Zeiss V6 Repair Status Update

I sent a Zeiss V6 3x18 scope in for repairs as the parallax was not working after my hunt last year. Gun was spot on at 400 yards when dialing. Returned to zero.

This was the response I just got back. They only took about a week to get back to me which was nice.

We have completed the inspection on your CONQUEST V6 3-18x50.

Your scope was tested for focus and parallax from 50 yards out to infinity and it operates as intended. We further tested it on the collimator at 50 yards and at infinity and your scope has proper parallax alignment and focus. All focus and parallax tests meet or exceed factory specifications for this scope.

We have found that the tube of the scope has a very slight oblong shape on the outer diameter where rings have been mounted which indicates that it was deformed during mounting. This is usually caused by over tightening of the ring cap screws.

Due to the close tolerances of the internal tube it is important to make sure proper torque specifications are followed while mounting. We recommend between 15-18 inch lbs. of torque on ring cap screws for our optics. Please do not use thread lock of any kind.

Caution must be taken while mounting the scope and you must verify operation during tightening periodically to ensure normal operation is not impeded by over tightening the mounts.

If parallax or turret travel is impeded, you may have to back your ring screws off to maintain normal operation of your optic.

I responded that I use Talley rings and a Wheeler electronic torque wrench. I don't use thread lock. There were no marks, scratches or any evidence of over tightening on the tube when I took it off to sent in.

This is a $2,000 scope I find it hard to believe I bent the tube. I've mounted at least 20 scopes using this wrench and have never had an issue!!!! I keep the torque max 18 in/lbs. +- about 0.5 in/lbs. If this is enough to bend a tube I'm done with Zeiss!!!!! There are no issues with elevation or windage adjustments and the gun has maintained zero. So I I have to back off on the screws if my parallax doesn't adjust????? Doesn't this compromise my scope mounting??? I'm an engineer and understand tolerances and I'm a bit anal about my scope mounting, okay more then a bit...lol

Has anyone else had this issue.

OP
T
I'm actually impressed with Zeiss's service. I just received a call from a Zeiss tech. He stated that it would take much more than 25 in/lbs to even come close to affecting the tube. He stated that the issue was very slight and does not impact the scope operations. He didn't see any issues with how I mount the rings. He would not say if it was some type of manufacturing issue. He stated that 18 in/lbs is perfectly ok for the ring torque. All the dials adjust as designed . The only way to see the slight deformity was to slowly rotate the scope in the rings and I would notice a slight tick. He told me if I had any more issues to call him and he would help address the issue. He was going to send me the scope back ASAP.

I'll give the scope a good test day when I get it back. Not going to perform Forms scope drop test!!!!!

Elite

WKR
I sent a Zeiss V6 3x18 scope in for repairs as the parallax was not working after my hunt last year. Gun was spot on at 400 yards when dialing. Returned to zero.

This was the response I just got back. They only took about a week to get back to me which was nice.

We have completed the inspection on your CONQUEST V6 3-18x50.

Your scope was tested for focus and parallax from 50 yards out to infinity and it operates as intended. We further tested it on the collimator at 50 yards and at infinity and your scope has proper parallax alignment and focus. All focus and parallax tests meet or exceed factory specifications for this scope.

We have found that the tube of the scope has a very slight oblong shape on the outer diameter where rings have been mounted which indicates that it was deformed during mounting. This is usually caused by over tightening of the ring cap screws.

Due to the close tolerances of the internal tube it is important to make sure proper torque specifications are followed while mounting. We recommend between 15-18 inch lbs. of torque on ring cap screws for our optics. Please do not use thread lock of any kind.

Caution must be taken while mounting the scope and you must verify operation during tightening periodically to ensure normal operation is not impeded by over tightening the mounts.

If parallax or turret travel is impeded, you may have to back your ring screws off to maintain normal operation of your optic.

I responded that I use Talley rings and a Wheeler electronic torque wrench. I don't use thread lock. There were no marks, scratches or any evidence of over tightening on the tube when I took it off to sent in.

This is a $2,000 scope I find it hard to believe I bent the tube. I've mounted at least 20 scopes using this wrench and have never had an issue!!!! I keep the torque max 18 in/lbs. +- about 0.5 in/lbs. If this is enough to bend a tube I'm done with Zeiss!!!!! There are no issues with elevation or windage adjustments and the gun has maintained zero. So I I have to back off on the screws if my parallax doesn't adjust????? Doesn't this compromise my scope mounting??? I'm an engineer and understand tolerances and I'm a bit anal about my scope mounting, okay more then a bit...lol

Has anyone else had this issue.

Those scopes do run a very thin tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm actually impressed with Zeiss's service. I just received a call from a Zeiss tech. He stated that it would take much more than 25 in/lbs to even come close to affecting the tube. He stated that the issue was very slight and does not impact the scope operations. He didn't see any issues with how I mount the rings. He would not say if it was some type of manufacturing issue. He stated that 18 in/lbs is perfectly ok for the ring torque. All the dials adjust as designed . The only way to see the slight deformity was to slowly rotate the scope in the rings and I would notice a slight tick. He told me if I had any more issues to call him and he would help address the issue. He was going to send me the scope back ASAP.

I'll give the scope a good test day when I get it back. Not going to perform Forms scope drop test!!!!!
It wouldn’t pass the drop test. I missed a very nice mule deer learning that.

SDHNTR

WKR
22 oz says it all, unfortunately. It’s too bad. That scope has so much potential.

Also, Talley’s that aren’t lapped bite the crap out of scope tubes. That coulda been your problem too.

Last edited:
OP
T
I'm going to test it out but skip the Form drop test...lol.

I never had problems with Talleys. Due to the thin scope tube was thinking of switched to a set of 3 screw seekins I have with a rail??????

Elite

WKR
I'm going to test it out but skip the Form drop test...lol.

I never had problems with Talleys. Due to the thin scope tube was thinking of switched to a set of 3 screw seekins I have with a rail??????
Talleys is all I ever used. Never had a issue with them

I would suggest Burris Signature xtr rings as they have 3 screws and are fully adjustable. I have been using burris signture and xtr rings on everything for all my rifles. I will dont understand why people us metal to metal contact when you have this option. It will eliminate bending or overall point stress due to profile mismatch of scope to ring, no need to sand rings ,etc. You will get better contact with the plastic insert and dont worry about damage. Makes all other rings obsolete in my opinion.