0 MOA or 20 MOA mount with Maven RS1 / Tikka 6.5

Vangysway

FNG
Rookie rifle shooter and hunter here. I have no plans on shooting animals past 400 yards, but would ideally like to become as proficient as possible shooting long range. Is there any downsides to going with a 20MOA scope attachment? I’m looking at DNZ Game Reaper and the difference between 20MOA medium and 0MOA low is 1/8”.

Thanks in advance!

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
That would depend on how far you're planning to shoot . For 400 yards a 0 MOA is totally appropriate under most circumstances.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Depends on how your scope lands on the rifle/if you have enough travel in the turret for intended shooting distances.

OP
Vangysway

Vangysway

FNG
Thanks for your responses. I’d like to target shoot out to 1,000 yards (if that’s even realistic at 15x zoom), but don’t plan on taking far rifle shots while hunting. My scope is 100MOA, so I have the MOA left to shoot past 600 on a 0MOA mount, but have read it’s best to not max out the MOA clicks and obviously with 20MOA I’ll have more travel adjustment capability.

Is there any downside of having the 20MOA base?

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
People shoot 1,000 with fixed 10's.. I have a 4-12 on my 22-250 and stretched it to 1,000 on no wind days.
It's not necessarily bad to run to the edge of scope adjustment, as long as it tracks then it's no different then being in the middleof adjustment. With some scopes and a 20 you could end up on the upper end of adjust just to get zeroed.
20moa bases cant the scope down in the front, the longer the scope, the longer the scope the better odds you have of needing taller rings. If you like to run your scopes as low as possible then you may need to switch bases to clear the objective lens. on ARs, chassis guns with full shrouds or big crazy bull barrels it's more of an issue. All of my rifles have 20 moa rails..

Bottom line for my recommendation: if 1,000 yards is "long range" for you. 20moa rail is not needed but if you want it, get it.

ChrisAU

WKR
Rather have it and not need than need it and not have it. 20 MOA isn’t going to affect the optical quality of a modern optics and unless your scope is 2 feet long it isn’t gonna change your ring height.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
Hold on... base angle absolutely can change ring height, IF the the scope is super low. I have first hand experience swapping a 20moa rail on a ruger american with a giant vortex venom 56mm objective lens. Went from barely clearing the barrel to no gap...

ChrisAU

WKR
Hold on... base angle absolutely can change ring height, IF the the scope is super low. I have first hand experience swapping a 20moa rail on a ruger american with a giant vortex venom 56mm objective lens. Went from barely clearing the barrel to no gap...

Been a while since I set up a scope to be as low as possible, but I could see it. Good point.

I have a 20 MOA base on my Tikka 223 and 7 mag. I don't think there's really a downside. If you get your scope mounted properly, a decent bipod, and a good rear rest, you'll hit steel at 400 with your Tikka all day long before you know it.

BLJ

WKR
20 MOA because why not. Have it and not need it, need it and not have it.