Zero aspartame/sugar healthier protein/meal replacement bars?

Wrongside

WKR
I’m trying to put together a healthier backpacking menu this year. Have been trying and liking some better freeze dried meals. But still searching for low/zero sugar, balanced, high protein bars.

What have Roksliders been eating on the mountain? Recommendations please.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't found one my myself.

Eat almost zero added sugar in my daily life.

But on hunts I don't mind sugar. Quick carbs/fuel and easy digesting.

But I look for the real deal. Agave, Honey, Cane, none of the artifical sweetners.

OP
W

Wrongside

WKR
Haven't found one my myself.

Eat almost zero added sugar in my daily life.

But on hunts I don't mind sugar. Quick carbs/fuel and easy digesting.

But I look for the real deal. Agave, Honey, Cane, none of the artifical sweetners.
My daily diet sounds similar. Over a year ago, I cut almost all processed foods, alcohol, soft drinks, and any foods with added/high sugar. It was kind of a grind at first, but has really improved my overall gut health and just how I feel overall. Hate to go backwards from that.

I backpack hunt pretty much year round, and a lot Sept thru Jan. Most weekends and 2-3 week + trips. It adds up to a lot of junk food. Too much.

I’ll keep looking for more naturally sweetened bar options. Appreciate the thoughts!

OP
W

Wrongside

WKR
Perfect bars are sweetened with honey and have tons of calories, they're typically my go to bar for hunting
This one?

This one?

Yes. They're a refrigerated product but they last over a week even if its hot out while im backpacking, the outside of them just get a bit oily from the oils in them.

If you get the chocolate chip ones, the chips they use do contain some sugar tho. Same with the chocolate coating on their peanut butter cups, but DAMN are those tasty! lol

bj00pb

FNG
I've been trying these. Maybe not exactly what you're asking for, but low sugar and low added sugar. I'm a pretty healthy insulin dependant diabetic and like someone said earlier I don't mind a little extra sugar on the mountain. These have worked for me

Poser

WKR
OP
W

Wrongside

WKR
Appreciate all the suggestions guys! I’ll check each one out. I maybe overstressed the ‘no sugar’ criteria, more like no added. Or if added, preferably natural sweeteners. Just looking for options to many of the commonly available bars, which are almost like eating a Snickers in terms of sugar content.

Also went down a bit of a rabbit hole last night, and started experimenting with my wife on making our own protein bars. First batch is quite tasty and calorie dense. But not as high in protein as I’d like, so we’re going to try adding pure whey protein isolate and see how that affects the taste.

Thanks again everyone. :)

Zdub02

WKR
Lara bar is another healthy option with minimal processing and natural ingredients. They do come in low on the protein count tho so keep that in mind.

dirtshooter

Lil-Rokslider

Interesting video on protein bars I thought. Has me wondering about alternatives as I do like the fit crunch bars myself.

OP
W

Wrongside

WKR

Interesting video on protein bars I thought. Has me wondering about alternatives as I do like the fit crunch bars myself.
That video was one of the reasons I started this thread. LOL. The final push I needed to clean up this part of my backpack menu. I’ve made changes to my breakfasts, other snacks, electrolytes and freeze dried suppers. It’ll be nice to have healthier snack bar alternatives.

Poser

WKR
That video was one of the reasons I started this thread. LOL. The final push I needed to clean up this part of my backpack menu. I’ve made changes to my breakfasts, other snacks, electrolytes and freeze dried suppers. It’ll be nice to have healthier snack bar alternatives.

I've really cleaned up my backcountry eating as well. I used to just go for it with poptarts, snickers bars etc. I didn't eat like that in day to day life by any stretch, but I started perceiving the inflammation effects when I was out in the mountains so started cutting back to the sugar to minimal amounts.

In addition to the 2 bars I mentioned above, these Rip Van Waffles are a 3g of sugar alternative to Honey Stingers and quite good. I like them better than Honey Stingers. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N531XR...&amp=&crid=1EDHNT6PKHP1P&amp=&sprefix=rip+van