I have had a lot of problems in the 1.5 years I’ve had the truck.

I average about 22.5 overall and you can definitely average 25-26 on the freeway or more if you keep the speeds reasonable.

Guess I got lucky 55k and zero issues.

tdhanses

WKR
Not on a modern 1/2 ton, they are made for this and the EGR actually have the coolant running through it so it gets to operating temps really fast even in the middle of winter.

Now with a 3/4 ton yes.

tdhanses

WKR
I have 42k on mine and live 2 miles from work...obviously with those kind of miles in 2 years we drive a lot of other places but I'm rolling the dice...probably should have bought the extended warranty but the drive train is covered up to 60k.
Powertrain is covered to 100k.

LFC911

WKR
Powertrain is covered to 100k.

"Covers the components below for repairs, including parts and labor, due to defects in materials and/or workmanship for the duration of the warranty. Typical powertrain warranties last for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, but other durations are available."

180ls1

WKR

"Covers the components below for repairs, including parts and labor, due to defects in materials and/or workmanship for the duration of the warranty. Typical powertrain warranties last for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first, but other durations are available."

Yeah, diesel guys are quick to talk fuel economy but slow to mention repair costs. I have a Cummins myself. The fuel economy is fantastic but the cost difference of repairs like the fuel pump, injectors, emissions equipment and so on can wipe out those savings VERY quickly.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider

I'm not an expert by any means but I personally would be concerned.

So many DEF horror stories out there...had a couple myself until I deleted it.

I'd have a hard time buying a diesel for a daily driver/around town/short trips rig unless I planned to get rid of it before the warranty was up.

Zak406

Lil-Rokslider
Could someone define "short trips"? My typical commute is 20ish miles or 25-30 minutes

I wouldn’t consider that short. Keep in mind I make the same trip in my 6.6 dmax but I am deleted

tdhanses

WKR

When I bought my 2021 3.0, all diesels came with a 5yr 100k powertrain and an 8yr 80k emissions warranty, then your standard 3yr 36k bumper to bumper.

IMG_9840.png

Last edited: