Zulu6 + a rangefinder *or* RF Binos ($2k limit)

tjr

FNG
Trying to decide between IS binos + a nice rangefinder, or spending more on RF binos and ditching the rangefinder altogether...

For reference, 75% of my hunting is archery deer/elk/bear hunting in the jungle (N. ID / NE WA / NW MT). The other 25% is spring bear hunting in way bigger country with a rifle. I've been dabbling in the shooting-steel-at-longer-ranges game, so I'll use the optics for that too.

During archery season, I don't even carry a spotting scope, since visibility is rarely over 200yds. During spring bear, I go light and fast, carrying a spotter ~50% of the time. The idea with the new optics setup is to eliminate the spotter for most hunts.

With some pro discounts, I can keep the following setups around $2k or less, so I'm thinking:
- Sig Zulu6 HDX + Revic BR4
- Revic BLR10b

So...to those of you with more experince - which route would you choose? Or, which options am I not considering? What factors should I keep in mind?

nobody

WKR
Maybe I’m just naive, but I don’t see IS technology being adopted across the board. Cannon made a pair a long time ago and they never caught on en masse, so it’s not like it’s brand new tech. The FOV is narrower by nature of the increased magnification, the low light performance is compromised when compared with standard binoculars, and the electronics are a failure point that would render a pair of 16’s all but completely useless if the electronics failed. Right now everyone is talking about them because they’re newer to the market, but the only ones offering them are SIG and Kite. If one of the big 3 companies adopts IS tech, then maybe I’ll change my tune. But until then, it’s really only SIG and Kite doing them right now, and if it this tech was really going to be the end-all be-all, everyone else would be doing it. I personally see way more cons than pros, even though it’s kindof a neat idea.

I would personally rather run a standard pair of optics in a standard configuration alongside a good rangefinder than use IS binos with a RF. To me, IS is just not worth the squeeze.

The Revic Acura BLR10B RF binos are top of the heap for RF binos, but are $2600. If you can save up a couple extra months or sell some old gear you’re not using to come up with another $600 to add to your limit, you’ll have a solution that doesn’t compromise on any level. Personally, I would do that. If there’s really NO WAY you can swing them financially, the Vortex Fury’s are between $1k and $1500 depending on if you get them with AB, and reviews on them are promising.

OP
tjr

tjr

FNG
Maybe I’m just naive, but I don’t see IS technology being adopted across the board. Cannon made a pair a long time ago and they never caught on en masse, so it’s not like it’s brand new tech. The FOV is narrower by nature of the increased magnification, the low light performance is compromised when compared with standard binoculars, and the electronics are a failure point that would render a pair of 16’s all but completely useless if the electronics failed. Right now everyone is talking about them because they’re newer to the market, but the only ones offering them are SIG and Kite. If one of the big 3 companies adopts IS tech, then maybe I’ll change my tune. But until then, it’s really only SIG and Kite doing them right now, and if it this tech was really going to be the end-all be-all, everyone else would be doing it. I personally see way more cons than pros, even though it’s kindof a neat idea.

I would personally rather run a standard pair of optics in a standard configuration alongside a good rangefinder than use IS binos with a RF. To me, IS is just not worth the squeeze.

The Revic Acura BLR10B RF binos are top of the heap for RF binos, but are $2600. If you can save up a couple extra months or sell some old gear you’re not using to come up with another $600 to add to your limit, you’ll have a solution that doesn’t compromise on any level. Personally, I would do that. If there’s really NO WAY you can swing them financially, the Vortex Fury’s are between $1k and $1500 depending on if you get them with AB, and reviews on them are promising.
Relevant concerns for sure.

Fortunately, I get 25% off on the Revic stuff, so the binos come out to about $2k and the RF is $900ish, so I’m kind of comparing all my options against those prices.

That’s how I came to the top options being:
Zulu6 ($1k) + BR4 ($~900) = ~2k
vs.
BLR10b (~2k)

For archery I am going back to seperate binos and RF. For Rifle I love the combo units. For archery, when you are trying to get close and need to move slow and get a range I don't like having to dig big binos out of the harness. Its much smother to use a small RF. As far as the binos. I went with an 8x with a decent FOV.

bigbuckdj

WKR
For archery I am going back to seperate binos and RF. For Rifle I love the combo units. For archery, when you are trying to get close and need to move slow and get a range I don't like having to dig big binos out of the harness. Its much smother to use a small RF. As far as the binos. I went with an 8x with a decent FOV.
I agree with this fella. I don’t really see the rf binos making you more lethal with a bow. I have and use zulu6s so I like them, not trying to over hype them but I suggest you mess with a pair. It’s really an eye opener when you flip the switch.

OP
tjr

tjr

FNG
That’s a good thing to keep in mind. I hadn’t even considered the hassle of wrestling a bigger piece of equipment out of my chest rig one-handed while putting the stalk on an animal.

180ls1

WKR
Something different;

Archery elk - Used 8x42 Monarch HG - $550 - 435' fov (Monarch 7 can be had for $350 slightly less FOV and Image quality, hardly noticable)
Bear - 16x Zulu6 $1k

$450 for your preferred RF.

Last edited:
If you mainly archery hunt where visibility is 200 yards I personally wouldn’t choose either one. I have the 16x sigs and the br4 and find both would be too much magnification for archery. For glassing and rifle hunting this setup is ideal for me. I do wish sig would incorporate a rangefinder in them or revic incorporate the IS in their binos.