Zeiss v6 conquet 3-18x50 alternatives

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I'm leaning towards a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 but I'd like to hear of some alternatives in the same size/magnification/weight range. I like Kahles but the weight of the Zeiss won me over - but the Kahles features are appealing especially considering I can set it up lefty - but then again, I won't use the windage dial much. The 11 oz difference in weight is a lot. I don't like the non-locking/no cap windage turret on the V6 - that's what has me second guessing. I hold for wind and once set, I'd like to cap it and leave it be. I've used Nightforce Nx8- liked it but found the eye relief & glass on the Zeiss suited me better and the NF is heavier but very durable - so far that's the next in line but what else is there? I tend to find myself shooting in low light more often than not ...

Last edited:
I’m going to be selling a zeiss v6 5-30x50 if you decide to go that route. Not a ton in this size/weight range that’s very good.

WKR

WKR
I pretty much posted the same exact thing you did a few weeks ago. I really don't understand why they dont cap or lock the windage on the v6, they are basically turning away customers like you and I. I'm probably going to end up with the NX8 because of its reputation. You could look at the leopold mark 5 3.6-18x44 as it is pretty lightweight but it has mixed reviews

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Supposedly they will have a turrets on the v6 like the v4 but so far they’re not available. Hate to buy an expensive scope and tape the windage turret. It’s just too easy to knock the windage turret pulling off the pack or out of the scabbard. That’s what has me rethinking the V6.

WKR

WKR
Supposedly they will have a turrets on the v6 like the v4 but so far they’re not available. Hate to buy an expensive scope and tape the windage turret. It’s just too easy to knock the windage turret pulling off the pack or out of the scabbard. That’s what has me rethinking the V6.
I agree, its a deal killer for me. I have looked down multiple times and seen my elevation turret spun on my v4's. I dont want to worry about two spun turrets. When are the v6's supposed to be updated?

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a V6 3-18x50 I will gladly sell you. I’ll even throw in a whole roll of electrical tape so you can make several lifetimes worth of locking windage turrets! I’m serious. Pm me if interested.

WKR

WKR
I have a V6 3-18x50 I will gladly sell you. I’ll even throw in a whole roll of electrical tape so you can make several lifetimes worth of locking windage turrets! I’m serious. Pm me if interested.
Haha which reticle? Ofcourse the op has first dibs but im semi interested

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the offer but it can go to whomever. The scope is part of the package of a new build - i have the Zeiss picked out but will have others to pick from - but choices may be limited - the NF is another option so far. Want to get my hands on them all and pick is part of it too.

choovhntr

WKR
Leica amplus 6 is an alternative with capped windage turret and same weight

March compact is another option, but not sure if they offer a capped windage turret on their compact tactical model.

Skoal3

FNG
I'm leaning towards a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 but I'd like to hear of some alternatives in the same size/magnification/weight range. I like Kahles but the weight of the Zeiss won me over - but the Kahles features are appealing especially considering I can set it up lefty - but then again, I won't use the windage dial much. The 11 oz difference in weight is a lot. I don't like the non-locking/no cap windage turret on the V6 - that's what has me second guessing. I hold for wind and once set, I'd like to cap it and leave it be. I've used Nightforce Nx8- liked it but found the eye relief & glass on the Zeiss suited me better and the NF is heavier but very durable - so far that's the next in line but what else is there? I tend to find myself shooting in low light more often than not ...
I realize this is an old thread. Hopefully you found the scope you were looking for. If so, would you mind telling us what you went with and why? If not, did you consider the Schmidt & Bender zenith 3-12x50? A little less magnification but it does have a capped windage turret and a pretty unobtrusive elevation dial.

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up with a Zeiss LRP S3 because I liked the features and locking windage. I like the optic a lot except for the weight. I bought a TrijiconTenmile when they were on sale. It’s lighter by almost a pound but longer than I wish it were. I still may try something else but I’ll stay in the 20-25x zoom probably. Beyond 500yd at the range I feel I shoot better zoomed in more.

Skoal3

FNG
I ended up with a Zeiss LRP S3 because I liked the features and locking windage. I like the optic a lot except for the weight. I bought a TrijiconTenmile when they were on sale. It’s lighter by almost a pound but longer than I wish it were. I still may try something else but I’ll stay in the 20-25x zoom probably. Beyond 500yd at the range I feel I shoot better zoomed in more.

Just throwing this out there, mostly cause I’m interested and want some other peoples opinions. A fairly new offering from Steiner, based off of the T6xi. No locking elevation but the turret looks small enough that it wouldn’t be easily snagged on things. Capped windage, FFP, illumination. Seems like a nice optic. 3-18x50 and 2-12x42 also.

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
After using a few optics what I’ve learned. This is just me. I get this shit in my head of how to make things better - but there’s always a trade off

Eyebox/setup is key. Some I have issues with, some I don’t. Just move it to what works for you.

I don’t use the illumination enough to think I need it or pay for it.

I’d rather have capped windage. I hold and never touch it again once zeroed.

I don’t notice the weight difference as much as I thought I would between 24-28oz and 35-38oz.

18x is fine but i regularly shoot 600 at the range and I do better when zoomed in more.

Don’t drive yourself too nuts over what’s best because what works for you will be different from what others think

Next up for me will be a NF probably. But I have extra optics now…so I must buy another rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just throwing this out there, mostly cause I’m interested and want some other peoples opinions. A fairly new offering from Steiner, based off of the T6xi. No locking elevation but the turret looks small enough that it wouldn’t be easily snagged on things. Capped windage, FFP, illumination. Seems like a nice optic. 3-18x50 and 2-12x42 also.

It is MOA and historically Steiners have not been great in the durability department. It might be a good scope, but MOA is a non starter for most, and its questionable reliability and durability do not help it. The mil reticle version they showed is also heavily compromised as a hunting reticle.